Status: Finished

This Gray Weather Will Fade

The New Hope

In a way, she knew he was mocking her. All that she tried to do for this city was being completely trampled on by a man who didn’t even know what he wanted in the first place, but to ruin what little hope was left. What frightened her the most as she was pressed up against the hard stone wall of the sewage tunnels, was the fact that she was indeed frightened. Never once in her entire career had she been so afraid of what a person might do until now. Maybe it was because he was so unpredictable, and unlike anyone she had ever seen before. It was then she realized, she had no idea what she had gotten herself into. Nonetheless, she would not break.

He kept his dark eyes on her, trying to read for any sign of fear. But, all who knew her would say that you could never get an emotion just by looking at her face, or by her tone. She was stubborn and cunning, and always held the dirtiest tactics up her sleeve, using them only when crucial.

He squinted his eyes at her, slowly pulling out a pocket knife that glistened just in the slightest. It was dull, she could tell, used undoubtedly for the countless innocent civilians he murdered for reasons no one knew. He pressed it lightly against her face, and she felt the cold steel as he traced it back and forth over her lips.

He flickered his eyes down to her jacket pocket and back to her eyes. With the knife in one hand and her neck clenched in the other, he used the tip to lift her jacket and read her badge on the inside. He tilted his head down and gave her an approved look.

“Nora Gray.” He repeated her name, and she narrowed her eyes at the clown, the loud ringing from the repetitive blasts finally subsiding in her head. “Welcome to Gotham.” He started to smile, then giggle before he instantly stopped and looked down the tunnel on his left.

Holding Nora now with both fists, the Joker leaned back slightly, trying to get a better look at whatever he was aware was down there. Nora, however, wasn’t concerned with what was down the dark tunnel, but kept focus on his position. As he leaned back a bit farther, Nora brought her knee up with whatever strength was left in her that wasn’t taken from the explosions.

The Joker dropped her, laughing hysterically as he bent over. Nora fell to her knees in the water, landing oddly on her left arm, and glancing up at the Joker as he continued laughing.

“I’ve said this before,” He said, giggling a bit in between, “And I hold true to it.” The Joker advanced towards Nora, “I like a little fight in beautiful women.”

He reached out to grab her wrists, but Nora closed her eyes when something hit the Joker unexpectantly, making him fly into the other wall in a crumpled heap still laughing.

“I knew you weren’t gone.” The Joker said, catching his breath and looking up at the dark figure who thankfully arrived at the exact time Nora needed him most.

Nora watched as the Batman grabbed the Joker forcefully by his purple coat collar, slamming him against the wall just as the Joker had done to her. “You’re going back to your padded cell.” He growled.

“I’m still waiting for you to join me.” The Joker laughed, gripping onto the Batman’s wrists, trying to find a way to catch his breath.

Splashes and yells were heard now back through the tunnels leading to City Hall, and Nora peered into the darkness seeing lights from officers flares coming closer and closer, and she knew Batman needed to get out of there quickly before anyone saw him.

“Let’s finish this another time.” The Joker nodded frantically, suddenly pulling out another trigger from his pocket and pressing it, making another blast come from around the corner. As soon as everything cleared up, Nora found that she was alone, and the Joker and the Batman had disappeared.

“Nora!” Gordon yelled, running to her side and helping her up. She paid no attention as she searched through the rumbled mess for any sign of Batman. “Are you alright?”

Nora turned her attention back to the Commissioner and nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine.” Gordon looked at her worried and unsure, making her wrap her arm around his neck for support.

“Let’s get you checked out.” He said, leading her back up and out to an ambulance already waiting. As Nora sat, unpreturbed by what had just happened, or so she acted as such, Gordon paced in front of her, obviously feeling guilty for his outburst towards her earlier that evening.

“Nora, I’m sorry. I don’t know what would’ve happened if you hadn’t gone to find that body.” Gordon told her.

She blinked and looked up at him, speaking in her famous tone. “It wouldn’t have gone the way he planned.”

Gordon took a step forward, “What do you mean?”

“He planned for me to find the body, to find him in the sewer, and to find out who I was. It was never a setup for anyone else but me. ” Nora stared out in the distance, thinking everything over while Gordon put his hands on his hips in disbelief. “Everyone was right. He was after me the whole time.”

Gordon placed a hand on her shoulder, “It’ll be alright. We’ll figure everything out.” He said in a whisper, which didn’t reassure her in the least, and Gordon knew it. As he dropped his hand from her shoulder, Gordon saw the press being held back by the security and walked over to get the whole thing over with before it became overwhelming.

“Listen up because this is all I’m going to say,” Gordon started, making the press become completely silent to listen to what he had to say. “You all know very well who’s responsible for this mess. But thanks to an officer in my unit, a lot of people’s lives were saved. I want everyone to know that the Joker will fail, because Nora Gray is unlike any officer I’ve ever seen. She’s the new hope we have to look forward to, and I want you all to be aware of how lucky you are. Now go home, people don’t need to see constant anguish on the news every day.” He told them, turning and walking away ignoring the shouts and questions he was receiving regardless.

“You just gave him what he wanted.” The masked figure came from inside an alley, emerging ever so slightly as to not draw attention to himself.

“What? I was just giving Nora the attention she deserves.” Gordon shook his head in ignorance.

“The Joker wanted to know who the new hero was. He created tests to give people a face, you gave them the name.”

“But, he already knew-”

“You made it official.”

-

Nora switched off the television screen, not wanting to hear her name on the news whether it was praise or not. She sighed, wondering what she was going to do next about everything that had happened, and she sat in wonder of what the Joker was planning to do about her.

Nora got up slowly, stepping over her dogs and rubbing a hand through her long auburn hair, ready to go to bed. She moved to shut off the lamp, but stopped once she heard the slightest noise behind her.

“How did you get in here?” She asked before turning around, knowing fully who it was.

“He’s after you.” He growled in a whisper, standing by the large windows leading to the balcony.

Nora put her hands on her hips and nodded, “I know.” She walked towards him, and opened the sliding door stepping onto the balcony. He soon followed, standing next to her. “What do you think is going to happen?” She asked.

Batman climbed onto the top of the railing tracing the balcony and stood in the corner by the fire escape, “I don’t know.”

“I know where he is.” She admitted, turning to face him with one hand resting on the railing. “I’ve been debating who I should tell, or what I should do.”

He crouched down ready to jump from the ledge, “Don’t go alone.” He told her. But just as he left her, he knew she wouldn’t listen, and he knew there was no holding her back.

-

He watched the video recordings from outside over and over again, rewinding it and fast forwarding it to his favorite parts. Thanks to well picked men, they had caught something that the Joker would have never guessed to be true, that is until he saw it for himself in the tunnels.

“The Bat is back.” He smiled, “And it looks like we know exactly how to get to him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh goodness, we are on fire with these updates lately.