Status: Updating

Baby Doll

Chapter 43

“Sorry I’m late .” I said as Anna opened Jason’s door. She looked pretty of course in a plum colored dress.
“Hello Stephanie.” Nathan said waving from behind Anna. He looked less punk grunge today in a pair of dress paints and a grey button up. He took Neko and let him out. Neko stepped begrudgingly out of the carrier and headed toward the kitchen.
“God Stephanie Jason was getting worried. What happened?”
“I fell and tripped over Neko. I think I smacked my head.” I said.
“Poor baby.” Anna cooed and I stuck my tongue out.

“Hey Neko Where’s Stephanie?” I heard Jason ask from the kitchen.
“You have a cat?” Someone asked and my eyes widened as I tugged at my scarf.
“His family is already hear? I thought-” Ann’s hands flew to my throat holding my scarf in place.

“Nathan can you take Neko’s stuff? I want to help Stephanie freshen up.” Nathan nodded and took the bag of cat supplies from me.
She dragged me past the living room. A older man and a younger woman with red hair looked up as we passed and I offered a wave.

Once we were in the bathroom she shut and locked the door.
“Anna do I really look that bad?” I asked. Anna tugged my scarf off then pointed toward the mirror. I gasped and my hands flew to my throat. Bruises dotted my neck in the shape of hands.
“I-I –I don’t know how this got here.” I said hysteria filling my voice.
“Sshh Stephanie you’re okay.”
“No I’m not.” I said.

“I hit my head and had this horrible nightmare where Matt was in my house but I just dismissed. I thought I was just worried about meeting.” I tried to calm myself but it was hard. I hated bruises. They were just another way to brand someone.

Anna fixed my scarf around my neck as I freaked out.
“We’ll discuss it later. You’ll probably be staying over here tonight anyway right?” I nodded.

“Maybe that underwear I bought for you will be put to good use.” She said trying to get me to relax. All I could think about was the Matt thing. I didn’t get to answer her when there was a knock at the door.

“Goldilocks are you all right?” Jason asked. Ann fixed my hair before opening the door. Jason smiled at me. He had his hair in a ponytail and was dressed much like Nathan but with a black shirt.

“Hello love are you ready to meet my family?”
“Yep.” I said my voice wavering.
“Are you sure you’re okay Goldilocks?” Jason asked. I smiled then stood up on my tiptoes to kiss him.

“Oh my the sexual content.” Anna said squeezing past us and heading to the living room. Jason cleared his throat.
“Well then I guess you’re okay.” He gripped my hand and we stepped into the living room.

“Wow we finally get to see the girl everyone’s been hogging.” A woman said swirling wine in her glass. She was dressed in a black halter jumpsuit and seemed to be a little younger then Jason. An older man sat across from her and was chatting with Nathan. Jason rolled his eyes.

“Stephanie this is my sister Poppy and my father Dawson. My mother Elna is in the kitchen.” Dawson smiled.
“It’s nice to meet the girl my son can’t stop talking about.”
“Yes it’s always Stephanie this Stephanie that.” Poppy said setting her glass down. She stood and I took a step back out of impulse.
“God what have you been telling her about us? She’s practically shaking.” Poppy said. An older woman emerged from the kitchen. She was wearing a simple black dress that was covered by an apron.

“What’s going on?” Poppy pointed at Jason.
“Mom Jason’s been telling lies about us. Look how scared she is.” Elna raised a sculpted brow.
“What have you been saying about us Jason?”
“He doesn’t really talk about you.” I said trying to shake off my Matt anxiety. Both women scoffed. We hear a lot about you.” Poppy said.

“Not that we mind.” Dawson said standing up and kissing his wife’s cheek.
“Girls be easy on them please.” Elna smiled and kissed Dawson’s nose.
“Only because I love you.”
Elna turned back to me.
“Stephanie would you like to help me finish up some cooking?” Anna and Jason quickly declined for me. Elna looked taken back.

“I can’t cook.” I explained
“I almost burned down Jason’s kitchen once so I’m not really allowed on the stove without supervision.”
“I didn’t car you from it you can cook the basics but once you start adding in too many variables. . .” Jason hugged me tightly.
“I love you Goldilocks. How about I get you some wine while my mom and I finish up?”
“That sounds good.” I said cheerfully. Jason let me go and dragged his mother to the kitchen with him. Poppy smiled.
“Let the interrogation begin.”

♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫♫♥♥♫♥♫♥♥♫

I leaned against Jason as he stroked my hair. He was talking with his parents while Poppy and Anna chatted. I felt content and full even with no one talking to me. I’d had enough conversation thrown at me during dinner. Elna and Poppy where like world class fencers when it came to asking questions. Darting in to and out of conversations but always coming back to me and slipping a question past my guard.

We did get along though. Jason’s family seemed eager to let me in and it made me feel truly wanted. I snuggled closer to Jason as he whined when his mom mentioned some embarrassing moment from his childhood. Poppy had even mentioned going to a concert in January since a band named Illusions Echo that we both loved was coming to town. Neko sat at Nathan’s feet while he strummed his guitar. He strummed humming quietly to himself.

He looked up at me and smiled. He mouthed sing at me and I shook my head. He sat his guitar down and pulled out his phone. He texted someone before putting it away and going back to strumming.
A few seconds later Anna’s phone buzzed. She checked it.
“Yay! Stephanie is going to sing us all a song!”

“No I’m not.” I said. Elna laughed.
“Don’t be shy Stephanie. Jason has told us how beautiful your voice is.” I blushed and buried my face in Jason’s side.
“You suck.” I whispered. Jason shrugged and leaned against the arm of the couch.

“I’m going to go grab my keyboard.” Nathan said before leaving.
“You guys planned this.’ I whispered to Jason. He chuckled and kissed my cheek.

Nathan came back and plunked down with his small keyboard he’d received for Christmas. Against my better judgment I stood up so I could sing better. Nathan and I’d been doing this a lot lately just for fun. Lately it had been Christmas songs because of the season.

Nathan tested the keyboard before he started playing “Where are you Christmas?’. I sighed before singing. Just as the first few notes flew from my lips a crash came from the front door. I jumped and Jason and Dawson where immediately on their feet. They glanced at each other before heading towards d the door. Neko hissed. Nathan hushed him and watched the two men disappear.

I heard the door open before Jason and his dad spoke.
“What in the world . .”
“Dad keep Stephanie in the living room please.” I heard Jason whisper fiercely. I bolted to the door and pushed past Dawson. A stuffed animal Jason had given me lay on the cold cement ground in front of the door. The reek of the perfume he’d gotten me log ago hung heavily in the air. The stuffed animal had been ripped to shreds and was burned a little too. I dropped to my knees and felt small pieces of glass from the perfume bottle enter my legs. I picked up the bear.
“Goldilocks baby please put it down.” Jason started. I held it to my chest and leaned over before I started crying. The scarf covering my bruising feeling heavy against my throat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello my lovely readers! I hope you've enjoyed these updates. Comment and subscribe please!
Lots of Skittles,
Mya

song Jealousy by Illusions Echo

Illusions Echo
twitter
tumblr (it has pictures of Poppy and Elna)