Sequel: Pretending to be Dead

Living Like You're Dead

Darkness

Andrea and Dale held their breath as the Redfern’s walked past their hiding spot. Daryl must not be far. And sure enough – after they past Andrea and Dale made their way another sixty yards and found him tied to a tree, his face had been beaten, and left him unconscious.

“Some meal he is.” Dale said.

“Well to a walker a bleeding face is like sugar on a cupcake.” She said. “The shot will have attracted anything close enough to hear it.”

“Daryl.” Dale said tapping his face, “Daryl come on wake up…”

His throat groaned, the soreness was a definite negative to being tied to a tree and beaten. His head swayed from side to side, obviously trying to get himself up. As soon as the ropes were loosened around him, he fell to the ground onto his knees.

His strength was awfully depleted. A few good knocks to the head would put anyone out. Andrea tried to lift him, but was only able to when Dale helped, he was a lot heavier than anticipated. With Daryl strung over their shoulders, they began to make their way back to Rick and the others.

Then they heard shots. One first, followed by two others shortly after. So they began to pick up the pace.
_________________________________________________________________

Ricks sights were still lined up with John Redfern’s head. He made the decision to expose himself once their rifle was placed on the ground, and as soon as Rick saw him take a step away, he revealed himself from the trees.

They were about to lose their light with the sun slowly slipping away, and it was now or never.

When John noticed the three men aiming guns at them in the forest, he immediately felt the sting of stupidity. His gun was a few feet from him, but not reachable at all. His son was in jeopardy. What was left of his family was in the hands of Officer Rick Grimes.

“I don’t see why I should let you survive. You kidnapped one of our own, from our house. Jeopardized my family, and friends. Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you.” Rick said.

John paused for a moment, thinking about his wife, the life that they lead after this apocalypse. His wife had been so sweet to him, and she was taken from him hastily. His Jeremy… shot by a woman, now Jason and he – caught without a defense.

He decided it wasn’t worth living for him… or his son.

“Children you see,” he spoke. “They have this thing about ‘em. I don’t know if it’s the innocence, the age, the development or what… but their so sweet when you cook them over a warm fire. You leave them a little pink… and they’ll be jucier than any steak you’ve ever tasted.” He paused collecting any more last thoughts he had.

“Dad. Dad, wait, shouldn’t we negotiate?”

“Jason please be quiet.” John said. “We’ve survived for a long time doing what we do. And I’m not going to change, neither is my son.”

John reached for his rifle. And Rick warned him with a shot into the air. John’s hand’s flinched but he grabbed the rifle anyway. He didn’t aim it at Rick, Glenn or T. Instead he aimed it at Jason and pulled the trigger. He clutched his stomach, and fell to his knees, blood spilling profusely from his abdomen. Rick raised his rifle and knocked John right in the head, John fell and didn’t move at all.

Jason was able to look at his father’s dead corpse and realize that shock was over taking him. Glenn tried to lie Jason down in order to treat his wound, but he was dead before Glenn could apply pressure. Glenn sat disappointed next to Jason’s body. Rick and T were just silent.

When Andrea, Daryl, and Dale stubbled out of the woods T ran to help them support Daryl, his was having trouble walking by himself. And it was dark, so he was tripping over his own feet.

T was able to support him on his own, and despite Daryl’s previous hatred for T-Dog, he let him help him, and was even grateful. They took one look at the figures laying on the ground and started to dig a grave for the both of them. With the help from everyone except Daryl the grave was dug in no time. And they carefully lowered the bodies into the grave and filled it. Once they were patting down the dirt night had fallen, and they would have to venture back in the dark.

“Addie – hello Addie?” he said into the walkie, “She’s not answering.” Rick announced. “ADDIE” Rick said louder.

“I’m here.” She said. “I’m fine.” Her voice sounded shaky, maybe she’d just woke up from a nap.

“Addie we’ll be back in a little while – we’re heading back and taking extra precaution from it being dark.” He said referring to the now dark sky above them.

“Everyone okay?” she asked.

“Alive.” He said. “Everyone’s alive. How’s Lori and the kids?” Rick asked.

“Just fine.” She said. “But there’s someone-“ she stopped abruptly.

“Addie, Lori and Carl – they okay?”

There was a long pause.

“I used to know a Lori…” Merle said into the walkie. “She was awfully pretty… married to a real sonofabitch though.”

“Who is this!?” Rick questioned as soon as he heard the new voice.

“You don’t remember me that’s surprising.” Merle said back, “My brother… he still there with you? Or did you leave him some place to rot too?” Merle asked,

Daryl was immediately alert now, his brother… alive, and okay! Daryl snatch the device from Rick’s hands and pressed the button to talk, Merle however had pressed it first, which only allowed him to listen to his brother.

“I love the new place, and this girl here she sure can cook… I can’t wait till ya’ll get back..” he said.

“Merle!” Darly finally said. There was no answer, “MERLE!” he said louder. Still no answer came. “Shit, think it died?” he asked the group.

“Or…” T said implying another answer.

“Or what?” Daryl questioned. “Let’s get the hell back there and find out.” He said.

“I vote we hurry…” Andrea added.

“Merle will be fine, Addie will know who he is.” Daryl said calmly.

“But will he know who she is?” Dale added, referring to the obvious budding romance between the two.

Daryl turned, almost striking Dale, but he retained his arm, and let his rage show through is face.

“I’m awfully sick of you bastards picking on my kin, you’re gonna have ta' deal with Merle. All of you.” He said angry. He stormed off a head of the group, but still stayed in view. They don't know shit. Stupid fuckers always picking on my kin. Thats how it'll always be. he thought to himself. Daryl was so glad Merle was back, his family was once again complete - he'd have his brother, and a soon to be child.

Wow, a Dad. he thought again. If only my real pops could see me now. He'd be in for a real shocker. Not to mention ma. She always said my kids would be the spawn of satan. I wonder what Merle will think of Addie.

Daryl pondered these things while the group tried to whisper behind him. He knew they were skeptical of Merle... probably because he'd be mighty pissed that these people left him behind. But Addie would have told him the truth, yeah, she'll be alright with him. he thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
God, It’s creepy writing the death speech of a cannibal, seriously… fucking creepy.

I posted this.... because I love you all, and it's so hard to keep finished chapters from you all! Warning tomorrows chapter may be shorter than usual but I will try my best.

btw. I love comments, I don't bite.