Rois de la Nuit

Quarte

I began to hum an old drinking song that had gone out of fashion sometime in the late seventeen hundreds as the scent grew stronger. It was young, probably in the early twenties at most which had what little blood was left in my system from my last feeding racing. You see, as vampires, though we are in our own way living beings, we also cannot produce our own blood. Because of that, we lack the genes that cause humans to continue aging after a certain point unto death. It also prevents us from getting certain diseases. Then again, it can also mean that if we don’t get blood when we need it…well let’s just say that a starving vampire can wipe out entire villages. Just ask Angelion about it sometime.

I could hear the jump in the step when the person caught the sound of my humming. I wonder what thoughts were running through their head. It smelled like a female (though it could be a gay man. I’ve noticed them coming out in droves since the turn of the century). Not that I have a problem with them. Actually, I find them rather useful because for some reason they’re attracted to both me and Angelion. Honestly if Angelion hadn’t had a mate, I would question if he was gay or not, but again I digress.

A long gorgeous jeans clad leg slid out from the building followed by the rest of the beautiful body. The girl actually wasn’t that tall. I mean I easily towered over her, but that wasn’t saying much as she was barely over five feet tall herself. Her long red hair had little highlights of blonde that caught in the light every now and then when she turned her head. And those eyes were such a pretty color that I was rather looking forward to watching the life drain out of them. Her green shirt set off the color of her hair just right and hugged soft curves. To top it all off, a thin decorative scarf was wrapped around her neck begging to be pulled and teased before it came free from the wonderful present that it hinted at. A smirk curled my lips as I stuffed my hands into my pockets and watched the girl. “Lost princess?”

The girl’s eyes turned sharp for a moment before fading to wide-eyed innocence. My interest was instantly peeked. No one did that unless there was good reason which meant that if I was really lucky, I was about to have a really fun game on my hands. “Maybe,” she said vaguely. Her voice was soft and felt like a brush of silk. The way the dilapidated lights that flickered and yellowed her skin shone off her, that skin was probably made of the same stuff. And then that made her blood…well you know what the Bible says about new garments…

“Look, I was supposed to meet my friend for a party, but I can’t find anyone,” she confessed. “I’ve tried calling her like twenty times and she won’t answer.”

My tongue flicked out and ran across my lips, wetting them as I surveyed the young woman. I didn’t hide any of my thoughts. She looked tasty. I was going to enjoy this one. “Well sweetheart, you’re in the wrong part of town for a party. People don’t come out to the devil’s playpen for fun after all.” Not unless they’re me and since I’m one of a kind, you have your answer there.

“Devil’s Playpen? I thought that was south still?” there was a hint of panic in the girl’s voice. Either she was acting or she was getting scared. Either option I was going to enjoy. After all, there was no way the girl was going to outsmart me either way she was trying to swing things. “You’re just kidding right? This is still North of the Heights right?”

The girl started to pace, her hands moved upward to scrunch her dark hair. I really wanted to be those hands and bring them down to wrench her head back and take the first deep drink from her delicate body. It would be so sweet to hear her screams and watch her writhe in pain. Sure I could give pleasure if I wanted, but where was the fun in that. I’m a sadist after all. Pain is a good thing in my mind. “She wouldn’t lie to me,” the girl said stubbornly lifting her chin definitely. It put her neck into the perfect view. I wanted it. My throat was starting to ache for the feel of her blood coating it. A muscle in my jaw jumped and I forced myself to look away…for the most part. I kept watch on her from the corner of my eye as I began to pace in a diagonal direction so that I was going towards her, but not.

“Oh really then? Perhaps you really are lost then princess. In which case I simply cannot leave you alone. Monsters roam these streets after all.”

I nearly groaned aloud as she crossed her arms and pushed her small breasts upward. She was purposefully trying to tempt me. As soon as the thought crossed my mind I actually saw some truth in the matter. Well this was new. There hadn’t been any known vampire hunters for some two thousand years. Well known ones that actually got it right. I wondered if this was just luck or if she was really a hunter and a good one in which case I was going to laugh if I was the last vampire alive. “Yeah, sure,” she said sarcastically. “First off, I’m not some free booty call. And for another thing, I’m not stupid.”

Now I did laugh. The fact that she had actually said that in front of me of all people…well no, I had to argue with her on that one. I reached up and rested one of my hands on my forehead and shook my head before I scrubbed that same hand over my eyes. “You see that’s where you’re very wrong princess, you are very stupid.” I waited for the moment until she was drawing the knife that she had hidden along her back before I made my move. I twisted to the side and lunged at her, close enough now to reach her in that one propelled leap. One of my hands reached out and my fingers curled around her delicate neck enough to put pressure, but not enough to completely deprive her of breath. The other reached out and caught her knife wrist, twisting it until she dropped the blade. I cast it a single glance enough to know that it was no toy before I kicked it away with the toe of my boot.

“Let me go you demon!” she yelled grasping at the hand curled around her throat with her free hand.

I gave her a look that said very clearly how low my opinion of her had just sunk. “And here I thought you might be intelligent,” I said shaking my head and looking at the girl blandly. “Try vampire princess,” I corrected baring my fangs before I pushed her against the brick wall behind her. As she strained against me, I moved forward slowly, so that I was towering over her. “And I’m a very hungry vampire,” I purred before I leaned down and nipped at her ear.