Even If No One Believes Us

seven.

Ryan smirked, crossing his arms across his chest. He was wearing sunglasses over his eyes, which he slowly pushed down against the bridge of his nose. “Hello.”

I winced a bit as I saw a small blue ring around his eye.

“Mom, I’ll see you later.”

It was rude and quick, but I needed to talk to Rye-Bread and at least tell him I was sorry. No matter how wrong it was to read my stupid diary, he didn’t deserve to be attacked like that.

I dragged Ryan across the mall to a small table set with two chairs. The intricate design was all I focused on for awhile, as he sat and stared at me. My hair fell in front of my face and he made sure not to blink as he stood his ground.

“Stop, you look like a stampede of elephants staring at me like that.”

He chuckled a bit, “You know, you’re the one who punched me in the face.”

“I really am sorry about that.” My eyes lifted up to his, and even though he didn’t smile, or even move, I could see through his sunglasses that somewhere inside of him he was smiling.

It was weird to be sitting here with him like this, having a nice conversation and not thinking about the fact that Kyle had still not called me back or messaged me on face book.

“I’m just really tense.” my words slipped before I knew I had a chance to stop them. I wasn’t one to share my feelings and to share them with the semi ass hole in front of me wasn’t something I did either.

He stood up and walked over to the small star bucks near the table and pointed at something in the glass case. He paid and sat a brownie in the middle of us and cut it in fourths, handing me a small squared off piece of chocolaty goodness. He leaned back, waiting for me to continue.

“My boyfriend back home hasn’t called me or texted me or even messaged me on face book. The other day I called and heard his voice over at my best friends house and I don’t know, I just don’t know why he hasn’t called me.”

He nodded a bit and tapped his fingers on the glass table top. “Call him?” it was a simple explanation but it seemed so hard to do. I had called him so many times before and he had yet to answer or call back. He reached into his pocket and handed me his cell phone, typing in *67 and passing it over to me. “Dial.”

The phone rang twice and I finally heard the voice I had been waiting to hear. “Yellow?” I also heard a giggle in the background. “Kyle, baby, come back to bed.”

“Kyle…” my voice cracked a bit and the voice in the background stopped and I heard a sharp, ‘shit’ coming from Megan. Ryan looked up at me when my voice cracked. A piece of brownie hung slightly on the edge of his mouth.

“Lilly, I can explain.”

The phone clicked and I slid it back to Ryan, who took it from me slowly and watched as I stood up and walked away.

“Wait, Lilly, what happened?” he followed behind me quickilly as I picked up speedd, running through the mall before he caught me against his chest. Tears stung my eyes and he took his sunglasses off of his face and put them on my head gently, turning me towards him and hugging me. “What happened?”

I hit his chest hard but he didn’t seem effected. I guess that my crying punch was weaker then my pissed off punch and my response came out in sniffles. “He…she…they were…”

He nodded and tightened his grip, “It’s okay.”

I cried into his chest, his sunglasses pressing into my eyes slightly but I didn’t care. I hated Kyle and I hated the fact that he went and fucked my best friend.

I shivered a bit when the door open and a slight summer breeze hit my body. Ryan looked at me and pulled me away from his chest for a moment, long enough to take his jacket off and wrap it around my shoulders.

I looked up at him and he brushed his hand across my cheek, pushing my hair behind my ears and he smiled at me, his hand resting on my cheek. It was a simple gesture but from our previous state of anger towards each other, it was more then simple to me.

“Thank you, Ryan…”

He nodded and took my hand in his and told me to call my mom and tell her that we were going on a binge and not to worry, that he’d have me home soon and he pulled me out of the mall quickly and led me to his car.

“Where are we going?” I slammed his passenger door shut, wrapped up in his sweatshirt that was too big for me and his sunglasses that looked huge on my face and looked at him in the drivers seat

“Shut up”