Sequel: Pretending to be Dead

Living Like You're Dead

Darkness

They waved kindly as they drove away. Back into the woods, Daryl made sure the gate was locked before going back into the house. Any attempt to keep them out would make him feel better.

He grabbed the book on nets from the study, and went to his room. Sick Addie was lying on the bed. She was eating a piece of toast to settle her stomach. Daryl kissed her forehead. She was so beautiful, even when sick.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“They guys – they left.”

“That’s good news.” She said.

“Maybe not.” He said back. “They seem suspicious. I’m afraid they might come back.”

“What’re you going to do?”

“Talk to Rick I guess.”

“I’d like to help!” she said.

“Baby, your sick because of the baby. It’s all okay, please just rest. I love you.” Daryl said. He grabbed the original net from the closet and opened the door to leave.

“Je t'aime trop.” She muttered as he shut the door.
_______________________________________________________________________

“This is their net.” Daryl said. Rick, T, and Glenn were talking about the creepy guests when Daryl arrived. Rick looked at the net and shrugged his shoulders.

“You stole their net?”

“No.” he said handing him the book. “This is the net I cut Addie out of.”

“You mean back on the road? When she hit her head?”

“No I mean this morning.” Daryl paused. “OF COURSE I MEAN ON THE ROAD!”

Rick hadn’t done anything with the book. Daryl grabbed it and flipped to the part about deer’s and nets. He showed them how a net this size is for something anywhere from a hundred to two hundred pounds. But the net spacing isn’t the same –

“This net is made for humans.” He said.

“Well then why didn’t they eat us?”

“My assumption: There were way more of us living here than they expected. But I would not be surprised if they came back here tonight and tried to pick one of us off.”

“So what do you suggest?”

“Keep everyone in doors.” He said referring to Lori and Carl playing outside. “Then we stay on lock down for a couple days.”

“Okay… and if you’re wrong?”

“Then we’ll be missing out on vitamin d.”

“Wow I didn’t know you knew the sun did that.” Glenn said.

“Shut it pizza boy.”

“Well I didn’t like the vibe they gave either, it was down right creepy.” T said.

“Apparently because they wanted to… what exactly?” Rick asked,

“Well nets for people. Usually you eat what you catch.”

“that’s disturbing.”

“Ya think?”

“Well then we’ll have double on watch tonight. And extra weapons, in every room.”
______________________________________________________________________

The men spent the rest of the day reinforcing the fence, and Daryl set a few traps of his own in the forest. And at dinner they had discussed the potential threat, without the children present.

Lori had been irritated with Rick for letting them stay, everyone had been. But only Lori showed it. Rick was just being nice, even Addie thought she would’ve done the same.

And that night Addie held Daryl tightly before he left for watch.

She worried about him when he went into the forest, when he was on watch, whenever he wasn’t by her side.

His eyes were open, his arms wrapped around her tightly. He had never shared a bed with someone, he had never loved anyone but family.

Addie fell asleep next to him, and since that night she was sick, she hadn’t had the dream about her mother. Daryl had saved her from a lot of things.
_______________________________________________________________________

Daryl had met Andrea and Glenn for watch. Daryl would spend time circling the perimeter, Glenn would be on the roof with binoculars, and Andrea would patrol the house.

It was around four AM when Andrea heard a crash from downstairs. She was on the top floor and ran down the stairs, on the walkie she spoke: “Heard something, keep watch.”

She came upon her own room and found Abha wasn’t there. A vase she had filled with flowers was now all over the floor. And the window was still letting a warm breeze enter the room. Andrea saw nothing out the window but ran outside as fast as she could.

“Glenn.” She said into the walkie again.

“I heard it too – Daryl ran in after them.” Andrea grabbed a flashlight and ran in after them. She ran around the fence and into the darkness.

Her gun was loaded. And her flashlight led her through a path of broken branches and she ran for what seemed like forever. She finally stopped when the darkness took her no where, she took a deep breath when a hand clamped down over her mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still writing, making up for no updates yesterday. :) I've been having trouble transitioning between new events in my story. I hope this chapter isn't too jumpy. comments?