X Marks the Faerie

Chapter Nineteen: Sneaking Into the Goblin Kingdom

It was morning now and I woke up to Gaylen slobbering on my hair. I had felt quite snug with my head laying upon his chest. Last night, I was rather obvious when I said it was going to be a cold night, so I needed Gaylen to keep warm. Sindri tried it on Saerien but with one cross look from her, he quickly changed his mind and found his own spot to lay down.

I wiped the saliva off Gaylen's face and gave him a firm, long kiss. His eyes had a surprised, yet happy look to them when they opened and he embraced me wholeheartedly.

“We must move now. The goblins' domain isn't much farther,” Giral said, startling us both out of our happy place.

“Yeah, really now you two lovebirds, lets get a move on it,” Saerien said, tapping her foot impatiently.

“What? I just woke up! I think the first rays of the sun have just broke through the trees. What's the hurry? Sheesh,” Gaylen said while getting up.

“It's not good to linger too long in a goblin area, sweetie. That's why everyone's on edge,” I told Gaylen as I grabbed his hand to hold it.

He nodded solemnly and squeezed my hand. We all then began moving as stealthily as possible through the forest. As we got closer to the goblin kingdom, the air grew stale and musty, the plants began to look less and less green, and some of the trees even looked like they had been burnt.

“Shh... we're here,” Giral whispered as he motioned for us to duck down behind a fallen log.

Crouching down, I looked beyond the few remaining trees to see a huge cave opening. Three goblins stood guard at its entrance. The goblins stood about 8 feet in height and their skin, a dark green, looked slimy. Two of them held spears and were standing, while the other one sat, leaning against the mountainside with a circular shield propped up next to him and a short sword was in his scabbard. Their eyes were huge, with mouths even bigger and long, jagged yellow teeth. I was nauseas just looking at them. Without my wings, I felt so useless. I sure hoped that Saerien had a plan.

When we rested in spurts while we were traveling here, Sindri tried teaching Gaylen how to use his sword. I was shocked when he offered and Gaylen was too, but he gladly accepted. Gaylen sort of had a grasp on how to defeat an imaginary opponent in thin air but I wasn't too sure at how he'd fare against a living, breathing goblin. Goblins were extremely strong, overbearing in a one-on-one battle, tricky, and to top it off, knew fire magic.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH how will they get in =/