X Marks the Faerie

Chapter Six: What Lies Beyond A Soundless Path

As we descended down the dark and winding stairway, it seemed as if the darkness pressed in closer to us and the tunnel was gradually get smaller. Despite that, my locket round my neck with the dried sprig of foxglove, which had started with a faint glow, glowed even brighter with each step in defiance to the darkness surrounding us. After what seemed like forever, the stairs leveled off suddenly and the stairs behind us almost seemed to vanish.

"Who enters the realm between thought and dreams alike?" A voice resonated from the walls themselves.

"Just mere faerie folk." Kysha squeaked.

"Faerie folk you say? I sense a strange aura coming from the male companion." He bellowed.

"I be just as faerie as any other." I said trying sound faerie-like.

The voice hmphed and Kysha took a step forward. "Are we allowed to pass?" She asked, trying to sound calm but I could tell that she was affected by the voice. There was a short pause before the voice started again. "You may pass, but I warn you. The realm is not as it has been. Destruction is amongst them and it is no longer peaceful. Stay on your guard and do not pass over the spring."

I nodded in understanding. Kysha bowed slightly. "Thank you." She said and lead me through a darkened tunnel. I was amazed that she wasn't running into things. I couldn't even see my own hand in front of my face, but I followed her, her hand in mine.

Shortly thereafter, we emerged into a small grassy clearing surrounded by trees. It looked as though it was twilight and the trees were bare of leaves. We started walking into the field. I instantly noticed how the flowers were half the size of my body, and were a sickly brown-yellow.

"Geez! Why are the flowers so big?" I asked surprised.

"It's not that they are big, we are small my dear." Kysha told me.

"Really? Hmmm.." I said as I looked around.

I took off running and tackled one of the flowers, tearing it in half. It tore in half so easily, but when I tried to pick it up, it was surprisingly heavy. I bounded over to Kysha carrying it towards her with a big goofy grin on my face. She gave me a pompous look and crossed her arms.

"I picked you a flower." I said trying to flirt.

"You do realize we're not here for fun and games, right?" She said looking annoyed.

"Oh, I was being serious." I said suddenly looking serious.

She looked at me as if she was looking at me for the first time, almost with a somewhat startled expression. I looked into her eyes and almost lost myself in that moment. The giant flower in my arms subtly slipped away, falling with a thud to the ground. The sound snapped me out of my daze.

I cleared my throat, "Yes yes, we really should be on our way. So where to from here?"

She looked around. "There." She pointed.

I looked in the direction she was pointing. There was a path that lead into the trees that I hadn't noticed. I walked over to the path, looking down it. It had vibrant colored plants all along the sides of the path, and in the middle it was lined with what looked like stepping stones. It's as if the path had been carefully carved out for that of a rich person's home walkway.

I shrugged and started forward on the path but she stopped me. "You have to be extra careful. Make no sound and do not talk." I was a bit confused and decided to start asking questions. "Why? I mean it's dark. Isn't it bedtime for you fae folk?" I asked with a bit of sarcasm. She shot me the death glare and I smirked. I had irritated her. "Stop asking stupid questions. Stupid questions will get you hurt or worse here. Just do as I say." She said and started walking. I was surprised that our footsteps didn't make any sound on the stone carved path.

Though a lot of aberrant things have been happening to me lately so it shocked me more that I was even surprised in the beginning.

As my eyes adjusted, I could see the plants more clearly, and I could see that the path seemed to go on forever. I knew I was in faerie-land but for some reason, I wasn't exactly sure where I was. Then, against my better judgement, I spoke. "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore." I wasn't loud, but apparently Kysha heard me and stopped and turned. Her look was furious and I took a step back. We were still for a few more moments before we continued on.

I knew I should probably listen to Kysha, but I was still having problems understanding really what all was going on.

Though for the meantime, I stuck my hands in my pockets and followed her silently, wondering where this path was leading us.