Status: Well... I'm back. It's been a few years, and my grammar has inproved. Now, it will just take me some time to edit from the beginning. *sigh* -_- Still, I expect to finish book 1 in a month, or two.

You're Not the Only One?

Chapter 8: Natural Connection

Over the next few days we hopped from island to island I clearly had no idea what was happening but Aang was the avatar so things must be running smooth…. Then again…. I thought looking at him as he hung upside down from Appa’s horn.

Today the sun shone cheerfully in the cloudless sky passing tranquil warmth to the surrounding land. I wore a strapless summer dress red and low cut with some flip flops. I forgot what island we were on but it must be sunny year round. The fire bender in me marveled as warm drops of light soaked in to my skin fueling my inner fire.

That makes today perfect for a cool dip in the water… plus I really just need a bath. We made camp near an estuary along the ocean side. I don’t think anyone else noticed the secluded waterfall up stream, or how it created a natural reservoir sitting in serenity. Just waiting for me. I could picture myself floating carelessly in its water, showering in the falls surrounded by the thick green of the forest.

“Earth to Jewel!” Katara was waving in my face.

“Hu?” I blinked swatting her away.

“I’m going hunting to see if I can find us some meat,” Sokka grinned and rubbed his hands greedily at the thought.

“Aang and I are going in to town to get supplies. And food because we know Sokka won’t catch anything,” she giggled.

“Hey!” Sokka moaned.

“I believe in you Sokka!” Aang added optimistically.

“Well it’s good to know someone appreciates what I do.”

“So what will you be doing? Coming with us to town?” Katara questioned.

“Or you could come with me buuut I don’t know how good a girl would be at hunting. Maybe I could teach you a thing or two,” Sokka grinned.

“Oh… I was thinking I’d stick around here and relax. Maybe take a hike,” I offered nonchalantly.

“Well ok, you know where to find us,” Katara waved and everyone went their separate ways.

“See ya later,” I shouted before grabbing some clean clothes. Waterfall here I come!

**

It was just as beautiful as I remembered a private area with pristine waters that where expansive and deep. I gazed high above to see liquid gently pool over a small cliff. I observed how it gradually fanned out to pour in a neat arch continuously feeding the reservoir. Aside from that the waters looked to lay in motionless solitude.

I inhaled the warm atmosphere and knew it was a lie. I could sense the life bustling all around me and it made me feel vibrant and energized. I knew fish swam freely in the waters I knew animals dwelled nearby and the vegetation flourished all around. Nature was thriving and everything was alive.

With one quick glace I made sure I was alone before I stripped down bare and slid in to the waters. I dove deep swimming to reach the bottom with no luck as my lungs gave up just before I touched. I broke the surface gasping in delight as water dripped away from my long hair and the sun bathed me in its dry warmth. It continued like that until I touched the bottom without using my bending, you don’t have to bend for everything.

From there I swam some more energetically doing water tricks and spinning around. I spied on some fish and felt mud between my toes. I swam till my fingers grew pruned and I continued even then. Water was my home and the sun was my best friend. I paid a visit to the waterfall sun bathing on the cliff dipping my fingers to disrupt its flawless flow every now and then.

Warm and de-pruned I dove in once again the sun now nearing the horizon but not yet ready to retire. I drifted on my back letting the water block my ears as I listened to its calm vibrations. My breasts and the majority of my front half exposed to the air.

Just then a gigantic disturbance burst dramatically in to the water causing a back lash wave to scoop me up. I swam above it and turned to the chaos. A saber-tooth-bear was struggling violently in the waters aggravated and wild. I considered fleeing but I noticed a trickle of blood as it sailed downstream. Gradually I approached prepared for some fast bending. It lashed out aggressively with a roar struggling to pull itself up on to the river bank.

I’m not sure why I did it, but I streamed water through the air in a hypnotic motion as I edged closer. Back and forth I swayed and so too did its head. Eventually I was upon it.

”I won’t hurt you. Trust me,” I whispered stretching a hand to its snout. It sniffed briefly and laid its head helplessly in the mud. I stroked the fur between his ears and something happened.

”I was looking for my sister. It came out of the trees! I rose up big to scare It away and…”

I pulled my arm away quickly. What the-? I glanced at my hand faint white marks circled my fingertips like those that had once encased my body, but with less power. I looked in to the animals frightened eyes soft growls where falling from its mouth, as if he was still telling his story.

“It’s ok,” I whispered. The faint marks on my fingers had vanished as I scooped up some water to wash its wounds. Inhaling I detected the life around me once again and I willed that sensation to concentrate in my fingertips, extending out in to my bending. Give life, give energy. The water glowed faintly and dissolved to heal the gaping slash along it’s torso. The bear sighed in gratitude and rose up nuzzling me with its snout. Seeing it now upright and calm I noticed it wasn’t full grown. I’d say it was in awkward transition from cub to adult. Patting his head and eagerly stroking his back I smiled. How often does this happen ever!!

“Jewel stand back! I’ll save you!” I heard Sokka cry and something metal came flying my way. The bear pushed me in to the river away from the blade as the weapon circled back barley missing its head. I stood up waist deep near the river’s edge and knocked away Sokka’s second attempt with a water whip.

“Run!” I shooed away the bear. He growled reluctantly looking between me and the predator before racing off.

“What the hell was that about?!” I shouted bending my way quickly to the opposite side of the river splashing him with my wave. “You don’t just go off attacking people at random!” I could tell he was getting upset with my yelling by the bright shade of red he turned. I wonder just how much he’s trying to contain himself. I don’t care that saber tooth bear didn’t do anything to him!

“Uh Jewel,” Sokka squeaked pointing at me.

“Nothing dangerous was even happening that bear was my friend!”

“Jewel!”

“What!” I shouted back in frustration. He avoided eye contact staring off to the side still as red as ever. I waited for some answer but he just continued pointing at me. I sighed and looked at myself to find something wrong. “What? SO I have a little mud on me I guess?”

“Y-your naked Jewel,” Sokka rubbed his neck embarrassed still not looking at me. I raised my eyebrow then blushed furiously with an embarrassed smile.

“Oh heh,” I covered up my visible top half with a revolving stream of water. “Forgot about that,” I rose out of the water slowly being sure to cover myself up as I made my way to my clothes. Sokka stayed turned around as I put on my underwear. “Sorry I’ve been skinny dipping all day I forgot I was naked.”

“Uh yeah… happens to the best of us,” he replied nervously trying to lighten the mood.

“You can turn around now my important parts are covered,” I laughed as I sorted through my carelessly tossed pile of clothes. I could feel his eyes trying to avoid me but desiring to stare. I slipped on my dress. Now let’s have some fun. I though mischievously. No... I sighed and shook my head as I looked at him. He’s not a random guy from town or a guy friend. He’s 14 and he’s Sokka. “Let’s get going Mr. Innocent,” I walked passed him and pecked his cheek. He blushed bemused and I splashed him with some water.

“Hey what was that for!”

“What the kiss or the water?” I giggled playfully.

“I-both I guess?” he questioned hesitantly. I shrugged and ran off.

“But the water was for the bear!”

“What’s with you and that bear he could have been our dinner!” I heard him chase after me.

“You’re such a guy! That saber toothed bear didn’t do anything to anybody he’s just trying to live his life!” I halted at the camp site.

“You know what, whatever that’s the last time I save you from a life threatening monster!”

“Fine!” I shouted.

“Fine!”

“Uh we cooked some goose-duck for dinner with some native fruits,” Katara offered cautiously.

“Thank you Katara,” I smiled warmly and grabbed a bowel.

“So what’s this I hear about a saber toothed bear?” Aang asked excited.

“Nothing,” Sokka and I dismissed in unison. I flicked a pebble of dirt at him who in turn flicked one back. Eventually it became an all-out pebble war and Aang and momo joined in.

“Enough!” Katara barked after getting flicked in the head.

“Eeeh sorry Katara I wasn’t aiming for you,” I rubbed my arm nervously.

“Enough pebbles for one day it’s time to sleep! I can’t believe how immature you all are,” we took our scolding momo’s ears flopping down. I did refrain from saying I know you are but what am I.

“We wake up early tomorrow because we’ve spent too long here already. I suggest we all get a good night of sleep,” Katara snuggled deeper in to her sleeping bag and turned away from us. I stuck my tongue out at her exchanging smiles with Sokka and a small giggle with Aang.

“Yeah my sisters right we do have to wake up early,” Sokka stretched and plopped back. We always wake up early. Everyone said their good nights before falling in to slumber.