X Marks the Faerie

Chapter Eleven: Meanings Within A Simple Poem

No boundaries of time
Shall matter at all
In this little rhyme
For in the windfall
Of forbidden desire
A human and faerie shall mate
With hearts like wildfire
The human will undig fate
To close the gap of distance
And join the world of dreams
with the world of existence
Thus the prophecy gleams


I remembered the ancient poem from as early as I remember being able to fly. Is Gaylen the human and I, the faerie, that the prophetic poem speaks of? If so, it gave me an idea. Wildfire. That word stood out to me, I think I know how to save Gaylen.

"Can you do the circle of fire spell?" Kysha asked.
"Why yes, yes I can. Now that I remember correctly, witches hate fire, do they not?" Saerien smiled.

Saerien reached into a pouch she had on her side, and brought out what looked to be a Elecampagne root, otherwise known as Elfswort. We turned our attention towards the witches once more. It seemed there attention was on Gaylen, it appeared that they were conversing and Gaylen looked surprisingly calm despite his bleeding arm.

We crept up from behind them as silently as any faerie or elf could, for it was in the fae blood to be stealthy. Saerien stood in front of the fire. Everything was in position; she looked at me and I nodded.

"Such foul creatures you are. What better way to get rid of trash but to burn it." Saerien spoke loudly.

The witches turned and hissed, but it was too late. Saerien had already dropped the elfswort into the fire.

"With this root, I ensare you with elven flames!" Saerien screamed.

Blue flames sprouted around the witches feet, and shot up around their bodies. During the commotion, I lept past the witches, tackling Gaylen away from the flames. The chair busted and his hands became free. His arms instantly wrapped around me pulling me into his body.

"Instead of kissing you to awaken you from sleep, I'm kissing you to awaken our love." Gaylen spoke gently looking into my eyes.

He then kissed me and the danger around us seemed to melt away, and all that existed in the world was this moment. Tears came from my eyes. I dont know why I was crying but I was, it just felt like I had been waiting for this my entire life.

The kiss seemed to last forever but we heard an ahem, and we pulled apart from each other. I looked to see Saerien looking at us with her arms crossed, her silly smirk, and an eyebrow raised. I wiped my mouth and tried a smile. Gaylen rubbed the back of his head nervously.

"Uh, sorry..." He mumbled to Saerien but Saerien only rolled her eyes.

"It's fine human. I'm just happy to see an old friend finally happy again." She winked at me and I blushed.

Udekaine walked over. "And thus the princess saves the prince." He smiled. "It's supposed to be the other way around, but I won't embarass you Gaylen." He said with a chuckle.

Gaylen's face reddened and I giggled. He turned more red and turned away. "Yeah, well, they were pretty nasty old hags. Plus, they captured you too."

Udekaine laughed. "Indeed they did." He turned to fly away. He looked over his shoulder. "Be safe Gaylen. I'll watch you from the skies. If you're in trouble, I'll quickly assist you."

I watched the Gryphon fly away. I turned and looked at Gaylen. I smiled and crossed my arms. "So Princess, you're not going to cry, are you?"

Gaylen blushed three shades of red. "NO! I'll just miss him is all. He was a great help." I laughed and kissed his cheek. "Don't worry, I'll keep your mind off of him." I winked at him and he reddened again. I laughed and pulled myself up on my unicorn. I reached a hand out to help him up. "Come on Princess, we have a goblin king to confront."