Sequel: Pretending to be Dead

Living Like You're Dead

Separate Ways

Rick had gathered his pregnant wife, his son and all of their belongings. Dale seemed to want to join Rick and Andrea had no objections in going with him. Sophia and Carol felt like the home they once spoke of over dinner could be within their grasp, and they knew it wasn’t here.

“I have a plan. Well an Idea.” Addie said.

“What’s that?” Rick asked.

“Yeah please share?” Daryl said, eyeing her suspiciously.

“You wanted to find a big place – make a safe house right?”

“Yeah.”

“Well there’s a correctional facility west of here and I think that would make a good start.”

“A prison? Seriously?”

“Tons of rooms, stone walls? Why not?”

“True, she has a point.” Rick said agreeing with Addie. “So we all head west?”

“No.” she said. “Just you.”

“I want to go south.” She said.

“What? Florida?” Daryl said, quite astounded.

“Why the hell would you want to do that?” T said.

“There was a research facility and I wish to go there, see if anyone’s left.”

“Doubt it.” Glenn said.

“Hey, it’s worth a try.” She said defending her plan. “Everyone goes west with Rick. And Daryl?” she paused waiting for him to look at her. “Will you take me south?” Even though everyone was waiting on his answer, he took his time to relay what was in his mind:

“I’d take you anywhere.” He said.

“Then it’s a plan. You guys leave as soon as you can, we’ll wait till morning, and hopefully lead them in a different direction.”

“You would do that for us?” Lori asked.

“I would. Especially these children.” She said smoothing the knots out of Sophia’s hair. “You guys deserve a chance, and we know where to find you if we need to.”

“Right.” Rick said, he was astounded that someone would be so selfless – he was very grateful.

The group seemed to disperse, most everyone knew that they would be heading with Rick and things needed to be packed.

Daryl was finally alone now with Addie. He could see her holding her arm in a curious fashion, “still sore?” he asked.

“For sometime after I wake up… usually.” She answered. He walked over to her and began to rub his arm over her shoulder. “What are you doing bringing a cannibal army home?” she said laughing at him.

“I honestly think they’re bluffing.” He said with a smile. “What are you thinking? Florida? Really?”

“I lost those files from before… I guess I need something new to comb for answers.” She said.

“No you didn’t.” Glenn said. He handed a large stack of files and folders to her. I still had them since that night you were sick, and when I grabbed my bag, they came with.

“Oh Glenn!” she said hugging him, it was a long strong hug that Glenn was quite uncomfortable in – partly because he was pretty sure the look on Daryl’s face read that he would kill him.

“I just thought I should give them back, with us parting ways and all.”

“Nah, we’ll see each other again – we’re just taking a detour.” She said, she seemed to be smiling constantly. Glenn walked away in an awkward motion. Addie let herself fall against Daryl’s chest quite happy that they were about to progress further down the road in their life. “I’m lucky to be alive.” She told him.

“Luck is an understatement.” He said.
_______________________________________________________

Rick and everyone else besides Merle, Addie and Daryl all drove away in the dead of night. The RV was gone as well as the other vehicles. They had the truck. They prepared it just the same as the others, and they were ready to leave, they were just waiting for daybreak to leave – that way anyone around would be able to see them leave the other direction.

And when daybreak came there was no sign of anyone… not a single person. Perhaps Daryl had been right, and new that there wasn’t really anyone else, or perhaps they were just late. After doing a once over through the rooms they decided it was time to leave. Merle drove them away from the dilapidated house that they had called home for no more than a week. Addie leaned against Daryl who was in the passenger seat. And then the three of them headed south.
__________________________________________

Hannah Redfern and Bear Briggs watched the truck pull away from the house. They were puzzled as to where the rest of the part had gone, in efforts to hide themselves they missed the first group leave. They climbed into the large green truck that once belonged to John Redfern and followed them south.