Sequel: Pretending to be Dead

Living Like You're Dead

Death

The sun was rising just as the caught sight of the town. They easily made it there without problems, however streets full of walkers was another story. They were less active during the day, but it still was by no means a safe trip.

Daryl Rick, and Shane were the only ones who came back, they wanted strong men to get in and get out. They were going to try and grab some of the supplies they left too.

They stopped far away from town so that the walkers wouldn't hear the vehicle. They each had their own weapon, but Daryl was the one in front on account of his crossbow being the most quiet.

The walkers seemed to have scattered, the three men quietly made their way to the general store. Each walker they ran into fell silently, and they seemed to not be attracting any their direction.

Thirty feet ahead, the store. The door was still smashed, and it was likely to be full of walkers. Daryl ran across the street and Shane followed, sure enough walkers had crowded around the jammed door. They could probably smell the flesh upstairs.

"I'll give 'em the slip." Shane said.

Daryl nodded, he and Rick quietly hid themselves in an alley way as Shane tapped the bell behind the door. The walkers turned in a flash at the sound - Shane slowly walked backward as they stumbled toward him, and once they were out of the store - he ran down the street.

Daryl and Rick moved into the shop and Rick looked at the door.

"What the fuck Daryl." he said looking at the shard of metal impaled in the doors frame. "I don't even know if I can break this."

"It's easy." He said. He used the but of the cross bow to bend the metal past the knob and it turned.

"You're lucky that held up."

"Yeah Yeah..." They headed upstairs Daryl first. He reached the top step when a heavy hunk of metal hit him in the head. He fell to the ground.

"WHOA WHOA!" Rick said. T Dog had mistaken them for walkers and hit Daryl with a golf club. Daryl rubbed the nub now forming on his head.

"Damn nigger." he said.

"Sorry bro, I thought they'd got in."

"Daryl made sure they didn't."

"While it's clear? Come on."

Glenn and T follow them down.

"We thought you left us." Glenn said.

"Yeah - thought you were gettin' your revenge." T said.

"You two can shut the fuck up."

They grabbed the sacks full of supplies and Daryl peered out the store. One walker was on the street. He nailed it with an arrow and ran after it to collect it. They scurried off behind Daryl and headed towards the outskirts of town.

"Parked over the hill, I'll find Shane." Rick said.

Daryl tailed Glenn and T as they headed towards the car.
_________________________________________________________

Rick cut through alley ways, and even climbed a fire escape in attempt to find Shane. Where had he gone?

Rick avoided dense walker areas and started to make his way back to the car incase Shane was there too. But on his way back he saw him.

It seemed to be a city building, he was shoving a long metal bar in between door handles, it was stained with blood..
"Shane!" Rick ran up to him. Shane was standing weird, clutching his stomach.

"You okay?" Shane's hand was shaking... he was scared. "You bit?"

"Man I - I - I fell. Well one of them pushed me." he said lifting his arm he saw a stab wound, it came from the very bar he had shoved into the doors. and the also saw blood on the his sleeve.

"I lured them in... got cornered, and when I ran I fell. Guess I didn't really... make it out." The bar had gone all the way through his back and out the front. Rick's eyes filled with tears for his partner. He had the courage to pull out the bar to lock the door. He thought back to the day where he'd gotten shot on the job, Shane was there for him. Shane saved his life, ...twice.

"I tried to get you from that hospital." Shane said, his voice shaky.

"I know, I know you did. And you saved my wife and son." Rick said. Shane slumped up against the wall.

"I know I won't make it... but I don't wanna die here." he said.

"You won't." Rick grabbed Shane's good arm and draped it over his neck, he helped Shane walk out of town, and to the car.
____________________________________________________________

They drove half way back home. Before Shane spoke. Daryl had put up a fight about letting him back in the car, thinking he was infected but Rick over-powered him.

Shane was very pale, he barely had enough strength to ask Rick to stop the car.

Rick nodded. When they arrived he pulled over the car and helped Shane out. The grass was green... and in the daylight the old school house looked nice.

"I'd like it here." he said.

Ricks eyes were still full of tears. He could feel from Shane's arm that his blood was boiling. His pale face showed exactly how much blood actually flowed out of his veins.

They stood there for a long time while Shane lay in the shade. His fever seemed to be winning. Rick held his pistol to his head but couldn't pull the trigger.

"Daryl wouldn't have a problem with it." Shane chuckled. Daryl laughed too.

"Yeah, he wouldn't. But it's my job." Rick said. Kneeling next to Shane, Rick put his head in his lap.

"You gotta take care of Lori, and that baby." Shane said. Rick hesitated after Shane shut his eyes. "At least..." he murmured. "I won't be one of them."

Those were Shane's last words.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, but I got out a longer chapter. More tonight!