Status: Updating

Baby Doll

Chapter 33

I rolled a cigarette on my tongue as I leaned against the alley behind the strip club. It was dim since some moron had busted out the lights the manger had installed but it was enough so I could see. My hair was pulled into a ponytail to allow the cool night air to caress my sweaty neck. The taste of the menthol on the cigarette tickled my taste buds and made me want to light it. I didn’t smoke but I’d devolved the habit from Jason. His parents smoked so he always wanted to try one. But since smoking can burn your taste buds therefore messing up his coking he didn’t smoke. A week had passed since their fight and Jason was never in the house a second past Stephanie’s set time. And all the Spill Canvas in the world couldn’t stop the nightmares. These sad part was that these nightmares weren’t fake, they where memories she’d forced herself to forget. Bile rose in my throat and I tried to swallow pat the ball of fear in my throat. I hated Matt. I truly did. The thing he did to her . . . all for reasons he never told her. I groaned. Fuck it I was going to smoke. I patted my pockets to see if the lighter fairy had left me a gift but found nothing not even matches. Suddenly a flame flickered in the dark and I jumped my hand sliding to my pocket knife.
“Hey relax Baby Doll I just thought you’d want a light.” The man said smirking. I rolled my eyes when I heard the name. He must have been in the club. I leaned forward and lighted the cigarette before leaning away. I inhaled and couched lightly as a burn raced down my chest and settled in my lungs.
“Ug.” I muttered. It didn’t feel good but I already felt myself relaxing. As the man lit his own cigarette I looked over his features and recognized him as a regular who spent most of his time at the bar. I also noticed how his hands shook slightly before he put the lighter away. I blew the smoke into the air and attempted to make a smoke ring. It didn’t come out the way I wanted though.
“Well I better be going.” I said brightly. I really shouldn’t be hanging it out in the back alley of a strip club anyway. The guy nodded and I ground my cigarette into the wall before walking away. I turned the corner and stepped onto the sidewalk and glanced around. The streets where pretty much empty except for drunks stumbling out of bars and the homeless that called this street their home. I bit my lip and that about stopping at one of the bars for a drink. I wasn’t 21 but like Anna I knew a flirting maybe some ego stroking and a guy would buy a pretty underage girl a drink.
“Hey Stephanie.”
“Christ Matthew!” I said putting a hand to my chest. My cigarette hit the ground and Matt ground it under his sneaker.
“You shouldn’t be out so late.” He said and I crossed my arms over my chest.
“You don’t control me anymore Matthew.’ I spat and he bit his lip.
“I’m not trying to control you Stephanie but your barely five feet tall and this isn’t exactly the best of neighborhood.” He said trailing off when I pulled another cigarette from the pack.
“You smoke?” He asked and I shrugged.
“I do a lot of things now that you don’t control me Mattie.” I said putting the cigarette in my mouth. Mathew’s fingers twitched and I knew he wanted to smack the camel from my lips. I would have lit it just to taunt him when I remembered I didn’t have anything to light it with.
“Fuck me.” I muttered tucking the cigarette back into the pack. I re crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the wall.
“Well what are you doing here?” I asked.
“Work.” He said and I waited for him to elaborate but he didn’t.
"Well I just finished work to." I said motioning toward the club. Mathew snapped his gaze to meet mine.
"Your a stripper now?"
"Well sense he kidnapped me in my freshman year I can't exactly find the best jobs in the world." Matthew sighed.
"I let you take on online classes."
"That made up for everything! Especially since I could barley study becuase you where raping me every night." I said.
"I . . .I'm sorry.' He said not looking at me.
"Once again that made up for everything!" I yelled. I turned to walk away but Matt pushed me against the wall and pinned my arms above my head. My heart skipped a beat as he lips brushed my ear.
"My turn. To. Talk."
♠ ♠ ♠
Neko