X Marks the Faerie

Chapter Twenty-One: The Lure of Song

Echoing from within the cave, a song of beauty flowed out. All of us knew the dangers of magic in melody, so naturally we all covered our ears—all of us but Gaylen. He pranced right on into the darkness of the cave.

“Gaylen!” I screamed to no avail, but he was far too deep in whatever spell entranced him.

“After him,” Mouthed Saerien as we all ran after him.

Luckily, Saerien's skin let off a soft glow whenever she needed it to. It was hard to keep up with Gaylen considering we were running with our hands over our ears. The cave tunnel opened up into a large chamber with a pond, and Gaylen happened to be swimming speedily across it.

“Gaylen, what are you doing? Stop!” I yelled though I knew it was futile.

“It's okay now. I've dispelled the magic's effect on our group, so long as you stay close to me,” Sindri mouthed to me, and with that, we all took our hands off our ears.

“He's heading towards a Siren. Goblins employ them to deter intruders,” Giral told us hastily.

Sure enough, Gaylen was swimming in the direction of the head of a lovely woman poking out of the water. He was about a good 2 minute swim away from the creature; a good 2 minutes away from being eaten!

We had to do something fast. Siren's weren't just dangerous to a person by using their alluring song; they also had a monstrous body, capable of killing in a very efficient manner. Each one differed in appearance, except of course, they all had the face of a beautiful woman.

I desperately wanted to save Gaylen. I had a burning hatred for Sirens since one of them had stolen one of my brothers from me ages ago. I looked to Sindri again—who I just realized wasn't affected by the Siren's Song. I pondered why for a moment before my mind hurried back to Gaylen and his position.

It was no use. We would never make it to him in time. If only I had my wings, then I could reach him in no time.

Then I heard a penetrating shrill and I looked up to the source of the sound. Sindri and the others looked up as well, and relief washed over all of us as a Harpie dove out of the sky, on top of the Siren. During the Faerie and Pixie war, Harpies aided the faeries in battle.

A blatant cry was heard before the Siren dove deep into the waters to escape more injury. The Harpie then plucked Gaylen from the water and flew him up and over to us, plopping him down on the ground before us to settle down herself. I hustled over to Gaylen and brought his head up to my chest, wrapping my arms around him, not caring to get myself wet. Tears streamed down my face as I kissed Gaylen on the top of his head.

He coughed and smiled. “Hey there beautiful.” I choked out a laugh and the Harpie stood over us smiling. I looked up at her and smiled. “Thank you Alreven.”
Alreven was average height, with a wingspan twice her size, and really long, aqua blue hair. Her eyes were a bright violet which matched her feathers. She smiled at me. “Kysha, you saved Begailla during the war. It was my honor to repay you. Sirens are my enemy now since things have been different here in the realm.”

I nodded, understanding her. “I see things have really changed since my enchanted slumber.”

Alreven closed her eyes and nodded. “I heard about what happened. It was frowned upon deeply. Many of the Faeries regretted your punishment. Don't be too quick to believe your brother, Kysha. He is very deceptive and so was your father. Though I can tell you no more than that. There are eyes and ears within this land. If I were you, I would return to the human world, and try my best to blend in to their society. This realm is no longer safe.”

Gaylen started to say something but Sindri spoke up. “Thank you, Alreven, though I think it's time that you return home. It'll be dark soon and it wouldn't be a good idea to be caught under the moon rays.”

She nodded and bid us farewell. I looked down at Gaylen. Maybe I should just try and be human. Why be part of a world that is against me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated lately. Here's the new chapter. Hope you enjoy. :)