‹ Prequel: Lost Little Girls
Sequel: Call It Princely

Some Little Princesses

princess w o r k

Biting a full uncolored lip, the girl rested her chin on the palm of her hand only to have her arm smacked. Her elbow was thrown back off of the table. Her mouth opened in a small o of shock as she looked at the perpetrator. Andrea shook her head. "No elbows on the table girlie."

Izzy leaned back in her chair, pulling her hands into her lap. She wasn't going to dare argue with Andrea on that one. Though she had never heard the rule before in her life. Her parents had never tried to stop her from doing that kind of thing. Then again her parents had never cared to pay enough attention to her to care if she did anything. As long as she didn't kill their accounts they didn't give a fuck one way or the other.

"Sorry," the girl muttered under her breath bowing her head. Silky black hair fell forward over her shoulders covering her face. In this case, she was just glad that the meal was almost done. She didn't fit in with these people. She knew that. She didn't fit in anywhere. She wasn't meant to e, and yet she also had the cowardice to continue her fare of a life. She guessed that was just the way that life went. Besides, she seemed to be the only one to notice it. She could feel herself stiff and unmoving while they simply sat lounging in their chairs like princes on their father's thrones.

She didn't belong with these people anymore than she belonged in the world that she had come from. It was simply another fact that she lived with. These people were comfortable with each other. They knew each other. They had history and loyalty. She was nothing to them. It would be better if she simply slipped away during the night and went out of their lives forever. Maybe out of everyone's lives. She had money of her own. She never touched it, but it was there always waiting for her to take it and her "rightful place" in the world of her family.

The other four at the table stood up all at once, plates clasped in their hands. Dark eyes flicked up to watch them even as nervous hands flicked out grasping the edge of the plate before her. She stood up, frail shoulders slumped forward and eyes darting through the dark curtain of hair. "Wesley, you'll be watching dishes with Izzy tonight."

"Izzy?" the British accent rolled her name before blue eyes narrowed. "No," he snapped the word crisp and cold. There was no compromise in that tone.

The blonde woman grit her teeth and shoved her plate into Kellan's hands as she stormed forward grabbing Wesley by the ear and pulling him into the kitchen. The words exchanged in that room were hushed, but two pairs of ears strained eagerly to hear what was being said.

Andrea came back out of the room alone. "Take your dishes in," Andrea ordered. "You'll be helping Wesley with the dishes," she said jerking her head towards the lit doorway.

Her expression was blank. The woman wanted her to do what? "How do you do that?" she asked. Kellan and Andrea looked at her as if she was crazy. They couldn't believe it was actually possible. She knew it. Another reason for her to leave in the night.

"Just...go help Wes," Kellan said with an exasperate sigh. Why were they so upset? It was odd that people could have such different perspectives in life. Her parents and brother would be horrified if they heard that she was about to learn how to wash dishes. Well, they didn't know anything about her anyway.

What was one more thing?