Status: Well... I'm back. It's been a few years, and my grammar has inproved. Now, it will just take me some time to edit from the beginning. *sigh* -_- Still, I expect to finish book 1 in a month, or two.

You're Not the Only One?

Book 1 Water: Chapter 1 Mysterious light

"Breathe," I inhaled slowly and whirled my wrist. Water streamed up from the cup in front of me. Grinning I grew bold, today I would finally showcase a move I'd been working on in private. "Iroh this is it look."

Iroh turned his attention, as I twirled the spout around my body. Leaping high I flicked my wrists, water lashing out like a whip in two directions.

"Oh that is some very beautiful bending Jewel. An excellent trick indeed," he clapped softly.

"Thank you Iroh. I've been working on it since last month, when Zuko announced our trip to the South Pole," I sent the water back to the cup, and sat with Iroh at his small tea table.

"Now if only you were as dedicated to fire bending," he moved a game tile and smiled. I chuckled nervously and looked away.

"My mother use to tell me, when I asked about my father. He was a water bender-"

"From the southern water tribe," Iroh finished knowingly.

"H-have I told you this before?"

"Let’s just call it a good guess. Would you like some tea?"

"No thank you." I stared up at the clouds, as Iroh sipped his tea and Zuko stood alertly at the bow. Sometimes, I wondered about sneaking off the ship just to see the world. I've seen a lot traveling around, but we have never stayed in one place for more than a few days. I sighed and wondered if my father was in the area. Maybe he wasn’t captured, maybe he had more family to visit. A bright beam of light broke through my thoughts, and the sky. Its divine blue shine captivated us all then disappeared.

Whoa.

"Uncle, do you know what this means!" Zuko exclaimed turning around.

"I won't get to finish my game?" Iroh replied looking down at his solitary tiles.

"It means my search is about to come to an end," Iroh sighed deeply at his nephews words, and moved another tile. "That light came from an incredibly powerful source, it has to be him!" the deep red scorch across his left eye screamed against his pale skin. I remained silent and suddenly became interested with the lines on my palm. It was best to not choose sides with this matter.

"Or," Iroh enunciated. "It's just the celestial lights. We've been down this road before prince Zuko. I don't want you to get your hopes up over nothing. Why don't you come and enjoy a cup of calming jasmine tea?"

"I don't need any calming tea!" Zuko exploded.

“Hah!” I scoffed sarcastically and rolled my eyes. “Ahem. Hah ahem,” I pretended it was a cough when Zuko shot me a stony gaze.

"I need to capture the avatar. Hounds man, head a course for the light!" he commanded pointing in the direction it occurred.

I shrugged and returned to my bending. It was just the same old story, but as usual I felt a pinch of nerves build in my core. I wanted Zuko to be happy, and live like he used to. I also knew, if that ever happened, if Zuko ever did capture the avatar, I would be alone. The fire lord gave him the invitation to return... not me.

I shook the thought from my mind, no one not even myself should realize those feelings. I never wanted Zuko to capture the avatar, but what ever happens will happen. I won't come between people and their dreams.

"Hey Zukey want to practice with me? We have a while before we reach our destination."

"I have to keep watch in case something occurs. Maybe some other time J."

"Sure," I practiced longer trying to add some fire bending as Iroh finished his game.

"I'm going to bed now," Iroh stretched and yawned loudly. "Yup," Iroh stared at Zukos back. "A man needs his rest....."

Hint hint much? I thought as I stopped and stretched a bit.

"Prince Zuko you need some sleep. Even if you're right, and the avatar is alive, you won't find him. Your father, grandfather, and great grandfather all tried and failed," I listened as Iroh spoke.

"Because their honor didn't hinge on the avatars capture, mine does. This coward’s 100 years in hiding is over," Zuko replied. Iroh shook his head and retired for the night. I could sense the nervous feeling grow, like something might actually happen this time. I could visualize Zuko, victoriously returning home walking away from me, as I remained behind in unfamiliar lands.... alone.

"Uh... good night Zukey..."

"Good night 'J'" he responded absently. I sighed and walked to my cabin. Just my imagination.

**

Bright and early Zuko and I were out on deck with the crew for firebending lessons. I'll just say it's not my strong suit. But sometimes it's not Zukos either.

"Again!" Iroh shouted as Zuko preformed a combination.

"No! No! No! Firebending comes from the breath, not the muscle," Iroh interrupted sternly. "The breath becomes energy in the body. The energy extends past your limbs and becomes fire," Iroh breathed and demonstrated. "Get it right this time! Jewel you have the right idea, you just need to harness it more"

"Zuko it's a little like waterbending. You just have to-" I began.

"I don't need lessons from you the worst fire bender in history! How are water bending and fire bending alike? They are complete opposites!" he yelled in my face as I resisted the urge to slam my fist in to his.

I growled quietly steam rising from my body. I decided to not let that ruin my good mood.

"Enough uncle, I've been drilling this sequence all day teach me the next set. I'm more than ready."

"No you are impatient. You have yet to master your basics. Drill it again!" Iroh replied sternly. Zuko kicked, knocking down a man with his powerful blaze.

"The sages say the avatar is the last airbender. He must be over 100 years old by now. He's had a century to master the four elements. I'll need more then basic firebending to defeat him! You will teach me the advanced set!" Zuko demanded, Iroh staring back at him darkly.

"Very well but first-" Iroh reached for a bowel by his chair. "I must finish my roast duck."

Zuko grimaced, with a palm face. I caught his gaze giving him the cold shoulder, as I stormed off deck.

"It may just be me but I think she's mad about something," Iroh chewed.

"Ugh girls!" Zuko flung his arms up and groaned walking towards the bow.

"Do you think maybe you should apologize?"

"Apologize for what? I just told her the truth!"

"It was only a suggestion," Iroh walked away to get tea.

I paced back and forth in my room, before walking out and to the boiler room. I knew the crew gathered there every day, and I had made a few friends. Really, it's kind of hard not to when you've been stuck out at sea with them for a while.

"Hey Karun," I smiled devilishly at one of the young guards sitting in the corner.

"He jewe---Why don't I like that face?" I saw his eyebrows knitted together beneath his helmet.

"What face?" I continued to smile.

"That one that looks like your plotting something," Haku said slurping up some drink next to me. I sighed.

"Plotting? Me plotting?... Okay I give."

"You know your pretty bad at lying," the two chuckled together.

"I know."

"So what did you want?"

"I want to sneak out for the day, and I want you two to cover for me, if anything goes wrong."

"Oh would you look at that!" Haku exclaimed. "I have to go do something... waaaay over there," he quickly walked out of the room leaving a nervous Karun behind.

"Karun," I pouted up at him and stepped closer. "Please?"

"I-uh- the thing is... that...Zuko-" he rubbed the back of his neck avoiding my gaze as I got even closer.

"Its ok, I understand," I backed away as Haku reappeared with a grin.

"Brought you a drink," I returned his smile with a frown.

"Thanks..."

"So you understand?" Karun questioned slowly.

"Yeah... Thanks anyways," I sighed heavily, and plopped myself down at a table. Three... two... one.

"Jewel..." both sat down next to me. "I guess if you don't take long. We could... cover for you," Karun said sitting beside me.

"Really?"

"Yeah sure," Karun sighed. Haku remained silent eating some chips, until elbowed roughly by Karun.

"Oh of course," Haku said lamely.

"Yay!" I hugged both of them. "Thanks, you guys are the best!" I raced out of the door excitedly.

"Did you hear that Karun? She thinks I'm the best."

"She was talking to both of us," he fumed.

"Sure, sure," Haku waved off the words. "Do you think she will actually be back on time?"

"Uh..." Karun thought, then shrugged and stole some chips.

"Do you think Zuko would even care if she left the ship?"

"You know what? Proooobably not."

"So I guess, that means we are safe either way?"

"Yup."

"Oh... well I have to go back up on deck for more of Zukos training," Haku stood up.

"Good luck."

"Thanks."