Sequel: Warning
Status: completed

Precaution

Because Of You

I sat in the front seat of Kris’s Mercedes Benz after we dropped off Lucy’s things as well as Jordan and Max. I could see his knuckles were white as he clutched the steering wheel, the car turning into his street.

He was always someone I could depend on to be level headed and calm, to be logical and rational when I was not thinking clearly. But it felt like now he was just pissed and I was too afraid to say anything that might stir him back up into a fiery frenzy. So I just leaned my head against the window, watching the lights flash as we drove.

I had stayed in the car when Kris went to drop off Lucy’s bags, and I had watched her stand on Marc’s driveway with the suitcases in hand, watching the car with suspiciously. I had sunk further into the seat and praised the lord for tinted windows. The last thing I needed was to be lectured and handed a big “I told you so.”

It’s why I had chosen to stay with Kris, not Marc and Lucy. I couldn’t have faced her, not now.

I looked at Kris, his eyes steadily watching the road. He looked angry, but he also looked like he wanted to say something—he just lacked the words. I exhaled deeply and leaned back against the seat.

“It was an accident, I swear.” I said and I could see his expression soften slightly as I spoke. He looked at me quickly, but I could tell he was looking at my bruise and not me.

“Tell me what happened” He answered back and I looked at him, unsure of what to say without sounding pathetic.

“I came home and we got in a fight and—“ I stopped and shrugged, “I sound really stupid. And I just want you to know that I’m completely aware of it. This was just as much my fault as it was his.”

Kris gave a short, unamused laugh. “Yeah. Okay.” He said, rolling into the gated community and giving the guard a quick wave.
“Derek was cheating, I found out from answering his phone. It’s why he was so desperate to get it back. If this marriage doesn’t work out again, he’ll look bad in the papers and his parents wouldn’t exactly be thrilled either. “ I said and Kris turned around sharply.

“He what?” He yelled, making a sharp turn down the corner. “Jesus Christ, when I—“ I stopped him.

“Kris, no. Look, this engagement happened right after Sidney and I—right after whatever happened between the two of us. “ I shook my head, looking out at the street ahead. “I wasn’t over him. I still loved him—I’m not even sure I am over him now. Derek may have cheated physically but I did wrong first. Not only that, but I spend so much time in the hospital. “ I exhaled, shaking my head. “I never put Derek first. I loved Sidney, I loved surgery, and I loved my friends more than I could have ever loved him. “

Kris was silent as he pulled into his driveway. He didn’t say anything until he removed the keys out of his ignition and turned to face me. He watched me for a moment, his expression flickering from concerned to apologetic.

“Look, Violet. Before you go in I have to tel—“ he stopped short and looked down, like he was thinking. “You know what, no. You need this. Come on, lets go.” He said and opened the door to the car. I sat there, confused for a moment before he opened my door and grabbed my bag.

We walked through the door silently, him going in front of me. I could hear the familiar, comforting hum of the television mingling with the high notes of women’s voices. We had already passed the foyer and gone into the living room before I could put a face and name to the voice.

I froze at the entrance of the living room and Kris stopped by my side as well. I could feel my heart sink as I saw him, sitting there on the couch with his fiancée and Kris’s girlfriend.

Once again, I found myself struggling to breathe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Because Of You -- Ne-Yo