Status: writers block, not sure where this stories going to go right now.

And I Only Have Eyes For You, But Does She?

find a cause to celebrate

Dan’s POV

I and Matt placed down the cakes. But Matt made the mistake of placing one of them in front of Ruby. She picked up the cake and ran up the stairs. Everyone looked at her like she was crazy but I just laughed to myself.

“I’ll go get her.” I said to everyone as I left the room.

I jogged up the stairs and into the room where I found her last night, I had an awful good feeling that she would be found in this room. She had a piece of cake in her hand with a chunk bit out of it. I walked over to her and smiled.

“Are you going to share any of that?” I asked her smiling.

She shook her head and took another bit of her piece.

She reminded me of a five year old kid. I laughed at this. She truly was adorable.

I asked her again and she gave in and handed me a piece. We sat up here for about half an hour eating the cake to ourselves. There was two pieces left and we saw Max standing at the door.

“We wondered to where you guys where and I figured here because Ruby always seems to like this room.” He smiled and walked over to join us. As he did he grabbed one of the two pieces of cake left and placed it in his mouth.

Ruby looked at him with a face that meant ‘What the fuck are you doing? This is my cake.’
Max just stuck his tongue out of her and picked up a Gibson Hummingbird. I must admit it’s a beautiful acoustic guitar. He started to play ‘Take Your Breath Away’. Me being me, I decided to use the table as a drum kit and started to do the beat of the drums on it.

Max sang the whole song. He wasn’t as good as Josh singing it as he couldn’t reach some of the right notes. But Ruby decided to sing it with him. Max smiled at her voice. This was the second time I heard her beautiful singing voice. She was amazing in every way.

They finished the song and Max placed his guitar down. I leaned into Ruby and kissed her lips softly. At the corner of my eyes I saw Max turn his head to the side so he didn’t have to watch, i guess.

“You sang so beautifully.” I whispered into her ear.

“Thank you.” She replied smiling at me.

“Finished yet guys?” Max asked us. We both shook our heads signaling yes. “Well then I would just like to say that Ruby your voice is amazing and why haven’t you ever told me or any of us that you could sing?”

“I was worried that you guy’s wouldn’t think I was that good of a singer.” Ruby replied pulling a piece of her fringe out of her eye.

“Jesus. Is there anything else that your hiding from us that is of musical talent?” He asked her. Luckily he added in the ‘musical talent’ part because Ruby was hiding the fact that she really liked him from him.

“Well, I can play guitar. I’ve been playing since I was 8.” She smiled at him.

Max picked up his hummingbird and asked her to play something.

She played a song that I have never heard before. It must have been one of her own songs. I was so proud of her. My own girlfriend has amazing musical talent.

“Ruby, I think I'm going to go and talk to Josh about asking him for you to do a song with us, because that was fucking brilliant.” Max smiled. He slightly jumped up and down with excitement.

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled, her cheeks went slightly red.

We all ran down the stairs. Well only Max. Ruby had the guitar in one hand and her other hand intertwined with mine. We all found Josh in the kitchen cleaning up the mess of the dirty plates. I passed him the plate that was up the stairs with a piece of cake on it. Josh’s hand reached out and grabbed the last piece of cake. In two bites the last piece was gone. Damn he has a big mouth. No wonder he can eat a lot of food at the one time. He placed the empty plate into the dishwasher and turned it on.

“What’s up, guys? And why does Ruby have a guitar in hand?” Josh asked looking slightly confused towards the guitar that was grasped tightly by Ruby’s hand.

Max’s POV

We finished our New Year’s dinner missing Ruby and Dan. I decided to go find them. I knew exactly where they would be. I know that they will be in my secret room filled with guitars because that’s where I always find Ruby when she’s hiding from the rest of the world. I never really quite understood to why she liked this room as I don’t think she is musical in any way. But little did I know that I was about to be proved wrong.

I left the kitchen after returning a lot of plates and slightly jogged up the flights of stairs. I was slightly out of breath and turned to right. The door was left opened and I walked to the wall finding the secret door. It creaked open slightly and I smiled down at Dan and Ruby sitting on the floor with a piece of cake in hand and two pieces left on the plate. They both smiled in return to mines.

“We wondered to where you guys where and I figured here because Ruby always seems to like this room.” I said heading towards the plate of cake. I picked up a piece and placed it in my mouth.

I grabbed my ‘Hummingbird’ acoustic guitar and started to sing ‘Take Your Breath Away’. I not too sure to why I picked this song as I couldn’t really hit all the notes. But I guess it was the atmosphere of the room and I was slightly singing it in the terms of how Ruby takes Dan’s breath away. She’s all he talked about for the whole month of December, when we were on tour with Paramore.

I heard this voice of an angel when I hit the chorus. My eyes looked down to see Ruby singing so amazingly with me. I was shocked with the talent her voice held and how she hadn’t told me about this for all these years.

The song came to an end and I placed down the guitar. Dan reached into Ruby and kissed her lips. I turned my head to the side. Why would I want to see two of my best friends kissing each other?

I asked them if they were done and if Ruby was hiding anymore musical talents from me. When she responded that she could play guitar I handed her the ‘Hummingbird’ and asked her to play something.

She did as I asked her too. But she sang a song I did not know. Did she write this song by herself? I thought to myself. I know that she’s good at English in school as I have read some of her creative side of things. But I never knew she wrote lyrics or even songs? Wow, I am certainly learning a lot for a new day in a new year.

She ended her song and I jumped up and down in an exciting way. I done this because I had a brilliant idea but I had to show her amazing talents to Josh first.

I told her to grab the guitar as she is going to sing to Josh and everyone else that was down the stairs. I ran down the stairs first as I was so happy that my best friend was so amazing at something I never knew that she could do.

We were finally in the kitchen, where everyone was.

“What’s up, guys? And why does Ruby have a guitar in hand?” Josh asked us.

I slightly jumped up and down when he asked this. I was so excited that there was no way I could hide it.

“Well Josh. Our good friend Ruby here has been keeping a big secret from us, her good musical friends.” I said, thinking that I sounded so smart by saying this comment to Josh.

“So your point is?” Josh asked, causing me to smile in a big grin.

“Well, Ruby would like to show you guys something.” I addressed to Josh then looked to Ruby smiling at her for encouragement.

I could tell that she was afraid of what Josh and Matt would say about it. But I knew that she will do great. She pulled a chair over and placed it in front of us. Getting herself prepared for something that I hope Josh is going to enjoy.

Josh’s POV

Ruby placed a chair in front of us and started to strum chords on Max’s ‘Hummingbird’. I loved this guitar of his. I then heard Ruby’s voice but it wasn’t speaking it was singing. Her voice sang with so much passion and I could tell that the song she was singing meant something to her. It was also a song that I did not know, which guesses means that she wrote it.

So how did she manage to keep this hiding from us for this long? She was unbelievably good. I think I need to phone my sister and ask her what she thinks. I can see a lot of good things happening to Ruby this year and now I can understand to why Max was extremely excited about her musical talents.

Ruby’s POV

I finished the song and heard everyone in the room clapping. I almost forgot that they were there. This shows to how much the song I just sang means to me. It was written about Max but he would never know this as I am not planning on telling him this.

I looked up at everyone crowding around me and I could have sworn that I saw a tear in Max’s eyes.

“Ruby, you are amazing and I think this year could hold some amazing chance for you and your musical talents.” Josh said to me crouching down so that he was at eye level with me.

“Thank you.” I said to him. I handed the guitar to Max and pulled Josh into a hug.

“I agree with Josh on this.” Matt said smiling down at me.

I got up of my chair and pulled him into a hug, smiling at the fact that one of my favorite bands and my closest friends like my music.

The night had gone by quite fast. We played a lot of drinking games and again I crashed at Max’s, I never really felt like going back to my house when there was no one living inside it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading this chapter and the whole story. If you are reading this you're truely amazing :)

Chapter Title Credit - Kids In Glass Houses - Maybe Tomorrow