What Doesn't Kill Me

1/1

"How many times do I have to fucking say I'm sorry, Jase? What do I have to do for you to honestly believe that I'm sorry?" asked Brandon Prust.

The girl in question looked up from her packing to glare at him. "I don't want an apology, Brandon," she spat.

The forward's hands flew to his head, slightly tugging on his short dark brown locks. They had been arguing for hours now, and it was starting to stress him out. He didn't think that when he hooked up with the blonde in Toronto, it would come back a few weeks later to bite him in the ass. "So what do you want! Tell me!"

Jasey ignored his desperate cries and continued to pack. She couldn't believe him. She dedicated three years of her life to this man, and was ready to spend the rest of it with him. They were going to grow old together and tell their grandchildren of how they met and instantly fell in love. But, of course, he had to mess it up. When he put a hand on her shoulder, she instantly turned and stared him down. The look in her eyes was enough to intimidate him. "I can't believe you had the fucking nerve to fuck that girl and then come back home- to our home- and expect for me to never find out." She started to back him into the wall, poking her finger into his chest. "Because that's what you thought, right? You thought that I wouldn't find out about your little ska-"

"She's not my little any-"

"Shut the fuck up!" she screeched.

He immediately shut his mouth, frightened of what the fiery red headed girl in front of him would do. She glared at him. "I hope you and your little skank are happy. Because this, us, it's done. I'm done," she declared, taking off the engagement ring.

He stared at her in shock. "You're giving up on us because of this? I said that I was sorry. Baby, please-"

"No! It's not just because of this! Not only did you cheat, but you lied to me. You looked me in the eye everyday and told me that you loved me! I don't even know if I can trust you anymore, Brandon. How do I even know if this is the first time this has happened? How do I know that you won't do it again? I don't, and I can't live my life wondering if my husband is off fucking some random puck slut."

By now the tears were running down her cheeks. Brandon's heart broke even more as he watched her continue to pack her bags. He wanted to assure her that it would never happen again, but he couldn't bring himself to make a promise he wasn't sure he could keep.

Jasey finished packing, turning around to find him staring down at the two-carat ring. He didn't look up at her as she walked to the door of their room, and never followed her as she walked to the door of their apartment. She waited at the door for a few moments, hoping that he would come running out of the room begging her to stay. That's all she really wanted. She wanted him to beg her to stay. She wanted him to assure her that she was the only woman for him. But as time slowly ticked away, her hopes dwindled. When she finally realized that he wasn't coming, she opened the door and walked away from the one thing she loved most in the world.

As she walked out into the New York nighttime, she pulled out her phone and dialed the number to the only person she could think of.
_________________
"I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you, Jase. I mean, come on, the guy is heels over head in love with you. Couples go through rough patches, and-"

"No, Matt. Don't you dare try and defend what he did. This is not a rough patch," she interrupted him.

Matt Gilroy sat in his apartment, trying to help out his teammate. He couldn't believe that Brandon had cheated on Jasey, and he was very angry with the forward, but that didn't stop him from trying to save their relationship. He had never seen two people more perfect for each other. "I'm not trying to defend him," he lied," I just think that you guys can fix this."

Jasey immediately hung up on the defense man, not wanting to hear what he had to say anymore. Is it lie to Jasey day? she wondered.

As she kept walking, she debated on what she should do. The only people she knew in New York was the team, and she knew that she couldn't crash at one of their houses. His teammates would surely tell Brandon that she was there.

She slowly started to see the city transform from tall skyscrapers and beautiful lights to dingy buildings with graffiti and darkness. Shivers ran down her spine as she cautiously walked by the suspicious group of people sitting on a stairway, two guys and three girls. She watched as they all smirked at each other. One of the guys stood up and started walking towards her. she debated turning around and running back to her apartment, but she didn't want to show that she was scared. After three years in New York, she knew that as soon as they saw fear, they attacked. They being the people that made the wonderful city of New York dangerous at night, especially for a gorgeous girl like herself.

The guy grabbed her ass as she walked by quickly. "Hey, baby, why don't you come over here and let me show you a good time," he drawled.

She kept walking, keeping her head down. She heard his group of friends crackle. "Looks like she doesn't want your pinky dick either," the girl standing on the pipe said.

The guy quickly caught up to her and yanked her back into him. "I believe I was talking to you, bitch," he snarled into her ear.

She shook with fear. "J-j-just leave me alone," she pleaded.

His friends again crackled as they heard the fear in her voice. "Yeah, Dylan, just leave the poor girl alone," the other guy mocked her.

He just laughed, gripping her arm a little tighter. "Now, Kev, you know me. I don't stop till I get what I want."

Jasey whimpered. "What do you want?"

He stared at her, then looked down at her bag. He smirked. "What's in the bag, sweetheart? Clothes? You running away?" he inquired.

She didn't respond, just looked at her shoes. These heels were not meant to be put in this situation. I should've put on some tennis shoes...

"Hey!" he snapped. "I'm still talking to you." He looked back at his friends with a grin. "I think we have a bit of a slow one, you guys. Bitch keeps zoning out on me."

One of the girls stood up off of the porch. She practically slithered over to where they stood. Jasey watched her out of the corner of her eye, keeping most of her attention on the guy in front of her. Not paying enough attention to the girl, Jasey didn't see the girl's leg swing out and knock her feet from under her. She tumbled to the ground, falling flat on her face. The group howled with laughter. "Nice one, Alex," Dylan praised, kicking Jasey in the stomach.

Soon enough, the whole group was attacking Jasey. She could barely see through her tears as they hit and kicked her. Eventually, the attack ceased and she heard the group start to walk away. She watched as they walked away from her, laughing and pushing each other. She watched them until she could no longer see the bright colors of their outfits.

Jasey tried to reach for her phone, but couldn't find the energy within her to pull it out. Eventually, her eyes slowly closed, as unconsciousness pulled her under.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,348 words