Status: Well... I'm back. It's been a few years, and my grammar has inproved. Now, it will just take me some time to edit from the beginning. *sigh* -_- Still, I expect to finish book 1 in a month, or two.

You're Not the Only One?

Chapter 5: Agni Kai

“Fire Nation Kids sound mean,” Sokka shook his head. “I’m really sorry you went through that Jewel.”

“Nah, it’s all good the past is the past. And actually, I think it’s more like, fire nation nobles are mean.... But whatever,” I lit the campfire, as we all slid in to our sleeping bags.

“So what happened? Why did you get banned,” Aang questioned eager for me to continue. I raised and eyebrow, as Sokka sniffed longingly at the camp fire before I went on.

“It was all a trick,” I shook my head, still disappointed in myself. “I ended up winning the duel, only to find out it was against school rules. And I got expelled,” I looked around at everyone’s shocked face.

“But the rule book-“

“Was outdated. Agni Kais had been banned the year before I entered school. They altered the new rule books, and to anyone who owned an old version sent out notices.” I sighed again at the memory.

“that’s so unfair, it wasn’t even your fault. You got tricked!” Aang fumed.

“Yeah, I don’t think me blaming a little kid would have helped my case. Let alone blame the fire nation princess.”

“Good point.”

“Okay, I can understand why you got expelled from school, but banishment is a little extreme don’t you think?” Katara added.

“Yeah, except for the fact I had been caught using the Fire Lords stolen property,” all their faces looked shocked. “Azula’s help was teaching me a few stances, and handing me a borrowed fire stone. It’s this thing the Fire Lord can use to enhance his bending, there’s only one, and apparently it takes years to harness energy in it,” I outlined its shape with my fingers.

“No one knew this right away, so I think my reputation at the school remains untainted,” I smiled at the thought. “But Azula mentioned it to her father before I had the chance to return it to her. With that, the fire lord said, I would either be banished, or my family would be stripped of its titles, and forced in to hard labor… Well, here I am not doing hard labor,” I smiled.

“This girl sounds like pure evil,” Katara whispered.

“Yeah she is. In a way I have to thank her though.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, that school was hell and because of Azula I got to stand up to my bully, and get Amber kicked out of the academy. I’m much happier being out in the world than back in the fire nation.”

“Oh, I see how that works out. I guess some things are just meant to be,” I nodded agreeing with Katara. “But why is she so mean?”

“I think she was born evil, but her real intent was to get us kicked out so that her, and her friends could move up ranks in school.”

“Typical fire nation,” Sokka mumbled turning to get comfortable.

“By coincidence I was transferred to Zukos ship, which made my life so much better,” I grinned happily and they all looked at me like I was crazy. “Well you have to know him, he’s really not as evil as you think.”

“You can keep that opinion to yourself but I hate him he destroyed our village,” Sokka scowled.

“Yeah I’m sure the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Look at his sister for example,” Katara pointed out.

“He held me hostage, and nearly killed me!” Aang interjected. I opened my mouth to object but no words came out. You just don’t know him like I know him.

“See. See, even you can’t say anything, cause you know it’s true,” Sokka pointed.

“Nuu uuh,” I stuck my tongue out at Sokka causing Aang to laugh.

“Can’t argue that Sokka,” Aang giggled then yawned.

“Well, even if I don’t like Zuko, I guess I can trust you.”

“Thanks Sokka,” I smiled, and laid back gazing up at the stars.

“Well, lets all try to get a good nights sleep, we wake up early tomorrow,” Katara announced. Everyone said their good nights, and drifted in to slumber. But I lay awake, still questioning if I had chosen the right path. With Zuko on my mind I too fell asleep.