X Marks the Faerie

Chapter Fifteen: A Strong Presence

Saerien and Giral were now unconscious, I realized that as soon as I was able to move my body. The ringing through the air had ceased also, and a very densely layered fog surrounded the area of forest that we were in. The air felt almost electric, I could feel it from the air on my skin standing on ends.

“Once I was a tree, through magic, here I be,” A voice echoed through the mist.

“Who's there?” I said, finding that my voice had returned.

A sizzling sound emitting through the air, and from where that sound came, a tree became a man through a stunning transformation of that I had never seen. He was about 6'2 in height, long brown hair down to his shoulders, and a thin frame of a body, yet his arms looked rather sturdily built.

“Tespan the Tree Wizard, at your service,” He bowed.

“At my service? It was you who rendered my friends into unconsciousness was it not?” I asked skeptically.

“Well...umm....you see, I've only been a tree wizard for a short amount of time, somewhere around a few hundred years, and considering my kind don't typically appear before other beings, we have to practice lowering our magical presence, hence, this sort of thing happens,” He said.

“Why are they unconscious and I am not then, if you didn't do it on purpose?” I asked, still skeptical.

“Magical beings such as those two are more vulnerable to my presence. You however, are a human....very dimwitted in the area of magic, so and it's not very often you see one of your kind in this forest. Also, we tree wizards hate trolls, and seeing how you are off to face them, I might have something that will aid you, my little human friend,” He grinned mischievously at me.

“Oh? I would appreciate any help that you could offer, Tespan. I have to save my love, Kysha,” I said gratefully.

He picked a long slender stick up that was laying aimlessly nearby, and struck the ground three times while humming melodically. The tree's brown leaves next to us fell upon the ground, which was funny because all the trees around us had green leaves.

He waved his hand across the leaves that clumped together, and from them a brown cloak appeared. He then slid his hand along the stick, and as he did so it turned into a long, very shiny sword with a smooth, green stoned handle.

Handing them to me, he said, “Now this cloak will protect you from the troll's venomous claw, and the sword will draw any fire magic away from you into itself. But listen closely, for a truly spectacular feat of magic, and only if you are in dire need of help, while wearing the cloak, stab the sword into your very own heart.”

I nodded and in almost the blink of an eye, Tespan became a tree once more and the sounds of Giral and Saerien stirred the air as they groaned, waking from their little nap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe sucka!