Riddle Me This

003.

“You two both ought to get some sleep.” The older woman said. “We’ll be leaving quite early in the morning.” With a simple peck on her cheek both Auden and Draco passed Narcissa.

The platinum haired boy followed, dragging his feet. She knew he was anything but excited for the beginning of a new term. Auden however was thrilled to begin attending the oldest school of magic. She’d been currently enrolled in Beauxbaton’s Academy for Magic, in France. The school was anything but historical; all new and state of the art. She’d been sent there on her mother’s wishes (Adele had gone there as a kid) and Narcissa couldn’t bear to disregard it.

“Draco, why do you look so upset?” Auden asked the boy innocently as they stood in his doorway. Her hair was falling out of the updo she’d had it in for dinner and the slight heels were held on her fingers as her short black dress failed to conceal the goosepimples that had covered her skin.

“It’s nothing, Auden, go to sleep.” He said shortly putting his hands on each side of her arms and kissed her forehead.

She sighed heavily and looked up at him with accusing eyes. “Please, don’t lie to me.” She knew he had something on his mind. Normally she’d leave him alone, knowing he’d either resolve it himself or talk to her eventually. But this time she could tell it was something intense; she hadn’t seen him this worked up in their entire lives.

“Don’t worry about it, Auden. I promise I’m fine.” He said, though they both knew it was an obvious and poor lie. She turned around frustrated, en route to her bedroom. As she was turning he grabbed her arm. “Auden come on.” He pleaded.

She gave him a harsh look. “If you won’t talk to me and blatantly lie, than I’m going to my room.” Her voice was serious and full of venom.

“I just…don’t want to make you worry, Auden.” He replied seriously with an edge to his words. She began to protest but was cut off by him crashing his lips against her. Once he pulled away, a smirk on his face, he began talking again. “I’m fine, I promise. I’m just thinking and slightly overwhelmed. It’s absolutely nothing to concern yourself with.” His eyes were soft as he looked at the girl.

In an instant she knew he was referring to his task. Things began to fall in place in her head; tomorrow started the task-no more talking about it, no more hypothetical. It was finally real. “Draco, you will do this. You’re strong enough, smart enough, and I know he’s testing you and in a way he’s punishing your parents. He wants them to suffer and worry. But he knows you’ll be able to do it. That’s why I’m going, to help you.” She attempted to comfort him.

“I know, I know. It’s just real now and I don’t know what I’ll do… Because what if I don’t succeed? You’re the only thing, and he knows that, that means anything to me really. Or at the very least you’re the one that means the most. What if he decides to use that against me, Aud.” He said the fear in his voice very apparent.

She smiled at him warily and led him into the room. “Draco, it won’t come to that. We know what we need to do. We have a bunch of plans to do it. And even if it did, he’s my father; at most he’d bluff about hurting me. He can’t lose me; I’m the heir to all of what he’s created. Without me he’d lose everything he’s worked so hard for.”

Sitting now on his bed he began to nod his head slowly. “I know; you’re right.” He admitted.

“Aren’t I always?” She teased him as she leaned in to kiss his lips lightly. She could feel the smirk on his lips connected to hers. “Now, we really need to go to sleep.” She said amusement in her voice.

He groaned, “Fine. Are you staying here?” He questioned knowing the answer before having to even ask it. She nodded and he chuckled lightly. Strutting over to his dresser he pulled out a pair of sweatpants for her, she was always cold, and a pair of shorts for himself. He threw the sweats at the girl and opened the bathroom door before she could say a word. She sighed; again he failed to get her a shirt. “Not that you don’t look gorgeous in the dress…but you should probably get ready for bed.” He said as he looked at the girl lying on his bed.

“Again you failed to provide me with a shirt.” She said looking at the ceiling rather than the boy.

He chuckled at his girlfriend. “You rummage my clothes every time you’re at the manor. And when you’re not, you convince a house elf to take them for you. You could’ve just taken something.” He’d already grabbed her an old sweatshirt from school.

“Yes, but you’re so much closer, Draco.” Auden commented smiling devilishly. He walked towards her and again threw the clothing at her. She caught it as easily as she had the first time. At a quick glance she knew it to be his old Slytherin quidditch sweatshirt. Pulling on the worn and tattered piece of clothing she felt comfortable.

“Is everyone we’ve grown up with in Slytherin, Draco?” She questioned again.

“Yes. Crabbe, Goyle, and Zabini are all there. Plus, there’s plenty more, like Pansy Parkinson…though she’s quite irritating, Eliza Macnair, and I don’t know…lots more. You’ll love it, I promise.“ He said dismissively. Auden nodded, pondering what he’d said. Before either teenager knew it they were fast asleep.

The morning came entirely too soon for Draco’s liking. He felt as if they’d just fallen asleep. “Draco, you must wake up now or you won’t have any time to dress or eat before leaving.” Auden said irritably as she stood over the sleeping blonde.

“I don’t care.” He mumbled into the pillow. She huffed before pulling the comforter off of the half naked boy. “No, no, no.” He said before reaching his arms out to grab the girl. He easily pulled her down onto the bed and snuggled into her shoulder. “Much better.” He said contently

“Oh no, get up. You’re not going to be gross or crabby on my first trip to Hogwarts! Now get up.” She said pushing him. He chuckled at her feeble attempt. “I’m serious,” She said, now extremely annoyed. “get up.”

“Make me?” He said with a smirk on his face. She glared at him. “Oh come on, Aud. I just want a kiss.” He said laughing. Finally she gave in, a smile fitting itself onto her face. She leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the cheek before getting up and running to the doorway. “Not fair!”

“You can have more later. After you get ready!” She called, already heading down the hallway in search of her trunks and cat carrier. Calling for a house elf she surveyed her luggage.

The small elf, Izzy, entered the room bowing as she stood in front of the girl. Auden was sure that the elf had given her nose rug burn by such a deep bow. “You was needing something, miss?”

“Yes, I’d like some help bringing my luggage downstairs, please.” Auden said smiling at the small creature. Though she never understood why Lucious had always treated the help so poorly she certainly wasn’t above using them for their intended purpose. The elf nodded and snapped her small fingers forcing her luggage to float easily down the hallway.

In the foyer of the house Izzy lowered the luggage and turned back to Auden. “Is there anything else you are to be needing?”

“Well breakfast sounds lovely.” She said pondering what meal she’d like. After Izzy had asked the exact question the girl had been attempting to figure out in her head, it came to the girl. “I’d like fruit salad; strawberry, pineapple, grapes, and watermelon. Fresh please. Scrambled eggs and a side of wheat toast with butter.” The elf nodded her head quickly making her large ears flop. “And you should ask Draco what he’d like once he’s out of the shower. Don’t let him yell at you though, tell him I sent you up.” Izzy smiled and was gone in a flash.

“Auden, darling, I can always count on you to be up early.” Narcissa said smiling as she looked over the girl. Auden had decided to dress lightly that day, keeping to a white sundress and light flip flops. “However, you must change into something more formal; your father will be meeting us at the station.” Auden’s eyes widened, her mind raced with questions; the first of many: why? “Before you ask, I don’t know. It was an order he called in last night. Go change, quickly.”

Auden hurried up the steps knowing she’d left the majority of her dresses in her room’s closet; the majority of the formal occasions would be at the manner anyways and she saw no reason to bring them with her to Hogwarts. Ripping the closet door open she rummaged for a suitable outfit.

She decided on a black dress with sheer sleeves. Pulling on a pair of charcoal, almost black, tights she looked for shoes that might look nice with the outfit. She picked out a pair of heels that were black with a bow holding them together. She then quickly stood in front of her large jewelry armoire; pulling at the drawers she looked for the emerald ring her father had given to her on one of the first of their meetings. She then looked for the golden snake Narcissa had given her once she’d told her she’d be switching to Hogwarts. Though the woman had said it was because she was happy Auden would be going to her old school and would be closer to home, she suspected it was truly because she would be there to help Draco. Lastly she decided on the silver, cheap, snake ring and slipped it on her finger.

Satisfied she fled to the mirror to put on decent make up. She first applied her cover-up, then a thick coat of mascara, followed by a blend of black and silver eye shadow, and lastly her thin line of eyeliner. Adding a tad of perfume she was satisfied.

“Much better.” Narcissa said as she again saw the girl. “You’re breakfast is ready, in the dining room.” The older woman said after giving her a brief hug.

“Well you look spiffy.” She told the boy stepping into the room. At the words he looked up, shocked. His stare continued as she walked towards her food that was sitting at his right. “Why are you staring?”

“I…you look…wow.” The girl blushed lightly. But sat down and began eating her breakfast quietly. She began fidgeting nervously with her hair. “Stop, it looks good.” He said finally knowing she was obsessing. She smiled at him and dropped her hand eating the meal that had been prepared for her specially.