Even If No One Believes Us

one.

I sighed as the car pulled up into the drive way. My ear plugs seemed like they were permanently glued into my ear after the ten hour car drive but then I guess them being stuck my ear drums was better then listening to my parents sing oldies for ten hours.

It was a win-win situation for both my ears and my mind.

I glanced up at the house that I would be living in for the remainder of my terrible teenage years. I ignored the music in my ears and refused to unplug my headphones in fear that if I did, my ears would fall off with them or some crazy shit like that.

There was a sign that was pushed deep into the earth, stating that the house was sold, which was completely unnecessary considering there was a huge moving van in front of the dirty house. It was so obvious that a blind monkey could see it. No offense to any blind monkeys that would be reading this.

From the window, I could already tell that I didn’t want to be at this stupid house. I looked over to the front seat to see my parents staring at me with big stupid grins on their faces.

“Get those stupid grins off your faces, Rents. I hate this house, take me back to Cleveland, Ohio where all my friends are and my boyfriend is, who by the way I totally want to have sex with right now, is currently residing.”

No, I’m totally kidding. I could never say that to my parents. They were too sweet for me to totally bitch them out like the crazy bitch that I am. So, instead I said,

“Do we really have to live here? I miss my friends, Mom,” I made my voice sweet and sad sounding so maybe they would turn the car around and suddenly decide that they were the crazy freaks that they are and take me back to Ohio. “I miss my bed.”

“Oh, Honey,” she whispered and reached back to touch my cheek as my dad got out of the car and began to pay the movers. “I know you miss them but you can call them and you have a computer and you can Instantly Aim at them, or whatever it is that you call it.”

“It’s called Instant Message, Mom. And the program is called A.I.M not Aim as in aim for the stars.”

“Of course it is, Honey.” She smiled and patted me on the head, which by the way I hate when she does that, and opened her own car door and began to help my brother and father drag our luggage into the new home.

I groaned to myself as I realized that she just totally ignored what I had just told her and now she would be forever calling Instant Messaging ‘Instantly Aiming’ for the rest of her old person life.

Deciding to be a good sport, I dragged myself out of the car pouting.

Hey, who said being a good sport meant that I couldn’t pout while being one?

I growled at the newly cold weather as the wind whipped around my face, throwing every strand of my hair in a different direction. I let out a loud scream and caused my entire family to come rushing out of the ugly new house to see if I was alright, only to be greeted with me standing there glaring at them.

“Get over yourself, Lilly,” my brother, Adam, growled as he tugged on the dresser, trying to help the movers which clearly did not need a seventeen year olds help. “We moved. So what? It’s no big deal, Drama-o-matic.”

“Adam! Be nice to your sister!”

I glanced over at my mom and decided that sometimes she could be cool. Then realized she was standing there in about five bazillion sweaters, a scarf, boots, 500 pairs of socks and to top it off, a hat.

I shook my head, making my black hair re-shape into it’s normal position and wrapped my arms around myself to keep the warmth in. I looked up at the new house and took in its…pinkness.

Seriously, it was bright pink.

The shutters were green, too.

The door, to make it worse, was purple.

“Who lived in here, a clown?” I yelled to no one in particular.

“No,” a deep voice came from behind me. “A happy couple who died in a car crash before they had a chance to re-paint it, but I’m glad you think they are clowns. You know, it’s really impolite to trash a dead couple.”

I twirled around quickly and nearly tripped on my sandals but caught myself before the boy had a chance to. I went to glare at him, before my eyes softened for his boyish features. As I took in the boy in front of me; brown hair, dirt-colored eyes, skinny but strong looking, I decided that I hated him.

Who was he to be telling me that I was impolite? He didn’t even know me. How was I supposed to know that the couple who lived here before my family moved in had died?

“Well, excuse me, but I didn’t know that.”

“Of course you didn’t. Even though the real estate agent that sold you the house would have told your family before you even bought it,” his lips curled into a smile as he looked up and down at my tank top and shorts and how obvious it was that I was freezing my ass off. “Welcome to Rhode Island.”

His back was turned to me before I even had a chance to reply and he began walking across the street, but before he reached the side walk he turned around and smiled, “Oh, and just so you know, I wouldn’t have caught you anyways.”

I stood there with my mouth wide and watched him walk away and disappear into the crème colored house across from mine and I vaguely heard my parents in the distance talking about how we would re-paint the house tomorrow.

“Stop standing there with your mouth open like that, a bug will fly in.” My dad patted me on the shoulder then thrust a box into my empty hands.

As I stood there in the yard shaking, I watched the house across the street from ours where the boy had disappeared into. As I stood their watching I felt like a major creeper so I decided to turn around, but before I did the boy poked his head out from behind a curtain and winked.

A small growl came out from behind my lips, “fucker,” I whispered and quickly spun around on my heel and began to quickly retreat into my new home to claim a room before my brother got the good one or stole it for the sole purpose of trying to make his muscles look bigger.

Since when did he even have muscles in the first place?

If he did, they must be freaking imaginary.