Status: Finished

This Gray Weather Will Fade

The Plan (c)

“What do you mean he’s after me?” Nora stared at Mark, surprised by what he told her, but not showing the slightest bit in her features.

Mark stared down at the table again, tears falling down his cheeks, and he was still shaking. “He said he was going to do exactly what he did last time,” He stuttered. “That h-he needed to figure out who was the new hero. So that, he could show e-everyone that they could break down and f-fall.”

“You mean Harvey Dent?” Nora stood up and walked to the edge of the table, glancing up at the glass across the room, knowing Gordon was looking right at her.

Mark nodded, “Something like it, I guess. He didn’t really tell us what he was going to do. He never does. But I guess he told me this so it could be known to you.”

“But Harvey Dent was the D.A., therefore, wouldn’t the Joker be looking for someone in a higher position, someone who actually mattered?” Nora asked, shaking her head in bewilderment.

Mark shrugged, “Maybe you’re right, but to me, it would be someone who’s actually changing things around here, making things better. All he wants is the chaos to go on, make fear be permanent in people’s minds, hit them where it would make a difference.” Then, Mark looked up fearfully at Nora, and then she understood why he was shaking and crying. Nora took a quick glance at the glass, then back down.

-

“What did she look at you for?” Ramirez asked, looking at Gordon.

Gordon shook his head, “She must know something we don’t.”

-

“Why?” Nora asked, knowing he knew exactly what she meant.

“He caught me when I was at the bottom, threatened my family..I didn’t have a choice.” He answered, now in hysterics.

“Can I stop it?” She asked, stepping back towards the door.

Mark shook his head violently, “No, but tell my family I love them.”

-

Then, Gordon realized what was happening, all in an instance, he saw Nora sprint for the door and Gordon yelled at everyone to get down. The explosion hit just as Nora had gotten behind the door, flinging her backwards into the wall, making her collapse onto the floor. She looked up through her disheveled hair, Mark was dead.

“GRAY!” She heard Gordon yell, and she saw him run over to her and help her up.

“I’m fine.” She stood up, brushing herself off while still staring at where Mark once was. “Damn.” She said, walking away from Gordon. “I’m not cleaning him up.” Putting her arms up as she left him.

Gordon caught up with her, “Nora, we have to put you somewhere safe.”

Nora whipped around, stopping dead in her tracks. “He blew himself up. How is the Joker even going to know who I am? And what if Gellar was wrong? He could be after someone else.”

Gordon sighed and nodded, “Maybe.” He shrugged. “But what if you’re wrong?”

Nora stopped being defensive and actually thought of that possibility. “What are we supposed to do?”

Gordon shook his head, “I have never known the answer to that question when it comes to the Joker.” He blinked, “But maybe someone could help us.” Gordon nodded his head towards his office, walking towards it with Nora following behind and walking around the rubble surrounding the floor.

Nora rolled her eyes once the door was closed, “Did you ever think bringing him into this would make matters worse?”

“I don’t think it would since no one knows we’re working with him.” Gordon responded.

“But they can find out once they hear stories of him returning.” She pointed out.

“They won’t.” He told her.

Nora scoffed at his ignorance, “You really don’t think someone out there doesn’t know? Someone in this unit who happens to be working to the Joker?”

Gordon looked up at Nora with horror in his eyes, “Again?”

Nora shrugged, “It’s happened before. And the officers from that past situation are still here. You don’t think the Joker can get them again?”

“It didn’t even cross my mind..” Gordon ran a hand through his hair, then looked down at his watch overwhelmed with the terrible possibilities that Nora had put in his mind that could most likely be true. “Let’s go.”

Seeing him grab his coat, Nora understood what he meant. She followed him out of the office, and they both slipped past everyone without notice, heading for the door that lead to the top of the building.

Climbing the last bit of stairs, Gordon opened the door and lead Nora outside. It was dark out now, and the lights of the city surrounded them. When Nora took her first step onto the concrete, she saw the slightest silhouette in the darkest part of the area. She crossed her arms, helping block the cold from reaching her, still keeping her eyes locked on him.

Finally, he stepped into the light, and Nora noticed he was staring at her as well. Not even acknowledging, or noticing for that matter what was going on between the two, Gordon put his hands on his pockets and said, “We’ve got a problem.”

-

“La ta ta ta ta..” The Joker danced and laughed in front of the television screen, all eyes of his men were on him. He held a small device in the tips of his fingers, and a wire lead from it to his ear. He stopped and smiled once he noticed everyone staring at him.

“What are you listening to boss?” One of them asked, which made him roar into laughter.

“My favorite song!” He spun over to them, surrounding a table, and put the small device in the middle for them to admire. It was a recorder, and he unplugged the headpiece from it and played it again.

It was a conversation between Gellar and an unknown person to them, followed by an explosion. The men looked up at him, who was trying to control his obnoxious laughter for the twelfth time in the last hour.

“What does it mean?” One of them asked.

“It means we have an, uh, idea of who will be the main event for Gotham.” He smiled.

“How are you going to find out who that woman is?”

Joker snatched the recorder from the table and walked away from them backwards with the permanent grin on his face and answered, “More tests.”