Sequel: Warning
Status: completed

Precaution

Have A Little Faith In Me (Final)

Today was the day.

I couldn’t believe it. My best friend was getting married. If I had more time to sit around and think, I’d probably be far more frightened at the thought of how fast everything went. A year ago next month, we were lugging boxes up in the cold snow and fantasizing about a fresh start.

Now our lives were so interconnected—Lucy, me, Sidney, Marc, Kris, everyone—it was inconceivable to think of things going another way. The bonds developed swiftly and were now indestructible. For better or for worse, we were all stuck with one another for a very long time.

I smiled to myself. For better or for worse.

I was glad it would be Lucy taking those vows today, not me. With Derek, it was always for worse. I know that with Marc and Lucy, it would always be for the better.

We sat in the large bathroom of the rented house, with makeup and hair people whizzing around the room in a big blur. I heard calls for curling irons and hairspray, for lipgloss and primer—the pieces of the machine whirling into place as the morning ticked on by. I just sat on a chair behind Lucy, who was sitting in front of the massive mirror. Every now and then she’d glance at me in the reflection nervously, as if though she had uncertainty. But I knew she didn’t. I just smiled back at her reassuringly and she was back to feeling confident.

Mario Lemieux had a friend who owned a large home overlooking the river and since they lived in Montreal for half the year, they happily offered their home for Marc and Lucy’s wedding.

It was a gorgeous house, a big stone mansion with a sprawling yard that was littered with big oaks. It had twelve rooms and most guests at this small ceremony were staying at the house. The actual ceremony would take place outside, near a small grove of trees that looked over the river.

I looked out the window, watching as everything was set up on the sunny day. Small white chairs were arranged in meticulous rows on the lush, green grass and flowers—daffodils—were strewn throughout. Big garlands of flowers were strung on the backs of chairs and smaller garlands placed in the branches of the trees. A wedding arch stood in front of the chairs, the arbor covered in sparkling yellow and white flowers.

Everything looked beautiful.

I turned away from the window, looking back at Lucy who was ready to put on the dress. It was simple and easy, lacking the ostentatious puff of taffeta and silk that characterized most bridal gowns.

Her dress was lovely, a white A-line gown made from chiffon that pooled slightly at the ground. A band of delicate white beading decorated her waist line, just below the strapless sweetheart cut.

The dressing assistants helped pull it over the undergarments, the white chiffon slipping easily over her thin frame. Her hair was styled in soft waves, tucked into a loose up do that was romantic and feminine and there was a small yellow flower tucked into her hair. She turned to me after the gown was zipped up and grinned.

“How do I look?” she asked as I took a drink of champagne, smoothing out the dark purple of my dress.

“Fantastic, Luce.” I said, giving her a hug. I was careful not to spill my champagne on the white dress, pulling back the glass gingerly.

“I’m so happy. I can’t believe this is happening.

“I think you can read minds or something because I was thinking about that early. “ I replied with a laugh, tossing back the golden liquid before hopping into the chair myself. The makeup and hair women went straight to work, seemingly grateful that I was the last person they’d help out. The other two bridesmaids, Lucy’s childhood friends Ana and Madeline, were already ready. They sat in their lighter purple dresses on the plush white chairs. They were all a little excited to be walking down the alter with Kris Letang and Maxime Talbot. Though truth be told, I was a little excited about walking down with Sidney too.

---

An hour and a half later, it was three in the afternoon and showtime. The afternoon light was a warm yellow, slightly orange and beautiful. It shone in thick rays across the yard, illuminating everything. The people had already begun to go to their seats and I peeked out from the house to look at everybody. Sidney was by my side as we stared out into the seats, trying to find the familiar faces.

The whole team was there including people from the coaching staff. Dan and his family were sitting three rows back from the front and his son saw us looking through. Sid gave a quick wave before we pushed down the white curtains on the double doors.

Within a few minutes, the doors burst open and soft music began playing. I took Sidney’s arm and we filed out to the house together, followed by Max and Ana and Kris and Madeline. Two of Pascal’s daughters followed behind us, throwing down a medley of yellow and white petals onto the white carpet. The afternoon light made us all glow, all look perfect and happy. I smiled walking down, giving a small wave to Marc who was all alone on the alter with the priest. He grinned back with one of his bright smiles and Sidney and I separated. We filed off to the side, everyone’s eyes turning to the big white double doors. They opened all of a sudden, with the familiar march playing softly as Lucy walked out. She wanted to go out alone, she didn’t want there to be the element of someone giving her away. She was always her own to give away.

She walked down slowly to the music with everybody’s eyes trained on her. There were smiles and tears and hands flying to hearts as she walked to the alter. But the best part wasn’t all of that because I hadn’t been really paying that much attention. I was looking at Marc, watching the way he looked at her coming down that aisle. Everything seemed to be so romantically magical that even I started tearing up. And I was not an easy crier.

She got to the alter and the vows were said, everybody look so fantastically happy. Lucy looked beautiful as the early evening light ignited behind her. The rings were exchanged and promises given and then Marc leaned in to kiss her and the ceremony was complete. They walked down the aisle together as Mr. and Mrs. Marc-Andre Fleury. It felt strange to say, or to even think about. But it also felt right. I took Sidney’s arm again as we followed Marc and Lucy to the house, everybody standing and throwing flower petals at them.

Lucy and Marc went up the master room while the rest of us rested before the reception. The outdoor area was being prepped by the wedding assistants. The chairs were all rearranged around white tables underneath the branches of the oaks. Between the trees, you could see the river sparkle in the early dusk. Strings of lights were put up with the flowers in the trees and warm, glowing candles scattered all over the tables. The lighting was dim and romantic, bathing the area in a soft warm glow.

It was time to go back out again, with everybody filing out of the house to go to the reception area. I stayed close to Sidney, wandering to our table slowly. I leaned against him as we walked up to the reception area, spying Marc and Lucy already sitting down. They were completely into one another, so much so that it made both Sidney and I smile. To see our best friends happy was really the icing on the cake to this year.

We took our seats by Lucy and Marc, with Kris and Liz and Max all joining us. The waiter came around with drinks and we all scrambled to take them.

“Nobody likes a drunk bride, Luce.” Max teased and Lucy threw a pastel Jordan almond at him, sticking her tongue out.

“And we all know you’re a wimp when it comes to liquor.” I added with a laugh and she shook her head.

“You know, just because I’m an old married woman now, doesn’t mean you guys can make fun of me. I’m still going to get revenge. Sleep with one eye open, Anderson and Talbot.” She warned, taking a huge drink of champagne to make a point.

I leaned back in my chair with my champagne flute, smiling at Lucy and Marc who had gone back to doing their newlywed stuff. Kris looked at me and grinned, shaking his head. He was in as much disbelief as I was. Not because of Marc and Lucy being so happy and perfect, but when you look back on the year, it felt surreal. Me being here with Sidney, the two of us together here at not Sidney and Chloe’s wedding or mine and Dereks. But at Lucy and Marcs.

Sidney’s hand on mine broke my thoughts and I looked at him, leaning into him. “You’re not still thinking about everything being ruined, are you?” he asked me and I shook my head with a smile. I didn’t want to say that I was thinking about him, how stupidly, recklessly, wildly in love with him.

All of a sudden, the yard reverberates with the sound of a familiar song. Marc and Lucy stand up for their first dance, the two of them swaying through the dim, flickering candlelight to the center of the yard underneath the expansive branches of oaks. They swayed to the music, the deep piano notes of Have A Little Faith In Me by John Hiatt filling the air as they danced in each others arms.

It didn’t take long before people started joining them on the floor and Sidney stood up, extending his hand to me. I smiled up at him and took his hand as he helped me up out of the chair, the two of us wandering to the open space. I put my head on his shoulder as we danced, feeling his closeness.

That was when I realized what I had been doing wrong for so long. I had been waiting for some sort of warning, some sort of gentle progression into love. I thought that’s what love was, that it happened calmly and slowly. But it wasn’t. It came like a sudden storm, a wild wave crashing on the shore. It came with no precautions, no safeguards.

I opened my eyes, seeing Lucy watching me from behind Marc’s shoulder. I smiled at her and she smiled back, the two of us exchanging looks as we danced in the faint orange glow.

I pulled away from Sidney’s shoulder, looking at him as the music continued. Hiatt’s voice was a smoky background as he spoke, everybody around me fading away as I stared up to him.

“I love you, Violet.” He said and I smiled, looking down before meeting his gaze again. I kissed him lightly, my arms around his neck while we danced.

“I love you too.” I replied gently and he smiled down at me.

“I’m thinking that once Lucy is gone, you’ll be lonely in that little apartment of yours.” He began with a grin. “And I think that you should move in with me. Do you want to?” he asked and I kissed him again.

“I do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Have A Little Faith In Me -- John Hiatt

UH SO :( its done. I can't believe it. This story was probably the only thing I finished this year sooo yeah. Thank you so much for all your comments, subscriptions and support. It meant so much to me that words can't even express. The friend requests meant a TON as well, thank you so much guys.

So now I guess a sequel? I don't know if anybody would be interested in that. But if you are, let me know. I have three other stories i'm currently working on so you should go check those out too!

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN,
Daisy

p.s stay subscribed to this story, i'll post updates about a possible sequel here :)