Status: Complete

Promise Me You Won't Leave My Side

Promise Me You Won't Leave My Side

Craig was slumped against the wall, an empty bottle of Jack in his hand and a frown tugging at the corners of his full lips. He had agreed to come to Beau's party for a reason he couldn't recall at the moment, but now all he wanted was to slink back to his house and hide beneath the covers until his love diminished. It was so innocent in the beginning, nothing more than a fledgling crush that developed into a raging desire Craig fought viciously every moment of his life. Even in his dreams he was haunted by the face of the boy who stole his heart and ripped his life to shreds, accomplishing such feats with nothing more than a boyish smile. No matter how hard Craig wrestled with that particular demon, it always returned strong enough to overpower him. And if anyone ever discovered his little secret, he would lose his band, his family, Leila, and his life. He slid down the wall slowly, pulling his knees to his chest and burying his face in them, inhaling the scent of denim, cologne, and cheap booze.

"Bro?" The voice was unmistakable, and hearing it made Craig cringe further into himself. "Hey, you don't look so good. Let's get you up to the guest room."

"No, I'm fine," Craig said hurriedly, lifting his head just enough to speak without his voice being muffled.

What was he supposed to do, go upstairs alone and snuggle up to the one person who could rip his whole world away in a matter of seconds? He was drunk enough to know it was a bad idea, but his sober mind argued he needed to spill the truth to know if anything would come of his misplaced feelings. It was probably a bad sign he thought more logically when he was drunk, but he would deal with that later.

A sigh drifted from somewhere above his head. "No one here is sober enough to drive, so we're all stuck. I don't know about you, but I don't want to sleep on the floor. And it would be a hell of a lot less awkward to wake up beside you, you know? I lived with you long enough to know you're not gonna grope me while I'm asleep. Please?"

Craig bit his lips hard to hold back the snort that sprang from his throat, knowing there was no way after all the time he tried to tame himself. He couldn't come up with a fast enough reason to say no, and his stomach knotted furiously as he pushed himself to his feet.

"Come on," that velvety voice slurred, one hand coming to rest on the back of Craig's neck.

Heat swam down his back from the spot those callused fingers brushed, his heart stuttering shyly at the chaste caress. Craig mentally snapped at the stupid organ causing him all of the unnecessary drama and managed to force out a week little smile. It was hard to form a coherent thought when the boy in front of him was grinning like that, his eyes shimmering so beatifically it made Craig dizzy. So simple, to just close the small distance between their lips and pour his emotions out in one powerful surge, but he couldn't.

He couldn't do that to his little brother.

Colten's hand dropped from his neck to grip his upper arm, leading him toward the stairs. Craig dropped the empty bottle so he could clutch the banister, his arm burning where Colten's slim fingers were wound around him. How many nights had he longed for any kind of touch, anything to soothe the pulsing ache in his chest that refused to go away?

"It's right here," Colten said, pulling Craig to a door on the left side of the hallway and pushing him inside.

The light flicked on above them, and Craig relaxed when he saw there was absolutely nothing sensual about the queen-sized bed in the middle of the room. He tentatively sat down on the edge of it and started to bend down so he could unlace his shoes, sitting back up seconds later when the room spun. Of course, he ended up getting so smashed it was impossible to form a thought, much less perform a common task.

"I got them," Colten said, dropping to his knees and sluggishly unlacing the shoes, tugging them off along with the socks beneath. He sat back and pulled his own off before standing. "Might as well get comfy."

Craig nodded numbly, his mouth drying when Colten unbuckled his belt and let his jeans fall to the floor, leaving him in nothing but a pair of simple black boxers. Then off went his shirt, revealing a pale, slender chest that made Craig suddenly self-conscious of his softer physique. He lowered his eyes to the floor and pulled his own shirt off, shivering as the chilly air in the bedroom brushed against his skin. His jeans were a bit of a challenge, but he managed to peel them off before Colten could volunteer to help him again.

"It's fucking cold in here. Lay down," Colten said, flipping the comforter back so Craig could slip beneath hit.

Guilt churned in Craig's stomach as he watched Colten's body, memorizing the smooth movements of muscle beneath skin before his brother flipped the light off. Darkness blanketed the room, but Colten seemed to find the bed effortlessly, plopping down and sliding beneath the covers.

"Night. Love ya, bro."

Love. Craig swallowed a bitter sob as his self-control bent and finally snapped, bowing his head as the tears crashed through his meager resistance. The agony dug deep into his belly, knocking the air from his lungs and choking him, sending violent quakes through his body. Everything he had been holding in clawed through him and demolished him, ripping and tearing at his heart until he was left heaving, raw.

"Bro?" Colten's voice was panicked, his hands finding Craig's face and cradling it. "Craig, what's wrong?"

No, he couldn't, couldn't divulge the secret he kept buried deep in his heart, hidden away from anyone who could use it to hurt him. It would seep into every aspect of his life like a disease, infecting everything until all of it was too far gone to save.

"C-C-Colten," he whispered, turning his face so he could hide himself behind those warm fingers. "I'm s-sorry."

It was cold, so fucking cold, but Craig made no move to pull the blanket up from where it rested across his waist. Colten was the one who drew the comforter up the length of their bodies, scooting across the mattress until the space between them was reduced to nothing. The physical contact shot a bolt of electricity through Craig's body, leaving him numb and trembling, trying to hide the effect his brother was having on him.

"Tell me," Colten said, pressing his forehead to Craig's, their lips an inch apart.

Craig wept brokenly and leaned forward, tilting his head just so as his lips met his brother's, pressing his cold palms to Colten's warm cheeks. He deepened the kiss without a second thought, caressing Colten's tongue with his and moaning when he felt fingers wind tight into his hair.

"I'm sorry," he breathed when he drew back, unable to stop the shame that crashed through him in violent waves.

He gasped when Colten yanked his head forward, attaching their lips and thrusting his tongue into Craig's mouth. The passionate display was shocking, making the hairs on Craig's arms prick with static electricity. He felt one of Colten's hands cup his groan, massaging the erection he now sported with a tender yet firm caress, leaving him breathless.

"Don't be sorry for loving me," Colten whispered, his voice soft yet urgent. "Was waiting for this day ever since I turned ten, you know? I had to sit by and watch that bitch walk all over you and try to take Lei away. My niece. And the whole time all I wanted to do was tell you how I feel. I was too afraid of you turning me away and telling me you didn't love me back."

Craig sucked in a tight breath and nuzzled his face against Colten's with a soft whimper. "But I do love you! I always have."

He was limp as Colten moved impossibly closer to him, burrowing into his brother's chest as he tried to block out the world around him. A shiver traveled down his back when he felt Colten's hand toy with the waistband of his boxers, slipping beneath them to cup his ass and squeeze. A groan stuck in his throat when both hands were suddenly on him, groping him as Colten's lips left feathery kisses on the top of his head. He lifted his head and sighed when Colten's lips found his again, opening his mouth the moment his little brother's tongue swiped across his lower lip.

"You taste just as good as I dreamed," Colten said, sucking Craig's lower lip into his mouth.

"Dreamed?" Craig felt his face heat up when he remembered all of the countless nights he had to change his sheets because of his many fantasies. "You dreamed about me?"

Colten laughed and nuzzled Craig's lips. "Every night, I dreamed of you telling me you loved me. And then we'd have wild, hot sex on my bed. But we can wait for that second part."

"If we're having sex, we're doing it in my room," Craig said, smiling softly. "Can I have one more kiss?"

"As many kisses as you want," Colten said.

Their lips crushed together again, and Craig poured all of his emotion into it, pressing his body against Colten's and grinding their hips together.

"I'm tired," he said, licking his bruised lips.

"It's been a long night for both of us," Colten admitted, kissing Craig chastely on the forehead. "Are we going to tell anyone that we're together? We'll get shit for it."

True. "Only a couple of people we know won't go public with it. And we have to talk to Leila about how this isn't bad."

"It's not," Colten agreed.

Craig nestled against his brother's warm chest, shivering when he picked up the steady thumps of Colten's heartbeat. He always wanted that heart to beat for him, and now that he knew it was and always had been, it took everything in him not to cry.

"What if they find us like this?" Colten asked, his fingers sifting through Craig's hair.

Then everyone would know the truth about how the Mabbitt brother were together, and their love would be thrust into the limelight for everyone to see.

"It'll be bad," Craig admitted, pulling back. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I love you, Craig," Colten said, stealing one last kiss.

"I love you, too. Just. . ." Craig sighed. "No matter what happens, promise me you wont' leave my side."

Colten smiled. "I promise, bro. I'll always be here."