Status: Finished

This Gray Weather Will Fade

Undercover

Curled hair.

Nora sat in the uncomfortable office chair in the lobby, her eyes scanning the room that surrounded her. The white walls weren’t as bright as she thought they would be under these fluorescent lights. Adding to the fact there were professional paintings hanging in a neat arrangement, she felt at ease.

Black scarf.

She breathed heavily, when she decided to make this daring move was oblivious to her, as well as her reasoning. It was just another spark that was lit in her head and she just had to go for it. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

White dress.

No, she was right where she needed to be. Her instincts led her here for a reason, and going back now was inconceivable.

Red satchel.

Nora closed her eyes with ease, wondering if she’d ever be able to get some sleep for just one night. She couldn’t remember the last time she was going to such great heights to figure out a plan. It was stressful, but exciting as hell.

Black flats.

Damn you Batman. You’ll be the end of me.

“Miss Gray?” Nora immediately opened her eyes at the call of her name, tilting her head back upright and locking eyes with the one who identified her.

His smile would have made anyone have a better day. “I’m Lucius Fox, pleased to meet you.” The dark man walked over, his smile still glowing from his freckled face.

Nora stood up and returned the welcome, shaking the hand he offered and replying the same, “Pleased to meet you too.”

“Why don’t you come into my office and we’ll get started?” He turned his body towards his clear glass room, opening the door for her and leading her inside. Nora stood behind the chair that was set out for her and stared at the skyline of Gotham, the view that made her wonder why anything so beautiful could be filled with so much destruction.

Fox stood in front of his chair, gesturing politely for her to sit down. As Nora sat, Lucius did so as well, pulling a file from his drawer and opening it before he folded his hands over the papers and smiled at her again.

“Well Miss Gray, what can I do for you?” He asked.

“I’m here to apply for the receptionist opening.” She replied without blinking. Nora had gone over everything from start to finish multiple times, there was nothing that would or could go against her plan.

Fox nodded lightly, glancing down at the papers. “And you think you’re the best replacement?”

Nora laughed slightly, “It’s not a difficult job.”

Fox glanced up at her, his face suddenly turned serious. “You have no experience. How could you possibly know?”

“Answering phone calls and writing down messages isn’t something you need experience for Mr Fox.”

“Then why should I hire you? If this job is so easy I could hire anyone.” He stated.

Nora shrugged, “You’re right. But, I’m here, now, and you have no one else.”

Fox smiled, “Good answer.” Nora showed a glint of a smile, not wanting to make him feel she was too proud. Nora wasn’t proud. She always gave her answer that reflected on who she was as a person, whether too blunt or entirely correct.

“However, you already have a career don’t you?” Fox mentioned, making Nora’s heart freeze for a split second. “We have a hard time with trust around this city Miss Gray, a clear and thorough background check is required, I’m sure you agree.”

Nora smirked, how could she have underestimated the man that was working for the Batman? “Yes sir. I’ve already discussed with Commissioner Gordon I would be on call only when a situation from the Joker came up.”

Lie.

Fox took off his glasses, looking at her with a questionable glint hidden deep within his eyes, Nora however, could spot this in an instant.

“How is it a young officer like yourself ends up putting her real career aside and settling for a job answering phone calls all day?” He asked seriously.

Nora had no answer, only the truth, which she knew she would have to explain before she had stepped into the office.

“Is there something you want to tell me Miss Gray?” Lucius asked, clearly concerned about what her exact reasons were.

Nora blinked and looked at the edge of his desk in thought, carefully picking through each of her words so as not to scare him off and call security before she had the chance to explain.

“Miss Gray?” Fox asked again, tilting his head to meet her eyes.

Nora finally sat up straight, putting her bag on the floor beside her and staring at Fox directly in his eyes. “Sir, if I tell you, you must promise me one thing.” Fox nodded for her to continue. “You must let me explain fully before you make a decision.”

“Go on.” He replied, agreeing to her terms.

“I am not looking for ransom, I am not here to blackmail him, or turn him in.” Nora began.

“Who?”

Nora put up her hand and continued. “I’m not here to threaten him, or jeopardize his identity in any means. I assure you no one, not even Commissioner Gordon knows I have researched and have made an identification. My purpose, sir, is just as you stated before. There is a hard time trusting people in this city, and that’s what I want to know.”

Mr. Fox sat with his glasses in his hand resting on the desk and the other on his forehead, his stare not leaving her for one second. “And how do you expect me to believe you?”

Nora smirked, “By telling you the same thing I told the hero when he asked me that same question. Read my file.”

“I can assure Miss Gray, you can trust him with your life.”

Nora nodded, “Yes I understand that. But I must find that out for myself. Now, even if you don’t fully understand my reasoning and you decide not to hire me, I’d understand completely. It’s just as I said before, I’m not here for anything but the truth.” Nora stopped for a moment, reading Lucius’ face to try and detect what he was thinking.

She continued, “But, clearly if I’ve gone to this extent to find him and keep an eye on him just for my own personal security, and adding the fact that he obviously still works with the Commissioner, I mean what I say. I haven’t been in this city long enough to already be a traitor.”

Nora finalized her speech, giving the most confident yet honest look she could obtain from her inner being, wanting it to read on her face she wasn’t lying. She waited, waited for Fox to give her any type of sign that would give her an answer, but he looked just as he had through her entire ultimatum.

There was no movement, no response, no answer from him as Nora sat and waited. Inside, she sulked in defeat and disappointment. She had come this far and now had to turn around and find a different direction to come at.

She smiled and nodded at Lucius Fox, picking up her bag and reaching for the handle of the clear glass door.

“Miss Gray.” Nora turned around to face Fox now standing up and buttoning his jacket. “Welcome to Wayne Enterprises.”

Nora sighed with relief inside, and smiled genuinely at the man who had taken a leap for her when he didn’t have to. “Thank you.” She mumbled, letting go of the handle and standing in front of his desk again.

“There are some things you need to know first. For obvious reasons, I don’t openly tell every new employee about our security settings in the Applied Sciences Department, or how they will be able to get through them with the access codes.”

Nora was taken aback, “No, sir, you don’t have to...”

“There are very few people that I have faith in Miss Gray. There’s something about you that tells me you’re going to change this city, and I would regret being the one who stood in your way when you tried to do it.”

Nora nodded, never expecting this much assurance from someone she had just met. “Thank you.”

Fox smiled again, “Therefore, you will be added on the cleared security list. I’ll somehow find a way to extend the title of your job so it seems relevant.” Mr. Fox’s gaze suddenly shifted towards the door, and Nora followed it, turning around and coming face to face with the man she had been waiting to meet this whole time.

“Ah, Bruce. This is Nora Gray, our new receptionist and computer technician.” Fox smiled again, not showing a single doubt or unusual tone in his own false statement.

Nora turned fully, getting the full effect of being in Bruce Wayne’s presence. Just as if he was in his Batman suit, he towered over her small frame, but not as much. His dark hair was neatly combed back, and Nora got her first real look into the deep chocolate brown eyes of the man who was the real hero of this city.

Just as she expected, Bruce acted like he had never seen her before, and held out a hand for her to shake. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Nora took it, and responded, “Pleasure.” Playing along to keep him from knowing. That was her one thing she couldn’t let happen, Bruce could not know Nora knew who he was.

“Bruce, if you don’t mind I’d like to finish up with Miss Gray and then we’ll talk.” Fox said.

Bruce smiled, “Not at all, I’ll just wait outside.” He turned to Nora at the last moment, “I’ll see you around Miss Gray.” And he walked out.

Lucius turned back to Nora and she spoke, “Sir, if you don’t mind, I have one more request to ask.”

“Yes?” He asked, listening intently.

“You can not tell him I know.” She said in a low whisper.

“I never intended to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Questions? Opinions? Let me know what you think!