So Die Alone

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Image

The morning sky was a clear baby blue, only a few clouds gliding by. The temperature was cool, but not cold enough to warrant a jacket or a sweater. The parking lot was packed, some grocery shopping at Safeway, others visiting the bordering stores, but most of the people here were attending Congress on your Corner, an event where the constituents of District 8 could meet and greet with their Representative. It’s something Rep. Gabrielle Giffords held quite often so she could know the people she represented on a deeper, more intimate level.

It was my first time going; I’ve never really been into politics, but with all the changes that have been happening I wanted to ask Rep. Giffords a few questions. I’d just turned eighteen a few months ago, and I wanted to be prepared if I had to make any tough decisions when my vote was needed.

The line to talk with Rep. Giffords was long, but luckily I was close to the front. I checked my watch, relieved when I saw it was only a little after 10:25. I had to be at work in an hour, but I wanted to make sure I got to speak with Rep. Giffords.

The line moved forward, allowing another person to greet our Representative. I started to get nervous, my palms growing sweaty the closer I got to her. What if I asked the wrong question? What if I offended her? Gah, I’d probably trip the moment I walked up to her. My mind was full of these questions when the most adorable laugh caught my attention.

Right in front of me was a young girl. I could tell she was excited, practically bouncing up and down. She was talking animatedly with an older woman, a huge smiled stretch across her face. Her brunette hair was pulled back from her face in a pretty style and her dark brown eyes shone with an innocence that made me smile and when she turned to look at me I felt my nervousness vanish.

“Hi! I’m Christina!”

I chuckled at her thrilled attitude, “Hello, I’m Chailyn.”

“Are you here to talk to Gabrielle Giffords?”

I nodded, “Yes, I figured I should ask her a few questions since I’ll be voting soon.”

Christina nodded, “I’m not old enough to vote yet, I’m only nine, but my class at school just voted me into our student council and I wanted to talk to Gabrielle to make sure I can represent them better.”

I was shocked. What nine year old thinks about things like politics and representing others? I also felt guilty. This young girl was thinking about things that’ll help her future and all I have on my mind is if I can walk like a normal person.

“You must really love politics.”

Christina nodded, “I like to help people. I want to make the world a better place.”

“That’s very mature.”

Christina’s smile grew, “Yeah, people always tell me I’m really mature.”

The line moved again, so Christina turned around, sending me one final smile. We were almost there, so close to greeting our Representative, when the chaos started. Sharp staccato sounds pierced the air, sounds that I’d only heard in action movies. People were screaming and running around, some knocking others over and covering them.

I didn’t have time to respond before a burning started in my abdomen. The burning spread throughout my body while my skin felt warm and clammy. My fingers slowly pressed against the burn and when I lifted them they were covered in a red liquid. My breathing wavered and gasping sounds came from my throat as I sank to my knees. The burning increased into an excruciating pain, and my chest tightened. My eyes grew heavy as I fell forward against the asphalt. The last thing I remembered seeing before darkness took me was Christina lying still beside me, her once bright eyes now dull and faded.