Status: Writing in a notebook, so this gets posted when I get around to typing and editing. I will try to update at least once a week.

Sometimes Silence

One.

It had been a chilly day, and an even colder night. The snow fell gently, it was the first snow of the year. It was also the night of Christmas Mass at Shrine of the Little Flower. The altar was laid out neatly, and the cathedral was packed with the old and the young. Gabriella sat in one of the front pews with her parents. Her brother did not attend, he was working the night shift at his restaurant.

"We will now gather for communion," as it was said, a young man entered the cathedral and sat on the opposite side of the Fuentes family.

"Mama, I'm going to use the bathroom. You go ahead and receive without me."

Gabriella's mother Margaretta nodded, and stood with Eduardo, her father. Gabriella walked swiftly to the rest room, she did not want to miss her chance to receive the body and blood of Christ.

The young man who entered mass late prays, and stands in line for communion. Nobody notices the gun he raises, then the priest is on the floor. The blood from his head wound mixes with the spilled wine, and seeps into the cracks of the wooden floor. The revolver has a silencer, nobody hears the next shot, but Margaretta Fuentes has joined the priest on the floor.

Then, the screaming started. The cathedral was in chaos. It seemed as if only a few seconds had passed when the room was clear of a living soul. Fourteen people remained, bleeding on the floor.

Gabriella walks in on the massacre, not noticing the man in dark clothing leaning against the large crucifix. Her hand covers her mouth and nose, the coppery blood smell has already become overwhelming. Looking down, she discovers that she is standing above the corpse of her mother. She cries out, and drops to her knees. The body next to her eminates a rattling breath. It is her father, Eduardo.

"Papa.." Gabriella breathes out, and searches for a place to hold him.

The man near the crucifix has not moved. Gabriella grasps at her father, his blood soaking into her dress.

"Oh God," she cries out, "God save us."

Out of her tear-filled eyes, she saw the man. He still held his gun in his hand, and raised the gun towards Gabriella. His hand was shaking. She shook her head, she could not make words form.

Sirens could be heard from the streets outside of the church, footsteps were heard running around in the hallways outside of the cathedral. Inside of the cathedral, it was silent.

Gabriella's tears fell quickly, she stared at the young man, she was willing her body to run but it would not move. The man puts a finger to his lips, a silent treaty between the two. If she stayed silent, she would not be hurt. He raises the gun to his temple. In less than a second, fragments of the mans skull and his brain were scattered across the wall behind him.

His body slumped against the crucifix, and slid slowly to the ground as Gabriella watched with horrified eyes. She hears her father breathe in, and out. She looks down into his eyes, his throat makes a gurgling sound, and blood is forced out of his mouth. Gabriella cries silently above him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have decided to get back into writing. This is my first original fiction. Let me know what you think, honestly. Comments=encouragement=updates.

Oli.