Status: Well... I'm back. It's been a few years, and my grammar has inproved. Now, it will just take me some time to edit from the beginning. *sigh* -_- Still, I expect to finish book 1 in a month, or two.

You're Not the Only One?

Chapter 9: Island of Kyoshi

I closed my eyes inhaling the chilly sea air as we glided over the ocean. I think I’m starting to get use to this flying bison thing. The sun had just risen and although I’d been forced to wake up early the last few days the thought of being a morning person had yet to grow on me. I was snuggled in my wolf cloak and warm boots as I remained quiet and unsocial enjoying the comfortable silence and occasional chatter.

“You have no idea where you're going, do you?” I heard Sokka sigh.

“Weeelll, I know it's near water...” Aang responded awkwardly.

“I guess we're getting close then.” A small smile snuck on my face at Sokka’s sarcasm. I continued to remain a lazy antisocial lump. The only times I recall waking this early where for Iroh’s training. Training that Zuko is probably doing right this second… With Karun and Haku... Then later I’d probably have tea with Iroh. I sighed heavily and sat up right.

“Do you guys like tea?” Everyone looked at me and blinked with question.

“Uh I guess so?” Sokka said.

“Yeah tea is good,” Aang shrugged.

“Sure,” Katara offered and went back to sewing.

“Alright not like that was weird or anything-“ Sokka announced “But Aang seriously the next town we go to I’m getting proper directions.

“Yeah sure Sokka,” Aang dismissed. “Hey Katara! Check out this air bending trick!” I watched a marble whirl around between Aangs hands while Katara was still preoccupied with her sewing.

“That's great, Aang,” she offered absently.

“You didn't even look,” he sighed shoulders hunching.

“That's great!” Katara said enthusiastically with a quick glance in his direction.

“But I'm not doing it now.” I giggled softly at the two. Aha just like my mom use to do to me when I was a kid.

“Stop bugging her, airhead. You need to give girls space when they do their sewing,” Sokka announced dismissively as he lounged back.

“What does me being a girl have to do with sewing?” Katara glared at her brother.

“Simple: girls are better at fixing pants than guys, and guys are better at hunting and fighting and stuff like that. It's just the natural order of things.”

“All done with your pants! And look what a great job I did!” fuming she tossed his half sewn pants at his head.

“Wait! I was just kidding! I can't wear these! Katara, PLEASE!”

“Hah holey pants holey pants!” I taunted Sokka and Katara smiled.

“Don't worry, Sokka. Where we're going, you won't need any pants!” Aang added happily as Appa began to swoop down towards a crescent shaped island.

“We just made a pit stop yesterday. Shouldn't we get a little more flying done before we camp out?”

“Yeah I think so too,” I agreed with Sokka as we all dismounted.

“They’re right. At this rate we won't get to the North Pole until spring.”

“But Appa's tired already, aren't you boy?” Aang proclaimed. “I said, aren't you boy?” with a little nudge from Aang Appa produced a feeble yawn.

“Yeah, that was real convincing,” Sokka narrowed his eyebrows. “Still, hard to argue with a ten ton magical monster.”

“LOOK! That's why we're here elephant koi,” Aang pointed towards the water where Giant red Koi fished leaped up. “And I'm going to ride it. Katara, you've gotta watch me!” Before anyone had time to process much Aang was practically naked jumping in to the water. “COLD!”

We all share awkward looks with each other as I’m coming to realize is a common exchange between us when it comes to Aang’s random quirks. Sokka swiveled his finger by his head to indicate Aang’s craziness. I shrug and see Aang riding the koi as if he was simply wind surfing. Looks like a wild experience. Aang waved to us as the fish leaped and swam around dangerously.

“Woo! Go Aang!” Katara yelled excitedly. “He looks pretty good out there.”

“Are you kidding? The fish is doing all the work,” Sokka crossed his arms. I just clapped for Aang along with Katara a bit less enthusiastically. It was still too early to be jumping and hopping about. I guess I hadn’t fully checked in for the day.

“No, Appa! Don't eat that!” I watched Katara hurry away to help Appa.

“There's something in the water!” Sokka shouted alarmed. I snapped my head back to Aang as a large shadow approached him from behind.

“Aang get out of there!” I exclaimed fully alert.

“What's wrong?” Katara ran back in worry.

“Aang's in trouble,” Sokka informed still shouting. “Aang!”

“Get out Aang! Get out!” She waved her arms to catch his attention. Aang let out a yell as he noticed the dark form shroud the water and a large sea monster break its surface. He ran as quick as possible appearing to even walk on water until he ran in to Sokka and collapsed on shore. We all let out a breath of relief but I still felt on edge for some reason something didn’t feel right. Well this was a dramatic experience my adrenaline is probably still pumping… yeah that’s what it is.

“What was that thing?” Katara asked still worried.

“I don't know,” Aang responded out of breath as he got dressed.

“Well, let's not stick around and find out,” Sokka stood rubbing his hands together. “Time to hit the road.”

“Yeah this is enough adventure for today,” I agreed and started walking towards Appa “Besides this place makes me feel uneasy.”

I heard unsettling noises come from behind and I turned quickly to see my friends being captured in the same instant I felt a large figure fall on top of me. I hit the ground painfully and felt my limbs forcefully bound by ropes. No! My first instinct was to flame my hands and disintegrate the ropes as the person struggled to blindfold me. I growled in frustration trying to escape their grasps. I rolled over with them still on top of me and managed to blow hot steam at the attacker with my mouth. The figure shielded their face and groaned as it scorched their arm.

I forced myself up ankles bound as a second figure ran at me I pushed them down with water from the partially snowy landscape prepared for more. Yet the next instant a cloud of dirt overwhelmed my face and vision. I coughed blinded by the earth and felt a strong gale push me down and the whole group of attackers pile on me.

“Any more funny business and we hurt your friends got it,” there was a harsh whisper in my ear and a forceful shove from behind as I was bound again.

“Yeah, got it,” I responded bitterly.

“Are you ok?” Katara called from somewhere in front of me on the ground.

“Yeah… how about you guys?”

“Yeah,” Aang called.

“If you call this ok?” Sokka groaned in frustration. I heard Momo chirp in response. We all grunted at the same time, an attacker had just swatted me in the back of the head so I figured the same happened to my friends. Now would be a good time to shut up. We remained silent as we were taken to an unknown place and tied to a pole of some sort. I could sense people all around us but I had no clue how many or what might happen.

“I am Oyagi leader of this Island and you four have some explaining to do,” an old male voice spoke.

“And if you don't answer all our questions, we're throwing you back in the water with the unagi,” this was a young lady.

“Show yourselves, cowards!” Sokka exclaimed in rage. I found myself nodding in agreement although I knew he couldn’t see.

Our blindfolds were removed and I squinted through the sunshine eyes still irritated by the dirt. There was a man with long gray hair, and a high poofy ponytail on top of his head. We were surrounded by a group of girls dressed in green, their face paint and armor gave away their warrior status. A girl on my left walked up.

“Keep an eye on this one she’s got some tricks,” With a glare the same girl continued to stare at me crossing her arms. The group nodded and returned to business. I glanced at her through my peripherals and noticed the scorch on her arm, oops. From that moment on I avoided eye contact.

“Who are you? Where are the men who ambushed us?” Sokka demanded. I raised my eyebrow I was pretty sure they had attacked us but I couldn’t know for sure.

“I’m Suki. There were no men. We ambushed you. Now tell us, who are you and what are you doing here?” one of the girls stepped forwards, it was the first fiery female that had spoken to us before our blindfolds where removed.

“Wait a second, there's no way that a bunch of girls took us down,” Sokka chuckled in disbelief. We’re doomed. I looked to the sky sighed then hung my head. I just wanted to grab Sokka and shake him to death. Which is why I smiled when Suki did it for me.

“A bunch of girls, huh? The unagi's gonna eat well tonight,” she growled.

“Uh No, don't hurt him! He didn't mean it. My brother is just an idiot sometimes,” Katara defended quickly.

“It's my fault. I'm sorry we came here. I wanted to ride the elephant koi,” Aang admitted.

“How do we know you're not Fire Nation spies? Especially you,” the old man pointed to me and I shied away from the attention. Why does this keep happening to me? “Kyoshi stayed out of the war so far. And we intend to keep it that way!”

“This island is named for Kyoshi? I know Kyoshi!” Anng offered.

“Ha! How could you possibly know her? Avatar Kyoshi was born here four hundred years ago. She's been dead for centuries,” the old man huffed.

“I know her because I'm the Avatar.” All their faces seemed to show insulted disbelief.

“That's impossible! The last Avatar was an airbender who disappeared a hundred years ago,” Suki challenged.

“That's me!” Anng said cheerfully.

“Throw the imposter to the unagi!” the old man exclaimed. Quickly each warrior assumed a fighting position holding two fans at the ready and menacingly closing in.

“Aang... do some airbending...” Katara offered tensely. Aang broke his bonds and shot himself into the air back-flipping over the giant statue we were apparently tied to. I assume that’s avatar Kyoshi. Aang sank gracefully to the ground with a mixture of oohs and aahs from some villagers who gathered to watch.

“It's true... you are the Avatar!” the old man cried in amazement. Taking this as a good sign I burnt off my bonds and began to untie Sokka and Katara as Aang impressed the crowd with more of his tricks.

“Thanks,” Katara smiled rubbing her wrists.

“Yeah,” Sokka responded flatly crossing his arms and walking off to the side. I shrugged and sat down at the base of the statue. This is more than I ever expected… Just then the damaged sleeve of the warrior I had hurt crossed my corner vision. I stood up and excused myself as I walked after her retreating figure in the crowd. I'm not sure why but... I just have to talk to her.

“Wait,” I called running up to her. She turned a bit surprised.

“Look if it’s about the attack I’m Sor-“

“No, no, I’m sorry. I’m the one that hurt you after all.”

“What this?” she held up her arm. “Don’t worry about it. I know this lady with great herbs it will heal so well the scar might not be visible,” she smiled like it was no big deal.

“No here I’ll heal it for you right now but… I need to go someplace with water,” I looked up at her hoping she would accept my offer. Unsure she nodded and led me through the village and back in to the forest. A short distance away she showed me a small creek nearly frozen over. “Is this ok?”

“It’s perfect,” I smiled and we sat down on some boulders. “I’ve only done this once before… but I think I could do it again if I focus.” Grabbing her arm I palmed a ball of water.

“You’re a—“

“Shh,” I silenced her trying to concentrate. I closed my eyes and imagined the same feeling I had when I healed the saber-toothed-bear. There was the sensation of life flowing and thriving all around me. I breathed it in slow and deep willing it in to her arm as I gripped her injury and the water swirled with life of its own. The water faded and fell away the burn looked well but some of it still remained. I frowned and repeated the process 3 times before she stopped me.

“Now it’s just a small rash. It doesn’t even hurt anymore I’m sure it will be gone by tomorrow,” She smiled gratefully at me. “Thank you.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t heal it faster… I guess my bending is just weak as usual,” I sighed.

“It doesn’t seem very weak to me. You hurt me and then healed me your bending seems to work just fine.”

“Thanks…” I smiled and then looked questioningly at her.

“My names Tessha but I prefer Tess.”

“I’m Jewel,” and Zuko calls me J I sighed and leaned against a tree by my boulder.

“Um, I kind of have to apologize to you too.” She mentioned uneasily. “I was the one who pushed you and threw dirt in your eyes.”

“It’s ok it was a really heated moment after all. And you must be really slick I didn’t even see you do any of that it all happened at once”

“Yeah I guess it did….” The air between us seemed to shift uneasily. “But speaking of heated… I noticed you burned me with your breath but at the same time healed me with water.” I could feel my face grow pale as she brought it up. “And I know you’re not the avatar so…?”

“I-uh… What had happened was…” I sighed trying to think of what to say. I guess I’ve grown so use to using both I’ve forgotten to hide the fact I have two bending powers. Plus I know who the avatar is so I guess I feel like there’s no more risk to be captured. “I… have two types of bending powers. But I’m not very strong…”

“Water and fire?”

“Yeah,” somehow she was calmer than what I expected but I didn’t dare risk a glance in her direction.

“And you’re obviously not the avatar?”

“Nope, Aang definitely is.”

“Hmm,” she said amused. “Jewel.”

“Yeah?” I slowly gazed at her.

“I don’t know why I’m telling you but… something just feels right. I can bend two elements as well.” I shifted between apprehensive shocked and excited in a matter of seconds I couldn’t even find words to say I just stared at her.

“I can bend air and earth… But I’m weak too. So much so, people don’t really notice it even when I bend. Like when I threw the dirt in your eyes or used the wind to help push you down. That’s about as strong as I get… But I’m a kyoshi warrior so I’m strong in other ways.”

“Tess,” I leaned close to her looking seriously in to her brown eyes. “I have so much to tell you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
yay another link =]