Status: Completed. :D

And Here's What You Missed on...GLEE

Chapter 40

“Stop moving!” Mercedes yelled at me as she held the curler in my hair.

My eyes were still drooping a little from not sleeping really well, but Kurt had disguised them with his perfect makeup skills. “Then don’t burn my forehead,” I whined, rubbing the red spot, making it worse.

“I did not burn you,” she argued. “The curling iron was just too close to your forehead for too long. But I didn’t hit you with the damn thing. However, I will if you don’t shut up.”

Taking the threat seriously, I sat still with my mouth shut as Kurt got finished getting ready behind the privacy screen. When he emerged, he was looking very stylish, as usual.

“Ellie,” he sighed, looking at my outfit, “sweatpants? After a sleepover at my house?”

“It was a sleepover, and I’m tired!” I defended with a voice that sounded more suitable to a spoiled five-year-old girl than a teenager. “So I’m wearing sweatpants, and I will be super comfortable while you won’t be.” It took all my self-control to keep from sticking my tongue out at him to add to the whole immature vibe I was giving.

Kurt just shook his head and didn’t say another word.

“Alright, you’re done,” Mercedes assured me, fluffing up my hair to give it a little more volume at the top. “Puck’s going to love it.”

“Puck’s seen me with my hair a mess first thing in the morning. And he’s a guy. He doesn’t care what I look like. He just cares if I’ll make out with him or not.”

“That can’t be true,” Kurt voiced, trying to pull on his shoes. “If it was, then he wouldn’t have stuck around so long. He actually likes you. Everyone can see it.”

“We’ll just have to see how long that lasts,” I shrugged, trying to hide the smile that was threatening to take over.

“Guys!” Finn called down the stairs. “You want to get to school on time?”

“Finn’s driving?” I questioned, throwing my backpack over my shoulder. I was going to go back to Kurt’s house later to get my overnight bag, since I didn’t want to have to bring it to school with me. That would have been such a hassle.

“Yeah. The only reason Dad picks me up after school is because Finn has to stay for football.”

“Oh…” I trailed off. “Well, that makes sense.”

We ran up the stairs, and I started out the door, bumping into Finn. “Careful,” he warned, putting his arms on my shoulders to steady me.

“Sorry,” I laughed. “I’m a klutz.”

“It’s alright,” he assured me, smiling.

“Well, as cute as this moment is,” Kurt joked, brushing past us. “I really don’t want to be late for school.”

Cute? That was not cute. He just made sure that I didn’t fall on my face. I'm with Puck, remember? I tried to send the telepathic message to Kurt, but it seemed to miss him altogether.

Sighing, I climbed into Finn’s car, putting my bag at my feet. Taking note of the time, I leaned forward, resting my chin on the shoulder of Finn’s seat. “Hurry up! We only have five minutes to get to class. Shit, I think I needed to go to my locker, too…”

Finn mumbled something in response that I didn’t catch, since I was too worried going through my bag to double-check if I had everything. Nope. I was missing my biology binder. Damn.

Since Finn refused to speed (stupid good person), I got to class the exact second that the bell rang, out of breath and a sheen of sweat on my forehead. Grinning in victory that I couldn’t be yelled at, I settled down in my seat without my binder.

Noticing that my teacher was giving me an irritated look, I gave her an innocent smile. “Let’s not make a habit of being late, huh, Ellie?”

“Wasn’t planning on it,” I nodded. “But I wasn’t late. I made it by the bell.”

“That’s my definition of late. But since you’re giving me an attitude, I’ll see you after school.”

“I can’t,” I voiced, not knowing where the hell I was getting this courage from. “I have to rehearse for a thing for Glee Club.”

She shrugged like, ‘Life sucks, don’t it?’ before turning back to her computer to bring up a PowerPoint that she’d made with notes.

“Bitch,” I muttered, slouching over on the lab stool and plopping my face down on my hand.

Who in the world ever thought that I’d have a detention? Was I really being corrupted that much?

* * *

“That’s my girl!” Puck congratulated me, kissing the side of my face, as we made our way to the lunchroom. “I knew you’d go bad someday!”

“You make me sound like a dairy product. I didn’t go ‘bad’. I wasn’t even late, and I just disputed the thing, and she’s like, ‘Eh, you have a detention because I’m a cat lady that has nothing better to do with my life,’” I mimicked, using a voice that was too high for anyone to have.

“Did she say those exact words?” he questioned, his eyes wide.

Giving him a look that clearly wondered about his intelligence (or lack thereof), I replied sarcastically, “Yeah…because everyone loves to admit they’re a lonely cat lady…”

That made him realize the truth, and he shut up for a second. “Oh, so are you going over Rachel’s to rehearse still?”

“After detention,” I sighed. “Whatever. My verse isn’t as hard as theirs, since…” Stopping with my eyes wide, I realized that I almost gave away something about the song.

“What was that?” he grinned, trying to convince me to go on.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” I winked and put some money in his hand. “Can you go buy me lunch? I’m too lazy.”

“What do you want?” He looked at the group of people, then back at me, looking lost. Oh, poor dumb soul.

“Whatever,” I waved off. “It doesn’t matter.”

He ambled off toward the line, still looking a little confused. I wasn’t sure what, exactly, was so confusing about the whole thing, but I found it better not to ask.

“Sitting alone, Ellie?” Finn asked with an eyebrow raised as he passed by with his tray.

“Nope. Waiting for Puck to get me food. I was too lazy and tired to go up and get something with myself.” To emphasize my statement a little better, I yawned widely.

“I can see that,” he laughed. “Mind if I sit down?”

“Nope.”

He grabbed the chair next to me and sat down. “I’m not sure this is edible,” he mused, poking the food with his fork. Leaning away, I almost expected it to explode or get up and walk away, but it did neither.

“That’s why I always get the cold sandwiches when I buy lunch, which is rare,” I replied. “The lunchmeat is surprisingly edible.”

I leaned a little closer to his food, holding my hair back so I didn’t shed into his food. “What is that, anyway?”

After a hesitation, he replied, “I’m not really sure.”

Laughing, I sat back. “Your hair looks really nice, by the way,” he commented, trying a bite of whatever was on his tray.

“Thanks,” I smiled. Puck hadn’t even said anything, confirming my suspicions. Though I had to wonder if the compliment was coming from Finn’s brain, considering he’d seen me in the morning and hadn’t said a word. Kurt probably told him to say something.

“Here you go,” Puck came back, putting the tray with a cold sandwich and a bag of chips with a chocolate milk in front of me.

“Thanks,” I granted, watching as he sat down in front of me. “See?” Picking up the sandwich, I gloated to Finn a little bit, “Completely edible.”

“I wish I had that knowledge beforehand,” he muttered, running a hand through his hair.

“Be jealous,” I chuckled. Then, I handed him my bag of chips.

At first, he refused. “Oh, come on. You can’t go hungry.”

It wasn’t until I made the bag of chips dance a little bit that he finally took them, laughing. “Fine, fine. Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Looking back at Puck, I noticed the familiar glint of jealousy in his eye. Instead of addressing it, I just took a bite of my sandwich, pretending that I hadn’t seen anything and that he wasn’t watching Finn’s and my every move.
♠ ♠ ♠
200 comments?! Wow! I can't express how much I love all you guys. :D Keep it comin'!