Status: Well... I'm back. It's been a few years, and my grammar has inproved. Now, it will just take me some time to edit from the beginning. *sigh* -_- Still, I expect to finish book 1 in a month, or two.

You're Not the Only One?

Chapter 10: Hearing Things

For the first time in a long time I had woken up cheerfully, after sleeping in a few hours. I explained everything I knew about the avatar, and links to Tess. Oddly enough she didn't seem surprised. I guess she felt the same as I did, like something was just off her whole life. Now it's as if things are falling in to place. I threw on some pants, a simple shirt, and my wolf cloak before joining the others for breakfast.

“All right! Dessert for breakfast!” Aang exclaimed as Momo stole an arm full of pastries.

“Ooh really!” I rushed over to the table excited, there was so much to choose from. What should I grab first? The orange thingy, or the jelly filled one! Katara poked an orange pastry apprehensively, and examined it. Aang dug in, with a dessert in each hand, and a mouthful of food. “Well, is it good?”

“Mmhmm! These people sure know how to treat an avatar!” he said enthusiastically, with bits of food flying out of his stuffed mouth. Yay! I grabbed the jelly one and followed Aangs lead. Katara set the pastry down uncertain.

“Katara you've got to try this!” he handed her a pastry.

“Maybe just a bite...” she reached out and nibbled on one. I felt self conscious with her dainty bites as my cheeks bulged with food. I swallowed hard, and remembered my place. Just cause everything is different now, doesn't mean I should forget where I come from right? I sighed as Zuko crossed my mind briefly.

“Sokka, whats your problem? Eat,” Aang said. Sokka sat gloomily in the corner with his arms crossed.

“Not hungry.”

“But you're always hungry!” Aang was shocked.

“He's just upset because a bunch of girls kicked his butt yesterday,” Katara taunted.

“They snuck up on me!” Sokka rebutted.

“Right,” Katara grinned. “-and then they kicked your butt.” I giggled and high fived Katara, earning myself a hot glare from Sokka.

“Sneak attacks don't count,” he growled indignantly. He walked away grumpily muttering under his breath “Tie me up with ropes... I'll show them a thing or two.” He wandered back and grabbed the remaining desserts, before walking off again. “I'm not scared of any girls, who do they think they are?” he popped a dessert in his mouth “... Mmm this is tasty. I can't believe I got beat up by a bunch of girls!” Part of me felt annoyed but, I also felt amused. I shook my head to clear my thoughts, when I realized I was going to be late meeting with Tess.

“Uh oh, guys gotta meet with a friend I'll be back later!” I waved to Aang and Katara as I rushed out to the forest near the beach where we first arrived. The air was brisk as it flowed through my lungs. Today will be a good day.

“Jewel,” a soft whisper came from my left. I turned my head and started walking suspecting Tess. “Jewel,” now the voice was on my right and it sent a shiver up my spine. I paused creeped out, and turned that way. “Jewel!”

“Aaah!” I jumped startled as Tess grabbed my shoulder from behind.

“Hehe,” Tess laughed softly. “Sorry, I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help myself.” I stared at her confused. “I can make my voice travel on the air, even if I'm not actually in that direction. Pretty cool?”

“Yeah... I guess,” I looked at her trying to be upset, but she looked so nice and cheerful it was hard. I smiled and shook my head. “So, did you think about what I told you yesterday?”

“Um...” she began softly. “If you mean coming with you on your journey,” she looked at her feet, and held her hands behind her back innocently. “I did. I do feel like... like there's something for me, out there. Maybe it is to be a link, whatever that means, but...” she looked up at me hesitantly.

“But?”

“I have a duty to Kyoshi. I'm a Kyoshi warrior, and I feel like I have unfinished business here,” she looked down again. I nodded reluctantly. I guess I can't expect everyone to be as eager as I was. I had nothing to lose... but she has everything to lose.

“I understand. I just wanted you to know the offer is on the table, and that you aren't alone in this,” I tried to reassure her.

“I really appreciate that. I want you to know though, I am going to join you. It just might not be as soon as you'd like.” she offered trying to cheer me up. “In fact I'm going down to the training center right now to talk to my master and the village leader... I've already talked to my family... I've just got to tie up some loose ends you know?”

“yeah,” I nodded halfheartedly.

“Hey we still have today right? I'm going to get those talks done but, lets meet here again in a couple hours?” her eyes where bright with hope and I couldn't say no.

“Sure, sounds like a plan,” I smiled and we parted ways. As I walked through the town, I noticed everyone was cheerful and buzzing with life. A small group even gathered, repainting Kyoshi's statue in Aangs honor. I'm amazed at what kind of hope, and life a 12 year old boy can bring. Walking up the steps of the building we where staying at, I spotted a disgruntled Katara.

“Erm, something wrong?” I asked cautiously as I watched her man handle a couple baskets of fruit.

“I can't believe how immature he's being right now,” she mumbled.

“Sokka?”

“I haven't seen him all day. I'm talking about Aang. I really think he's letting all this go to his head. Just because he has some little fan club of 10 year olds,” she continued on with a huff. “He has the nerve to call me jealous. All I wanted was some help carrying a basket!” she continued on her rant. I walked up and picked up a basket. Katara nodded her approval and we made our way towards Appa. “I'm just trying to be the responsible one. We need supplies for our journey, and we can't waste a lot of time here right?” She turned to me for answers.

“Um, right.” I tried to sound sure.

“Do you think I'm worrying too much?” Katara sounded concerned.

“I think you're worrying too much, about worrying too much,” I smiled and patted her back reassuringly. “I'll help you finish with the supplies, after that relax, and enjoy the treatment while we have it. It's not every time we land, that we have free food and a warm place to stay.”

“You're right. Maybe I'll loosen up a bit. Thanks Jewel,” she smiled as we loaded more stuff on to Appa. I figured then would be the right time to disclose what I knew about Tess. I trusted Katara, and I knew keeping it between us girls would be best, for now.

“Whoa that's really interesting. Things just keep getting stranger, and stranger,” Katara offered digesting the information. It was cold but it wasn't freezing outside. Still, I was sad that the sun was hiding behind some clouds. Overcast days, bring such gloom. “I know she won't join us now but I think it's great that we have more friends to count on. With Tess and with this village. I think ever since the air temple Aangs been feeling very alone.”

“That's understandable,” I nodded.

“Maybe I was a little too hard on him. Excuse me Jewel,” she shimmied down Appas back. “I have something I need to do.”

“Okay. See you later,” I sighed. Seems like I'm getting left behind a lot recently. I guess I should go find Tess again I pulled my cloak around me as a chilly breeze brushed my skin. It's a lot colder near the water. Tess was crouched low in the bushes watching the sea. Aang stood on shore half naked, surrounded by girls, and doing a variety of exercises. That boy, sometimes I just don't know. “What are you doing? No wait... what is he doing?”

“Aang said he was going to ride the Unagi today... But I'm investigating.”

“Investigating what?”

“You know how I can make my voice travel?” I nodded at her words. “I also hear other peoples voices traveling on the wind. It's hard to pick out what to hear, and what not to hear. Usually it's just pieces.”

“So what are you trying to hear?”

“The fire nation,” she said determinedly. “They are near I just don't know how near. I can't tell how far the wind travels. I only know it came from this direction, and it wasn't good.”

“Why what did you hear?”

“I think someone is trying to capture the avatar. It's a young voice and it's yelling. No more mistakes!... His capture is my honor... Faster!” Her voice was a concentrated whisper. “I can't get anything now,” she sighed disheartened. “Sometimes, it's hard to tell if it's even real. Or if I just made up these voices in my head.”

“Tess, you know now that it's real. Now we have to do something. Warn the village.”

“I can't,” Tess shook her head. “How would I explain something like this? No one would believe me. Maybe this whole links thing makes sense to you, but until yesterday I had never heard such a thing. Honestly, no offense, but I'm still debating if it's true,” her eyes looked distraught. “I want it to be true... but that doesn't mean others will understand.”

“Tess...” I sighed unsure of how to console her. “It's going to be okay. Just go prepare the village. I'm going to investigate closer.” I walked towards the water inhaling deeply. I felt the energy in my core grow and shrink with every breath. I felt the rays of the sun as they filtered through the clouds, and I felt it all flow through my veins. I forced heat to grow in my body rising to the surface of my skin. It's hot. I stepped in to the water. Wet... but it's warm, I focused on my body temperature as I bended my way across the icy waters. As my energy dwindled I regretted not eating more pastries.

Just beyond eye sight I came across Zuko's ship rapidly approaching the shore. I'm not sure what to do now. Hey Zuko stop chasing my friends, please and thank you. I sighed trying to figure something out. If I know Zuko he's probably waiting impatiently on the bow of the ship... So... I have better odds of sneaking on from the rear.

As the thought completed my body had already taken action, and before I knew it, I was hovering on a spout of water behind the ship. I slid up against the cool metal peeking slightly on to the deck. As I had figured attention was focused ahead, not behind. I crawled stealthily on to the deck. It's too small there's no where to hide. I hurried along trying to make it through the ships corridors. Iroh, Karun, or Haku. They will help! Iroh was my best bet, but I just had to make it there with out getting caught. I slipped in to Irohs quarters quickly, huffing as I tried to catch my breath. My anxiety is so high right now, it's crazy. I swear I can hear my blood flowing... that's not normal.

“Hello Jewel. I see you've returned,” Iroh spoke after a moment. He sat calmly at a small table with an unfinished game of mahjong. “Come sit I'll pour you a glass of tea.”

“You don't know how much I've missed that,” I hugged Iroh tightly as tears pricked my eyes. “I would love some of your tea.” Iroh nodded and poured me a glass.

“You know my nephew has really gotten worked up since your leaving,” he moved a tile nonchalantly. He's upset about me? Or upset about the avatar? “You seem like there is a lot troubling you Jewel. Come sit and talk, too much worrying is not good for the soul.”

“There's so much. I don't even know where to start,” a few tears slid down my face as I sat and slowly sipped the tea. “I've missed you guys so much.”

“So are you returning? Tell me, what exactly happened on that day we found the avatar,” he sat patiently waiting for my answer. I tried to gather my thoughts and began to tell him everything. From the reason I first left, about the bracelet, air temple, and even the saber toothed bear. He nodded appropriately and rubbed his chin in thought.

“Things have gotten complicated around here,” he began slowly as if trying to choose every word precisely. “I do recall something about Links Jewel. Honestly I have always had my suspicions,” he looked at me apologetically. “I just didn't want to tell you, and be wrong. Or put ou in danger from the fire nation. Now that the avatar has returned, your time has come Jewel. You must do what feels right in your heart. I know you will make the right decision.”

“But I-”

“Even if it hurts sometimes, the right choice is not always the easiest one. I love you Jewel, and I wish I could be there for you on this journey. Right now, I think you are doing okay in finding your way. But Zuko, he needs my help Jewel. He is so confused, angry, and hurt right now. It saddens me to see him this way.”

“Is it my fault Iroh?” my hands began to shake. I'm so anxious. Why am I so anxious. I really wish I could just talk to Zuko, and have everything be ok.

“Zuko cares about you, weather he likes to admit it or not. He doesn't know what to believe about your disappearance. I tried to explain my theory and Zuko can't decide if you left of your own will, or if the avatar did something to force you. The second one seemed to ease his suffering a bit.”

“I wish I could talk to him Iroh. Make things right... I know I've ended up making friends with the avatar. But it's not to hurt him I promise,” I was standing now. “I-I don't know what will happen, or what I'm doing... But you guys will always be my family Iroh.”

“I know this Jewel. Somewhere in his heart Zuko knows too. I must look after him and offer him my training and guidance. At this point in a young mans life such a thing is crucial. I want you to know Jewel you still have a place with us.”

“But if Zuko goes back to the Fire Nation?”

“Time will tell. But let us hope he does not. The world needs the avatar Jewel. I realized that a long time ago. Now I just need to open my nephews eyes. I'm not going to choose sides here, the time will come but it's not now.”

“I understand... Things just changed so fast... I've never been on my own before. I feel such a heavy burden.”

“Jewel, you can do this. You have many friends, that you can depend on. You will only make more ahead. You have my support, even if I'm not there physically. Remember your lessons and I know our paths will cross again.”

“Iroh,” I hugged him tightly. “Thanks for everything.

“Now go and warn the avatar.” I nodded and headed for the door. “Remember, patience is a virtue Jewel. And much growth comes from adversity.” his face was serious and determined. I felt like it was the bit of wisdom that I needed to push through that madness. Once again I hurried down the corridors towards the back up the ship. I rounded the last corner with the door straight ahead.

“Hurry gotta get on deck for the attack,” Some voices came from the hall on my left.

“I know I know. Lets go,” another replied. I panicked for a moment, well there's nothing I can do except hope this works. I continued ahead confidently walking down the hall. I walked naturally like I had done thousands of times before. My path crossed with theirs and the paused for a moment.

“Hey guys,” I waved.

“Hey Jewel,” they waved slightly in confusion.

“Better get on deck or Zuko will pitch a fit,” I chuckled hoping it would work.

“Oh yeah! You're right! Thanks,” they both hurried along. I sighed relieved brushing my hair from my face. I can't believe that worked. I heard more foot steps approaching and didn't want to see if it would work again.