She Deserves Better.

Alexis's memories.

Severus followed Dumbledore to his office, wondering what was so important that he had to leave Alexis.

Dumbledore went and took a small bottle filled with contents that were silver thread like. "You said she could not conjure a patronus?" he asked Severus softly.

Severus nodded, not keeping his keeping his eyes away from the bottle. 

Dumbledore called Severus to come closer as he poured the content into a pensieve. "I think maybe you should see this."

Severus looked at Dumbledore, puzzled, before he dived in as the memories seemed to swirl.
********************************
He found himself in the Hogwarts Express. He saw the 11 year old him and Lily. A brown hair girl tripped and fell on the floor of the narrow train corridor outside their compartment. 

Lily quickly got onto her feet and he saw himself did the same. 

"Are you alright?" Lily asked, as he helped the girl up.

"Yes, thank you!" The girl said, her cheeks turning red. 

"Are you in your first year as well?" a curious Severus asked. 

The girl nodded. "Yes! I cannot wait to go to Hogwarts! I'm Alexis by the way. Alexis Reyson. But you can call me Alex!" she offered a handshake to Lily and Severus who accepted it. "I'm Lily and this is my best friend, Severus."
Severus gave her a small smile.

Severus watched as Lily offered her to sit with them and the 11 year old Alexis accepted. The three started talking. Severus smiled as he realised how adorable his wife was when she was younger. He than realised, as he watched Alexis, her eyes were fixed on his younger self, and she seemed to be blushing.

The scene changed and he was by the lake, standing behind Alex. A few years seemed to pass as he saw Alexis grown taller. She was alone, reading a book and it was evening.

"Watcha doing, Alex?" Sirius Black jumped and sat next to her, with Remus Lupin, James Potter and Peter Pettigrew trailing behind.

"What do you want Black?" Alexis muttered, her eyes still on the book. 

"Aww. Alex." Sirius said as he placed an arm around her. Annoyed, Alexis pushed his hand away. He saw the grin on Sirius's face fade away. 

"Where's Lily?" James asked, his eyes seemed to be searching. 

"She's with Severus." Alexis replied. 

James smirked and rolled her eyes. "With Snivellus?" he muttered and Sirius smirked. Alexis's body tensed up. 

"You're still mad?" Sirius asked softly. 

"What do you think Padfoot?" Alexis muttered angrily. "You could have killed him." 

"It was just a-"

"A joke?" Alexis stared at him. "For goodness sake Sirius! Can you grow up? Leave him alone! What has he ever done to all of you?" James and Peter looked at her, surprised.

Remus flinched. Alexis bit her lip and stood up, pushing James away so she could sit next to Remus, gently placing her hand on his. Remus looked exhausted and ill. "Are you feeling better Remus?" she asked softly. 

"Yeah," Remus gave her a small smile. Alexis grabbed his hand and pulled him up. "Come on Moony. It's been a while since I had a nice conversation with you without being bothered." She linked her arm around his and they walked away.

Sirius stood up and followed them.
"You like him, don't you?" 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Alexis said as they approached the corridors.

"You like Snivellus don't you? That's why you've been defending him all along." Sirius said. 

Alexis frowned and Remus looked at her, uncomfortable being stuck in between. 

"Really Alex? Of all people. Is that why you rejected-" 

"For goodness sake Sirius! I know you're my best friend, but Severus is my friend too! Can we just leave it at that?" She said coldly and glared at Sirius and pulled Remus with her, leaving him behind.

The scene changed again and he was in the girl's dorm. Alexis was on Lily's bed. There was nobody else except for the two girls.

"Really, Alex. I have no idea how you can stand being with Potter and their friends. And Black is your best friend, really?" Lily said as Alexis plopped on Lily's bed. 

"They're alright, actually. They can be total idiots, but they're alright." Alexis let out a laugh. "But I rather hang out with you and Severus though." Alexis said thoughtfully.

"I can see that. You're always there to stop them from hexing Sev." Lily said as she flipped the pages of her Potions book.

"Speaking of which, is he alright? You know," Alexis said slowly.

"He's fine. But what's there anyway?" Lily asked curiously, putting her book on her lap.

Alexis shifted her body, looking uncomfortable. "I don't know. Anyway, James was looking for you." Alexis said quickly, smirking. "I told him he would have a better chance asking Professor McGonagall for a date."

Lily laughed. "Seriously, boys can be so annoying. Thank Merlin for you, Alex!"

"Even Sev?" Alexis asked, grinning.

"Even Sev." Lily stooped smiling. "I don't like him hanging with those Slytherins, all those dark magic." she frowned. Alexis did not reply. She had a far away look in her eyes.

The memories faded and swirled and Severus soon found himself at the lake again. This time, a young Severus was with Alexis. The young Severus was sitting next to Alexis, teaching her potions. 

"So, you'll need the knife to get the juice.." the young Severus was looking down at the book, explaining to her.

Severus took a step forward and stood behind the younger him and turned his head to look at the young Alexis. It seemed to Severus she was not paying attention at all. Her hand was resting on her chin, she was smiling to herself and she was actually gazing at him the whole time, a dreamy look on her face as she watched him scribble on a piece of paper.

The young Severus stopped talking when he realised Alexis was not responding, he looked up and Alexis quickly pretended to read what he wrote, colour rushing to her cheeks. 

"You're not listening are you, Alex?" the young Severus said dryly, sighing and Severus chuckled behind. How could he not have noticed?

"Sorry Sev, the weather is too good to be busy with our books." Alexis said, grinning sheepishly. 

"I don't understand why you need help with potions. And from me? Lily can help you and besides I know for a fact you're pretty good at potions." the young Severus said suspiciously.

"Oh, I'm not as good as you or Lily. And Lily's too busy with Slughorn to teach me." Alexis said dismissively with an airy wave of the hand. 
 
"Speaking of Lily," the young Severus said as he moved closer to Alexis, making her blush, "where is she?" He sounded a little impatient.

Alexis shrugged. "She said she was coming. After meeting Slughorn. She is his favourite student after all."

"She's everyone's favourite." the young Severus said softly.

Alexis narrowed her eyes as she saw the young Severus's expression changed when he talked about Lily.

"You fancy her don't you, Sev?" Alexis asked after a while. 

The young Severus seemed startle. "Wha.. What? Me? Fancy Lily?" 

Alexis nodded, and gave a little smile as she tilted her head to the side slightly, observing him. "Uh huh, you fancy Lily don't you?" she said softly.

The young Severus turned red, and sighed. "Alright, I do. She's perfect." he whispered.

Severus saw Alexis look away from the younger him and picked up a book, with a sad expression on her face. "Yeah, she is." Alexis said softly. 

"Er, Alex could you not-"

Alexis attempted a laugh. "Don't worry Sev. Your secret is safe with me. And no, Potter won't know." Alexis said and he seemed to relax.

The two sat in silence before Lily came towards them, a grin on her face. She squeezed between them. "So, what have you two been talking about?"

Alexis glanced at Severus who had panic flash across his face.

"Oh, Sev was just teaching me Potions." Alexis said quickly.

Lily raised an eyebrow. "But you're good at Potions, Alex." 

Before Alexis could say anything, James Potter and Sirius Black strutted towards them. 

"Lily! Come join us!" James said, giving her a grin. 

"Sod off Potter! I rather hang out with the giant squid." Lily said, rolling her eyes and Alexis and Severus smirked.

"Come on Lexy!" Sirius said as he eyed Severus. Alexis reluctantly said goodbye to Severus and Lily before unhappily trotting behind the boys. 

"What were you doing with him? Why hang out with that greasy hair git?" Sirius said. 

"Severus was teaching me Potions." Alexis said quickly.

"But you're good at Potions." James said, exchanging looks with Sirius.

The scene changed and Severus found himself walking up the staircase to the girl's dorm behind Lily and Alexis. 

"Come on Lil!" Alexis said as she quickened her steps to catch up with the furious looking Lily. "Severus is  really sorry. He doesn't mean anything he said. He was just angry at Potter. He didn't mean to call you mud-" Alexis stopped.

"Why does it matter? It doesn't make any difference. He calls all my type mud blood." Lily said coldly.

"But Lily-" Alexis said.

"Are you on my side? Are you my friend?" Lily asked, her green eyes staring into Alexis's eyes. "Or are you like him? All you purebloods-"

"No Lily! I'm not like that! Trust me." Alexis said quickly. 

"Good. I'm going to bed. Goodnight Alex." Lily said, and ran upstairs without another word. 

Severus soon found himself in the Gryffindor common room. Alexis was with Lily and the Marauders.

"Oh! I have to go. I'll be late for detention." Alexis said. 

James looked at her. "You look happy to serve detention." 

"It's just you Potter." Alexis mumbled as she ran out of the common room that evening.

"Hey Sev." Alexis said to the young Severus who was outside Minevra McGonagall's office. 

Severus mumbled a hello as Minevra ordered them to help Hagrid at the forbidden forest. The two soon found themselves in the company of three foxes as they picked some mushrooms Hagrid had told them to.

Alexis, a little afraid, took a step back. 

The young Severus managed a smile as he watched Alexis. "You don't have to be afraid. They won't harm you unless you scare them." He squatted down and took a piece of branch from the ground  that had strange looking berries growing on it. 

He waved the branch at one of the foxes which twitched it's nose, cautiously walking towards them. Alexis bit her lip and grabbed hold of Severus shoulders but he did not seem to mind. 

Severus smiled as he watched his younger self and Alexis soon playing with the fox, the younger him smiling and laughing after a long time, after his fight with Lily. He remembered he actually had fun as the two laughed and talk, Alexis careful not to mention Lily. He remembered telling her he liked foxes and if he could, he would keep one as a pet.

Severus's thoughts were interrupted when he was brought to another scene. 
He was behind Dumbledore and Alexis was sitted on the chair across him.

"But why? How? I thought he-" Alexis said, frowning and looking confused.

"He has regretted his past actions, Alexis. He is no longer a death eater." 

Alexis looked at Dumbledore, upon hearing the last three words. 

"I am sure, you of all would be kind enough as to accept the new Severus?" 

Alexis licked her lips. "Why me?" 

Dumbledore sighed. "I am well aware of your past...feelings towards Severus." he paused and smiled as he watched Alexis turned red. "I trust the new Severus. And I know you would accept him in the Order, am I correct?" 

Alexis hesitated for a moment before giving a firm nod. "I will, since you trust him."

Dumbledore gave her a smile. "I knew you were always kind hearted. Now, about that Magical Healing teaching position I know the pay is not much but-"

"I'll take it." Alexis interrupted him.

"You will?" Dumbledore said.

"I need a job anyway." Alexis let out a laugh. "And it's my chance to be with Harry, he wants me to take the job too. And it would be interesting to work with Professor McGonagall and Professor Slughorn-"

"Horace Slughorn is no longer the Potions Master. Severus has taken over the job."

Alexis looked at him, and managed an "Oh." 

And if by queue, Severus watched Alexis turn her head as they watch him walk in. Severus walked behind the younger him.

"Severus!" Alexis stood up, looking a little surprised. 

"Alexis?" the younger Severus said, shocked to see her. 

Alexis rushed and put her arms around him, almost knocking them down. She was smiling. Severus smiled as he watched his younger self akwardly put his arms around her. He almost scolded his younger self to give Alexis a proper hug. Dumbledore was smiling wide. 

"Severus, meet the new Magical Healing Professor. I'm sure you know her." Dumbledore said and Alexis broke away from their hug, blushing. 

The scene changed and it was twilight. Alexis was strolling down the corridor with Dumbledore. 

"Have you ever told him?" Dumbledore said.

"No." Alexis ran her hand through her hair. "I.. I can't." I know he's still in love with Lily." her voice dropped to a whisper. "And I'm not Lily." 

"What about you, Alexis? Are you still?"

Alexis looked at him. "If you had told me earlier, that he was here, I would have probably not taken this job." she let out a low laugh.

"I know for a fact that he does have feelings for you, Alexis. It's just that the poor man thinks he's too worthless for you." Dumbledore said as he brought her to a deserted classroom. 

Alexis cautiously followed behind Dumbledore. There was something tall covered with a sheet. Alexis looked at it, curious and Dumbledore removed the sheet, revealing a mirror and stood beside it.

Alexis stepped forward, not keeping her eyes of the mirror. Severus realised she was looking at the Mirror Of Erised.

Alexis let out a gasp. The curious Severus stood beside her, and he saw Harry next to her, Lily and James at where he was standing. Two figures came out. Remus placing his hand on her left shoulder and Sirius with his famous grin on her other shoulder. After a few seconds, their images blurred. 

"Don't go!" Severus heard Alexis whisper. The images swirled and this time, an old man and lady stood near her. "Mum? Dad?" she whispered and the old couple smiled and nodded.

 Alexis saw herself holding a child in her arms and a man clad in black came behind her and placed his arms around her waist, smiling. Severus realised the man was an image of him. He was one of her deepest desire. 

Alexis closed her eyes and when she opened them again, the images were gone. She turned to Dumbledore, her eyes filled with tears. "Sev.. Severus." was all Alexis could say.

The next few scenes were quick. He Sirius giving his blessing to her marriage with Severus. He saw their first kiss. He saw him proposing to her. He saw her running to tell Dumbledore, a wide grin on her face. He saw their wedding day. He saw her watching him sleep, smiling. 

The images became dark and Severus lifted his head, he felt a tear trickle down his cheek. He realised that all this while,when he was trying to get Lily's attention, a certain Alexis was trying to get his. She had loved him all her life even though she knew he loved Lily. 

Severus turned to Dumbledore. "Why didn't I see all these during the Occlumency lessons?"

Dumbledore sighed and sat on his chair. "I don't know." he admitted. "Sometimes, the mind is a very mysterious thing."

"So you knew? All these while?" 

"I only suspected, when her patronus was a fox."  

Severus was confused when Dumbledore said that but it soon dawned on him. That detention, when she got to be with him and the foxes. Her patronus. It all made sense. 

"Go to her." Dumbledore said, giving him a kind smile. Severus nodded and ran back to the hospital wing to be by Alexis's side.