Status: Previously titled Baby On Board, same story! :)

Let Me Know

Of Clauses and Comrades

“I just don’t understand why everyone is still staring at me. It’s been over two weeks, shouldn’t they focus on something new? I heard Robby Torrez got caught jacking a scalpel from the Chemistry lab.”

Emily laughed, “At least they’re a little kinder. Give it another week or two and they’ll get over it eventually.”

“Yeah, until I inflate like a balloon,” I replied sarcastically, but my mood was overall positive.. After our initial encounter in the hallway, I began talking to Emily more and more. She was completely different than my first impression, and while she displayed herself as very up kept and high class, her attitude was the complete opposite. She reminded me of Brandon a lot; very polite and quiet, but not prissy or shy of having fun. I guess it was why they worked so well.

The other reason I began to cling to her was because Emily was a very good listener, and I easily felt myself discussing things such as the baby, Chloe and Waeden, and general life difficulties with her. It wasn’t that things were rocky between me and Chloe, because they were actually the best they had been since December. However, I sometimes felt uncomfortable discussing things such as my plans and relationship with Waeden with her, as he was her boyfriend, and it might make her feel uneasy.

“I never would have taken you as one who cared what other people thought, Aubrey,”

“I don’t,” I replied, shrugging, “I just wish they had the courtesy to wait until my back’s turned before they start digging their gazes into it.”

After exchanging a few more words, we went our separate ways. I didn’t get far, however, before I ran into Brandon, who was watching me with a quirked eyebrow.

“Were you just talking to Emily?” He asked, bemused, as I approached.

“Yeah, we’ve been talking every now and then. Don’t worry, it’s nothing about you. Not yet anyways.” He continued to stare at me, and I laughed, “It’s nothing to worry about, I swear. She’s a really sweet girl, and completely different than what I imagined. You never know, we could end up becoming really good friends.”

Brandon shook his head and laughed, “So, first you take my best friend, then my girlfriend… do you want my brother too?”

“No way in Hell, Brandon. I’ve already got two of my own, and I’m afraid we’d kill each other before the end of the week.”

He chuckled, and we had a moment of contempt silence.

“So, I take it everything’s going good between you two?” I asked as we began walking.

He nodded. “As good as it can be, I guess. We’re going to the dance together.”

My face contorted with disgust, “I really don’t want to hear another word about this stupid dance.”

Every year, the school holds a winter ball the weekend after Valentine’s Day. It’s the last dance of thee school hear for the underclassmen, who don’t have prom, so it’s usually a pretty big deal, With everything that was going on in my life, however, a dance wasn’t exactly the pick-me-up I was looking for.

“What, you’re not going?” Brandon shouted incredulously, “But Bre, it’s going to be loads of fun. I even heard they’re bringing back the chocolate fountain you liked so much last year.”

I bit my bottom lip in an attempt to hide my emotions. Of course the dance sounded fun, and of course I wanted to go, but the chance of that happening was just not plausible. “Brandon, I’m seventeen and pregnant with my cousin’s boyfriend’s baby. Who on earth would want to deal with me?”

“You’d be surprised.”

I jumped as Louis and Matt snaked on opposite sides of me, grins displayed broadly and hands clasped behind their backs. Sometimes, I wonder if my brothers have the ability to transform into thin air, listen in on conversations, and then suddenly appear out of nowhere to give their personal opinions. I should be used to their Houdini acts, but every time they have the element of surprise on their side.

“What are you two talking about?” I asked.

“Have you noticed, dear sister, that the looks the male population of this school is giving you have changed?”

“They’re not out of shock or repulsion, but rather curiosity and a sense of attraction.”

“It’s a teenage phenomenon that we have decided to call-“

There was a dramatic pause before they replied in unison, “the Aubrey Clause.”

I quirked my eyebrow at them, “The Aubrey Clause? What kind of name is that?”

“It’s not the name that’s important, but rather the fundamental elements.”

“You see, before, guys found you attractive, but they were intimidated by the fact that you not only have six brothers, including ourselves, but also two scary cousins, Michael and Chloe, who would gladly remove their manhood with one slip-up without a flinch.”

“Now, however, they know that not only are you willing to give it up, but the man who was able to conquer the mystery that is Aubrey Hughes is not only alive, but fully intact. So they can’t help but feel extremely attracted to you.”

“However, take in the fact that you’re knocked up, and most seventeen-year-old guys aren’t willing to take care of something that’s not theirs, so they simply admire from a distance.”

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear everything you just said,” I muttered in amazement.

“There will be some young men, however,” Matt continued, ignoring my words, “who may be willing to put up with a fat, hormonal teenager to be with you.”

“Did you just call me fat?”

They ignored me “In fact, we know of one gentleman caller in particular who is planning on escorting you to the dance.”

Those last words perked my interest, and I turned to look at him, “Who?”

Louis leaned down so his face was closer to mine and grinned, “Now, what kind of guys would we be if we spoiled the fun?”

Matt ruffled my hair, “Let’s just say, you better start looking for a dress.”

And with that they walked away, tossing out a ‘see you in the car’ before rounding the counter and out of sight.

I turned to Brandon, and he had a curious yet amused grin on his face, “Well, looks like you will be going to the dance after all,”

“Don’t be so sure,” I said, glaring at him, “You know how the twins are with their tall tales.” While I knew the words were true, I wasn’t so sure they were lying in this situation. My brothers were a little insane, and their teasing of me was never-ending, but I knew this wasn’t something they would joke about. Throwing my love life in my face after everything that had been happening was even a little too cruel for them. Now if it was Michael, I would never believe him, and I’d probably stop listening after his first sentence. But Louis and Matt’s hearts were a bit larger, and they not only knew what empathy was but understood and felt it.

“Well, I’ll say this much, Chloe will be ecstatic. Although she and Waeden have been getting along better, I think she’ll be happy you’re there. Plus, she won’t feel as bad dragging you to look for a dress. You know how Chloe hates shopping.”

I smiled at him, but inside my heart was clenching. The thought of Chloe and Waeden dancing hand-in-hand, staring into each other’s eyes with that disgusting, love-sick puppy look made a cocktail of emotions spill inside of my mind. True, I had seen their public displays of affection before, but everything seemed different now. Maybe it was because the fact that Waeden and I were having a baby was more public and less an obsession of my own mind, or it could be that Chloe almost let him go, and it was only my words of encouragement that kept them together. I couldn’t exactly pinpoint the moment when I stopped being happy for my cousin or the reasons why, but somewhere along the line, it happened.

I could never say anything, though. Everyone had already gone through so much pain and trouble on my expense, to dump this on top of them would be borderline satanic. So, instead of voicing my true feelings, I turned to Brandon and replied, “Let’s wait until it really happens, first.”

The next day at school, I was gathering books from my locker after lunch when a figure leaned against the locker next to mine, I chose to ignore it, assuming it was one o my relatives, when a deep voice spoke. “Aubrey Hughes, I hear you’ve been causing trouble without me.”

I knew that my eyes sold out my happiness, but my eyes remained narrowed my lips pursed, “Now Devin, you know that is just not possible.”

“Really? Because I’ve heard your name passed through these halls quite a bit over the past couple of weeks, and I keep thinking to myself, ‘now why would Little Hughes come to infamous statues at this school and not share the glory with her former partner-in-crime?’ and I haven’t come close to an answer.”

“Trust me, this is something you don’t want to be part of. But formerpartner? Does this mean your resigning?”

We held our sober faces for a few moments, neither of us moving a single muscle on our faces as our gazes met with one another. Finally, the right side of his mouth turned up into a lopsided grin “Never,” He replied before walking over and enveloping me in a hug.

“Good,” I replied, my arms squeezing his broad chest as I grinned into his t-shirt. Devin was the fourth musketeer in the band of mischief that included my brothers and Michael. He was in the same grade as them, and whenever trouble ensued he was there, usually as the mastermind behind the magic. However, Devin has also found a friend in me, and there was ever an opportunity to cause mayhem against my family members, he was my second in command.

“So what’s new? I haven’t seen you around recently.” I asked as he finally let go of me.

“Yeah, well, I’ve kept my distance. Your brothers said things are a little tense at home.”

I snorted, “Tense is an understatement.”

There was a moment of silence before he continued, “It’s Waeden’s, isn’t it?”

My eyes opened wide with surprise and I voiced the only thoughts running through my mind, “How did you…”

“I’m very observant, Bre,” He replied, “I’ve seen the way you two have been acting, the way you look at each other, and I know you two were getting pretty cozy at the birthday party.”

My face turned red and I looked away. As far as I knew, no one had noticed our interactions that night. After all, nothing was said afterwards, and everyone seemed so shocked when they found out we had spent a night together. Then again, I was never really aware of the happenings around me. Part of that was due to the alcohol, the other was because I was completely entranced by Waeden.

“Quite the mess I’ve gotten myself into, isn’t it?” I replied quietly after a few moments.

He shrugged his shoulders as he smiled softly at me, “I’ve seen worse. Now, back to the real reason I came knocking on your locker, “His eyes danced mischievously as he clasped his hands in front of him, “What are you doing two Saturdays from now?”

“I don’t know, I might have to check my calendar…” He glowered at me and I laughed, “Seriously, Devin, I don’t know what I’m doing in three hours. Why, what are you and my brother’s up to?”

“Oh, they have nothing to do with this. You see, I hear there’s this dance thing going on, and I was wondering if you’d like to accompany me.”

I stood in shock for a moment before realization hit me. Those little snakes…”The twins set you up to this didn’t they? I knew it.”

“What are you talking about? They didn’t set up anything.”

“Really? Because just yesterday they were preparing me for it.”

“That’s because I wanted to make sure it was okay with them first, you know, get the big brother seal of approval. Trust me, Bre, they didn’t ask or tell me to do anything. I just broke up with Vivian (his former girlfriend whom I never really liked and whom hated me due to the completely platonic bond I had with her boyfriend), and don’t really feel like going into the whole finding a date thing. I wanted someone I was sure I could have fun with, and you were the first one to come to mind. Plus, I know you could use a good night out, with everything that’s been going on.”

I relaxed a little but was still uneasy. It wasn’t that I wouldn’t enjoy myself, because Devin and I always had a good time when we were together. What bothered me was the idea that I was a pity date, asked because I was too pathetic to have someone want to go with me. Not that I wanted Devin to feel that way, because eww; he was as much a brother to me as Louis and Matt were. Still, it really would be a great distraction from everything else that was going on in my life, and although the one person I truly wanted to ask me had a girlfriend I was related to, there was a part of me that reveled in the idea of showing myself off to him.

“You promise this is your own willing decision?”

“Pinky promise, Little Hughes.”

A nickname I didn’t hate. I gave him one more look over before nodding my head as I smiled, “Alright then, yeah, I’ll go.”

His grin spread across his entire face. “Excellent, this is great,” The bell then rang throughout the hallway and we were drawn out of our conversation as the students began to disperse.

“Well, I should probably head to class. If I’m late again, I don’t think they’d hesitate to send me to detention,” He then turned to leave but soon pivoted in his spot to smirk at me, “Don’t make me hound your brothers looking for you, Keep in touch, okay?”

I smiled back at him, genuinely excited for the days to come, “I will.”

Brandon was right, and Chloe was completely ecstatic when I told her that I was going to the dance. She went on and on in her usual fashion about how she now had a dress shopping buddy and it wouldn’t have been the same without me, but I also heard another side to the story of her happiness. Before I joined the group it was just her and Emily, and Chloe was a lot less easy to get along with than I was. Her idea of Emily as a prissy, stuck-up know-it-all wouldn’t change with a few kind words, and the idea that she had to spend an entire evening with her as the only female companion was probably a horrendous one. Brandon knew it too, as I’d seen him more than once try and subtlety convince Chloe to give his girlfriend a chance.

Still, I was looking forward to spending the much-needed time with everyone this dance would bring me. Ever since the news of my pregnancy came out, there was so much tension between any two of us at every given moment that it was hard to get together without worrying about one thing or another. For the first time after my unnerving encounter with Mr. Sorenson, everything was good, back to normal.

My Mother, however was the most excited of all, if possible. The moment I got home that evening and told her she began bouncing around the kitchen ranting and raving. I was sure that if it weren’t for her ability to speak, she would have burst from all the energy she was containing.

“Oh Aubrey, you’ll have so much fun , as long as you and Devin don’t get into any trouble,” She continued, “I’m so happy you’re going out, you’ve just seemed so down and disconnected with everything that’s been going on.”

“Thanks, mom,” I replied sarcastically, but I knew she was right. Before Devin’s invitation I was sure that my social life was doomed for failure and I would slowly spiral into isolation. I was boycotting the dance not because I really hated it, but because it was a social event that reminded me how much I screwed up.

“Nick, did you hear?” My dad had just walked in the door, and he looked at her wide-eyed, his coat half on, “Aubrey’s going to the dance next weekend!”

His head snapped in my direction as he glowered at me, but I quickly reassured him, “Don’t worry, dad, I’m going with Devin as friends.”

He scoffed as he turned around, but I could see his expression ease up, “That doesn’t make me feel any better.”

Over the past few days, my anger and silence at my father had slowly relented, and he in turn began to see me once again as a human being. It wasn’t that I forgave and agreed with him, but after my meeting with Erasmus, I could understand why my father didn’t trust him and, in association, his son. In order for him to see Waeden in a separate light, as the person I knew he was, I first needed him to trust me.

“Oh, Nick, don’t be such a grouch.” My mom then turned to me, her eyes gleaming with excitement, “You girls are going to have so much fun.”

Once again, and image of Chloe and Waeden dancing hand-in-hand under a moonlit sky as they stared loving into each other’s eyes popped into my head for a split second, but I quickly shook it away, “I hope so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, I'm still here! Guess what everyone...it's summer! This means my writing will become more frequent and, with new goals to finish this story by the end of August, things should continue on rather quickly! My hope is to have two more chapters for baby on board finished by the end of the week, but...well, we know how my promises go. Anyway, I hope everyone who's still reading this enjoys, and I have to admit, i'm really, REALLY excited for the next chapter. I've already written bits and pieces, but I've been waiting to finish it for, not lying, since I started this. Well as always, comments, questions, subscriptions, recommendations, and cookies are always welcome, and I hope to see you all by the end of the week!