Even If No One Believes Us

eight.

My phone had been ringing over and over again for the past hour and a half, but I was enjoying the light crash of the waves in front of Ryan and I.

I don't know how long we drove for and at the moment, I didn't even know what state we were in. All I knew was that it was dark outside and the nearest beach that Ryan pulled up to was the closest thing I've ever seen that resembles perfection.

"Want me to answer it for you?"

Since we had arrived, Ryan hadn't spoken one word. He let me sit and think. He let me cry. He let me laugh to myself as I realized that I should have seen it coming. When he finally did speak, his voice wasn't as sweet as I had heard before when he consoled me at the mall. My reasoning was that he the fact that someone had hurt me, other then him, annoyed him.

"No," my voice was deeper, slightly choppy. I cleared my voice a bit and repeated. "No, that's okay. He'll stop calling eventually."

He laughed a little, "Oh, I know. They all do. I just wanted to tell him how much of an asshole he is and that if he keeps calling I'll castrate him and feed his miniature toy to the lions."

"He is small..."

"I can't even believe you just justified that with a response...especially that one..."

Our eyes connected and the surprised but slightly amused and flustered look on Ryan's' face made a small giggle catch in my throat, that turned into a full laugh. Ryan laughed with me as I let my emotions out. The only problem was that my laughter turned to tears but instead of laughing more his hands found there way around my body and he closed the space between us. He held me which almost immediately made the tears halt, for the moment at least.

"I can't cry when you're holding me like that."

"I know. It always works."

"Well, Ryan, are you telling me that I'm like other girls?"

"Yes."

"You're mistaken, would another girl do this?" I paused for a moment and pushed him away, standing up and feeling the sand squeeze between my toes. I threw his sweatshirt in his face and his sunglasses on his lap and jumped into the dark ocean water in front of us that was just previously nipping at our toes.

He laughed loudly and watched as I shivered. He stood up and shook his head. "Well...considering it's a summer night and it's cold out here from the wind...no, they wouldn't."

"Fuck."

My clothes clung to my skin and my hair stuck to my face as I shivered and pulled myself out of the ocean. The water was colder then I expected it to be. Ryan laughed again and reached down, unbuttoning his pants.

"What the hell are you doing?"

He looked at me, his eye brow raised. "I'm letting you wear these. They'll fit, trust me. You can go behind that rock and change into the sweatshirt and pants."

I took the clothes without a word, embarrassed for thinking it was for any other reason and changed quickly, handing Ryan my wet clothes which he tossed into the backseat of his car.

"Let's go home. Your mom will probably kill me for having you out this long."

____________________________________________________________

"My first went a little like this...and twist...and twist," his voice was soft, sweet and on tune as we finally pulled up to his drive way. We had sung almost every song on the radio that played and if we weren't singing, we were laughing and arguing with each other about the fact we both thought we couldn't sing.

I echoed the lines, singing the girl's part back at him and then joined him at the chorus. Our voices matched with each others and so did our laughs. Our faces were close because now that he was parked and we sat in his driveway, the car lights off, we sung at each other.

We both made loud kissing smacks in the pauses of 3oh!3's song.

The song ended and we laughed, our faces still inches from each others. The silence was comfortable and I found myself looking at him curiously now.

"Well...this isn't my first kiss but...it still goes a little like this," he leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine, his fingers through my half-dried hair that was curling around my face

Surprisingly, I found myself kissing back. Surprisingly, I loved the taste of his lips on mine.