She Deserves Better.

Severus Snape, the new DADA professor.

Alexis grabbed a goblet, filled it with a thick golden potion that she had just brewed out of the small pot. Grabbing the goblet, she ran out of the potions classroom, to the Headmaster's office, shouting the password as she burst into the office that night.

Panting, she stopped next to Severus. Dumbledore sagged sideways into his throne-like chair, semi conscious. His right hand dangled over the side, blackened and burned. Severus pointed his wand at the wrists, muttering incantations as Alexis tipped the goblet of potion down Dumbledore's throat. After a moment, Dumbledore's eyelids opened. 

"Why," said Severus, without peramble, "why did you put on the ring? It carries a curse, surely you realised that. Why even touch it?" 

Marvolo Gaunt's ring lay on the desk before Dumbledore. The sword of Gryffindor lay beside it. 

Alexis and Severus watched as Dumbledore grimaced. 

"I..was a fool. Sorely tempted." 

"Tempted by what?" Alexis asked.

Dumbledore did not answer.

"It's a miracle you managed to return here!" Snape sounded furious. "That ring carried a curse of extraordinary power, to contain it is all we can hope for; I have trapped the curse in one hand for the time being-" 

Dumbledore raised his blackened hand and examined it with the expression of one being shown an interesting crucio. Alexis gripped onto Severus arm tightly. 

"Both of you have done well. How long do you think I have?" 

Severus and Alexis exchanged looks, Dumbledore's tone was calm and conversational. Severus hesitated and then said, "I cannot tell. Maybe a year. There is no halting such a spell forever. It will spread eventually, it is the curse that stengthens over time." 

Dumbledore smiled at Alexis who seemed upset. He gave a pat on her shoulder. 

"I am extremly fortunate to have you both." 

"If only you had summoned me a little earlier, I might have been able to buy you more time!" said Severus furiously. 

"Sev.." Alexis said softly, squeezing his hand, trying to calm her husband down.

Alexis looked down at the broken ring and sword. "Did you think breaking the ring would break the curse?" she asked.

"Something like that... I was delirious , no doubt." said Dumbledore. "Well, this makes matters much more straightforward."

Severus looked utterly perplexed. Alexis had a pained look on her face. Dumbledore smiled.

"I refer to the plan Lord Voldemort is revolving around me. His plan to have the poor Malfoy boy murder me." 

Severus sank on the chair across Dumbledore. Severus tried to discuss the matter of Dumbledore's cursed hand but he just raised his hand, refusing to discuss further.

He turned to Alexis. "I am sure you know about this, Alexis?" 

A soft whimper came out of Alexis. She nodded. 

"Have you got your mark yet?" he asked, asking so simply like asking a little child if she wanted a sweet.

Alexis licked her lips and looked at Severus before looking back at Dumbledore. "Not yet. Next week." he said, the last two words came out like she had something bitter in her mouth. 

Severus scowled. "The Dark Lord does not expect Draco to suceed. This is merely punishment for Lucius's recent failures. Slow torture for Draco's parents, while they watch him fail and pay the price."

"In short, the boy has had a death sentence pronounced upon him as surely I have," said Dumbledore. "Now, I should have thought the natural successor to the job, once Draco fails, is yourself, Severus?" 

There was a short pause.

"That, I think is the Dark Lord's plan."

"Lord Voldemort forsees a moment in the near future when he will not need spies in Hogwarts?"

"He believes the school will soon be in his grasp, yes." 

"And if does fall into his graps, I have both of your words that both of you will do all in your power to protect the students of Hogwarts?" 

Alexis stood next to Severus and squeezed his shoulder, both of them nodding stiffly.

"Good. Now then. Your first priority will be to discover what Draco is up to. A frightened teenage boy is a danger to others as well as himself. Offer him help and guidence, he ought to accept, he likes you both-"

"-much less since his father has lost favour. Draco blames me, he thinks I have unsurped Lucius's position."

"Dumbledore's right, Sev." Alexis spoke out. "We can't let Draco go through this alone! He's too young! If you won't help him, I will. I can't let this damage his future." she said firmly staring at Severus.

Dumbledore smiled gratefully at Alexis. "Alexis is right. His future depends on the both of you. And it's all the same, try. I am concerned less for myself than for accidental victims of whatever schemes might occur to the boy. Ultimately, of course, there is only one thing to be done if we are to save him from Lord Voldemort's wrath." he said slowly, looking at Severus. 

Severus raised his eyebrows and his tone was sardonic as he asked. "Are you intending to let him kill you?" 

Alexis frowned. "No Severus. Albus wants you to kill him." a horrid look spread across her face.

There was a long silence.

"Would you like me to do it now?" asked Severus, his voice heavy with irony. "Or you would like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

Dumbledore mumbled something about it happening in a year and Severus asked him why he did not let Draco do it.

"The boy's soul is not yet so damaged," said Dumbledore. "I would have it ripped on my account."

"And my soul Dumbledore? Mine? What about my wife's? What about Alexis's?" 

"You alone know whether it will harm your soul to help old man avoid pain and humiliation." said Dumbledore. "I ask this one great favour, Severus, Alexis, because death is coming for me as surely as the Chudley Cannons will finish bottom of this year's league. I confess I should prefer a quick, painless exit to the protracted and messy affair it will be if, for instance, Greyback is involved- I hear Voldemort has recruited him? Or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?"

Alexis grimaced at the mention of Bellatrix's name. "Do. Not. Mention. Her. Name." she said bitterly. 

Dumbledore looked at her, his blue eyes piercing. His eyes shifted between Alexis and Severus. Alexis stared back at him. "Rest assured Severus and I will make sure the plan goes smoothly."

Severus said nothing but gave a stiff nod. 

"Good. Now Alexis, you look tired. You might want to go and have a rest." Dumbledore said kindly. "I would like to have a chat with Severus." 

Alexis looked at him. She was about to protest that she wanted to stay, that she was Severus's wife, but her lips kept shut. She gave a nod as Severus stood up and gave a kiss on her forehead. 

"Go to bed," he whispered so that only she could here. "You must be exhausted."

Alexis blushed, surprised he would show such affections in front of Dumbledore, but she smiled, pleased. She nodded, wished Dumbledore goodnight and went back to their new room at the school that Dumbledore had given them.
********************************

"That was a very sweet gesture from you Severus." Dumbledore said, smiling.

Severus gave him a rare full smile. "She is my wife after all. 

Dumbledore nodded. "You are a very lucky man Severus. Alexis loves you very much." 

Severus smiled as he thought of his wife. "She is my light." he whispered.

Dumbledore smiled, finally pleased Severus had found happiness. "Ah, before I forget, I have good news for you." 

Severus looked at Dumbledore, curious. "And may I ask what it is?"

"I've decided to give you the Defence Against The Dark Arts post." he chuckled as he saw Severus's eyes lit up. "I think you better go, Alexis might be waiting for you. She will not like it if I keep her husband away for too long. And you may tell her about the new post." There was a twinkle in his eye.

Alexis struggled to keep her eyes open. She was on the armchair, reading an old copy of Witches Weekly magazine under a dim table light when she heard the door open. 

"Severus?" She called out.

She saw a ghost of smile on Severu, the last one appeared when she had said yes when he proposed to her. 

She stood up and gave a hug to him. "Hmm. Why are you smiling darling?" she asked, her thumb brushing across his face.

"Can't I smile when I see my beautiful wife?" Severus said slowly and his smile grew bigger as Alexis blushed.

They knew each other for a long time, he courted her for almost 4 years, been married for almost two months and yet he still had the ability to make her blush. He smirked. 

They leaned in for a kiss and Alexis ran her hand through his hair. After a while, Severus broke apart. "Guess what?" 

Alexis looked at him, "What?"

Severus raised an eyebrow. "You're not guessing." 

Alexis sighed, her arms dropped around his waist. She bit her lips, thinking hard. "You've finally decided to cut your hair?" she guessed, trying to hold back laughter.

Severus rolled his eyes and drew her closer. "Ha ha. Very funny, love." he said dryly, gently tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "Dumbledore gave me the Defence Against The Dark Arts post!" 

Alexis stared at him and she broke into a grin. She put her arms around him again. "Congratulations! It was about time." she gave Severus a kiss. 

Severus broke apart quickly, "You do remember about your mark don't you?" he said seriously. "If you don't want one, you can pull out. I'm sure-"

Alexis placed a finger on his lips. "We've already discussed this. I'm going to get a mark." she said grimly. 

For the rest of the night, the two said nothing. Severus held Alexis tight in his arms as she slept, fear reaching his heart for a reason. 

He stroked her hair gently, as he watched her sleep, her chest rising and falling as she breathed, snuggling under his arms. A small smile appeared on his mouth as he heard her talk in her sleep, mumbling about asking Severus to pick up his underwear, in her sleep. 

She was special to him. He used to go to sleep alone, and as much as he hated to admit it, he was lonely. But ever since Alexis came into his life, he had been smiling more than he ever had. She gave him love, something he never had. Of course, it took him time to ever realise he was in love with her, she had to make the first move, but now, she was his wife. He was surprised she would ever gave him a chance. She was beautiful and youthful looking and him, old, struggling to go through every single day.

 He told her everything, and she would patiently listen, giving him comforts in the forms of her kisses and hugs.

She understood how Lily had a special place in his heart, and surprisingly was never jealous, in fact, she whole heartedly helped him in giving honor to Lily's sacrifice. Lily was after all, Alexis's closet and dearest friend.  

But he made it a point, never to fail in telling Alexis how much he loved her. Everyone saw a soft spot in Professor Severus Snape that they never knew he had in him. From they way he looked at her, to the way he spoke to her, everyone knew Severus was smitten by Alexis, even though he refused to admit it. 

He smiled to himself as he felt her arms around him. Snuggling closer to her, he closed his eyes as he mumbled in her hair, 

"I love you Alexis."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just fyi, I did refer to the book. I will do so for some other chapters too :)