Status: writers block, not sure where this stories going to go right now.

And I Only Have Eyes For You, But Does She?

you have your own song, your song.

Ruby grabbed her cup and a bottle of vodka while she headed for the staircase; she knew exactly where she would go. It’s where she always goes when she's upset because of them. They were drunk as fuck and dancing on top of each other, kissing each other’s faces and their hands getting carried away around the others body. She began to feel sick, just watching her best friend dance on top of the boy she has loved for years. She needed to be on her own, to calm down and to get some air. Lots of air and a cigarette or two.

Little did she know that Dan was watching her retreat for the staircase, carefully trying to not to allow anyone know what he was keeping his eye on. He always thought he had something more for Ruby. He sent her flirty smiles and looks when she was at band practice. She returned them as she slightly only thinking that’s the way Dan is; he was always very flirty with her. She did have a crush on him but he wasn’t really Max, so it wasn’t as extreme.

Ruby got to the top landing and opened the door to her right. She then pushed pass a secret door that only a few of them knew about. This secret room was filled with guitars, a few tables and chairs. She sat the vodka and cup, down on one of the tables. Stumbling slightly she poured herself a glass and shot it back quickly. Her face screwed up slightly as the vodka burned her throat, reminding her of what the taste of nail varnish remover would be like. She walked over to an acoustic guitar and picked it up. Her feet directed her to one of the chairs were she sat and began to play, and sing, softly to herself.

The lyrics were intense and meant something to her, as her fingers strummed over the strings and pushed down on the upper strings to create chords. Music allowed her to escape from everything; it soothed her into a place where she could be only herself. She let her feelings out on everything in just a simple piece of music. This one was about them, about how she couldn’t stand watching them. She wrote it herself, causing no one to know its name or a single lyric. None of her friends, or family, even knew this side of her. It was her best kept secret.

--Dan’s POV

I had my eye on Ruby for the whole night; she looked amazing in her skin tight black dress with long lace sleeves. I saw her look over to Max and Amber getting too lost in the music with the toxins taking over their systems. Her face fell as she grabbed a bottle of vodka and headed for the staircase. I waited till she was half way up until I left my conversation with Jack and decided to follow her to make sure she was okay.

I got to the top landing and saw the door to the right of me was opened at a jar. My feet stepped inside the door expecting her to be their drowning her sorrows, but no one was in the room. I turned around heading for the door to try another room, when suddenly I heard a voice of an angel singing from behind me.

Where is that voice coming from? I asked myself over and over again, as I put my ear next to the wall in the room.

Suddenly I lost my feet and pushed slightly forward. I was expecting to see Ruby in a secret room playing guitar and singing. I never thought she was musical. She looked up at me with such big brown eyes. They were slightly puffy and I knew she had been crying. She turned back to the nearly empty vodka bottle and poured herself another drink. Before she had a chance to finish it I grabbed it off her. But again I never even recognized the song.
“Hey, Dan why you spoiling all my fun?” she asked looking at me, her voice was slurred due to the high intakes of straight vodka.

“Ruby, tell me please why you’re in this room all by yourself with a bottle of vodka?” I asked worryingly, I crouched down next to her and reasoned with her eyes. Taking in the different tints of brown in her iris and the water line around her eyes.

“That’s an easy question because I wanted to be by myself, but am happy your here.” She slurred her words and reached out for the vodka again. Was she also hinting something?

“Look Ruby you’re in a mess just now. Am going to carry you down to one of the guest rooms so you can rest.” My hand with the vodka in it placed it back onto the table as I picked up the guitar and placed it back on its stand. I came back to her and carried her down the stairs to the first landing and into the guest room. I made sure to close all the doors so that no one would be able to find her. I tucked her under the sheets and kissed her forehead lightly. “Now you get some rest, okay?”

“Okay, but where are you going to go?” She asked. “I don’t want you to leave my side.”
I kissed her forehead again and looked into her eyes. They were huge and her pupils were dilated due to the toxins again. But she still looked amazing, even if she has mascara runs down the side of both her cheeks.

“I’ll be down the stairs just telling Max that you’re up here. Then I’ll be right back.” I replied. I kissed her forehead again and left the room before she said anything else.
I slowly walked down the stairs and over to Max, who was now talking to Chris about guitars or something. I tapped his shoulder and told him that Ruby had too much to drink and is resting in the guest room. He took this exceedingly well and told me that it was alright. I guess he gets use to her always being there, as we all knew she had family problems between her mum and step-father. Max was really her best friend; it has always been like that.

I grabbed another Miller and made my way back to the guest room to find that Ruby had already fallen asleep. There was only one problem I couldn’t be with her just now as in the morning I had to go to a family breakfast thing. I know that sounds stupid but my family is very weird. I swigged back a mouthful of miller and wrote her a note before kissing her fore head once more as I placed the note on the pillow next to her. I left the room and wondered down the stairs.

Taking big mouthfuls of my miller I phoned for a taxi to pick me up, as I had to leave soon. I walked over to Max and he patted me on the back.

"It's alright, she'll be fine." He gave me a reassurance smile and a small glass of tequila. I shot back the tequila quickly and grabbed my jacket.

I said bye to everyone and left. Ruby should be in good hands its Max, he'll look after her. He's also the only one who knows how I feel for Ruby and how I want her to be mines. I jumped into the taxi and on the drive home I couldn't get her voice or guitar playing out of my head. It was so amazing and wonderful. Again I ran over the words I could pick up, hardly recognizing them or the tune of the guitar playing.

Why she hasn't told any of us about her talent is another thing, that I shall find the answer to on another day. Until then I shall have to celebrate the last few seconds of 2009 in a taxi with some random taxi man, as he counted down to zero I joined in with him.