Status: Slowly Active

In the End

Amnesia

I woke to a pounding headache.

Where the hell am I? I thought frantically looking around my surroundings, hoping to glimpse something familiar. I became sickened the more I spun around and actually vomited when I looked down and realized that one, I was naked and two, I was completely covered in blood and traces of mud.

Tears started falling from my eyes as I started stumbling towards the sound of rushing water, far too tired and upset to be worried about anyone seeing me in this condition. Literally flinging myself into the stream, I started vigorously scrubbing, hoping that I could get myself clean.

Why can’t I remember anything? Did I party too hard last night? Was I drugged? Whose blood did I have on my body? It obviously wasn’t mine; I had no visible cuts on my body, just a deep aching in my bones and in my muscles.

Dunking my head under the frigid water helped chase away the panicked thoughts and helped me focus on the here and now. I needed to find out where I was and I needed to talk to someone, to figure out what had happened.

After assuring myself that I was completely clean and there were no traces of anything left on my body I climbed out of the river, dirtying my feet and hands as I climbed out, but I figured that couldn’t be helped. Standing there completely naked I could only thank God for one, deciding to live in a warm place and two, for being in such a secluded and heavily wooded are. In the same breath that made it almost impossible to tell which direction North was, or well the hell I was.

Misery started filling my body once more as I sat dejectedly on a large boulder, what the hell was I going to do? I don’t know how long I sat there trying to remember the events of last night, how I got in this current predicament, anything that would make sense or be a key to what had happened.

I was brought back in the present by my stomach protesting that it was empty and that I’d better find something to fill it. Groaning I wondered what I could possibly find in the middle of nowhere with no one around. A slight breeze blew by, ruffling my still damp hair.

Blinking my eyes, I scrunched my nose and sniffed again, wondering if I really smelt something or if I was going crazy. The slight smell of a barbeque tickled my nose, I was in luck! Blindly following the scent of the cooking meat I stumbled across a young couple too busy fornicating in their tent to tend to their cooking meat, they didn’t even realize I was there.

I quietly snuck into the camp and grabbed what looked to be the man’s discarded sweatshirt and slipped it on and against my better judgment, but to the delight of my stomach a plate and a slab of what looked to be ribs. I panicked when I heard the tent zipper and ran off in the direction that I came, hoping I wouldn’t be seen.

I found my familiar boulder sat down and gnawed at the undercooked meat, and for some reason I found my stolen meal to be the best food I could ever remember eating.

Hunger settled and clothed I sat back and looked through the tree branches to the still bright day, I would imagine it to be about 2 or 3 pm, so I had a couple hours before it got dark again and what I needed to do next is find someone with a car or a compass to tell me where I was.

Blowing a raspberry I wondered how in the seven hells I was going to track someone down, something tickled the back of my mind but I paid it no mind, this was no time to let my imagination run wild. Well, sitting here was going to do me no good, so I randomly picked a direction, admittedly a different one then where I found my stolen meal.

I must have walked for a solid twenty minutes before anything registered to my senses, but the closer I got, the more distinct the flashing red and blue lights had become.

Cops? I wondered tilting my head. What are they doing out here? I snuck close to the group of people and general mayhem that usually surrounds cops/investigations, but hid from view because even though I knew I hadn’t done anything, running around in a stolen sweater with no memory of the previous 24 hours of so, seemed ridiculously fishy.

When I peaked my head around the thick tree trunk I was hiding behind the first thing that I saw was red.

Blood was everywhere, splattered on every tree, rock, and speck of dirt for a good fifteen feet.

My stomach lurched and the vision of being covered in blood swam behind my eyes. I needed out of here and back home, scanning the crowd for a familiar face I felt my heart drop, there was no one that looked familiar. I was on my own to find my way home.

I sighed dejectedly and started my walk from the tracks left by the cop car back to the road and down the mountain.

It took an hour to get down the mountain and another hour and a half to correctly navigate myself back home while keeping to the back roads and out of the eye of the public.

And when I finally reached the door to my house it was all I could do to find the spare key, open the door and crash on the couch, hoping that I could find some answers when I woke up again.

Boy, was I in for a rude awakening.