Even If No One Believes Us

nine.

When I woke up the next morning, the birds were chirping loudly and the sun was bright as it shined through my curtains. I just couldn't help but feel like something was different today. I slightly touched my lips and realized that that was what was different. I replayed the scene in my mind and decided that it was totally wrong, the whole thing was just weird.

How could two people who hated each other kiss like we kissed last night. It just wasn't possible.

By now, I had already pulled my shorts on and was half-way down the stairs. I had to ask him if it was real, if our kiss really happened.

"Ryan!" I yelled, halfway across my yard. He looked up from the cigarette he was smoking. His face looked dark and his eyes looked tired. He looked sick. "Wait, are you sick?"

"No." his voice was cold. "What did you want?"

I shook off the coldness, "Was our kiss real last night?"

He shook his head a little and laughed, "Yeah, it was. I can't do that though. I can't just be with you. It's difficult."

My heart sunk a little, "It wasn't that I was asking that, Ryan. Wait - you kissed me. Why can't you be with me? I'm just curious."

"I like you a lot, Lilly. I honestly do but I can't be with you."

I looked at him for a moment, trying to get out of his eyes what was wrong but he looked back down and pulled his baseball hat down a little more and rubbed his black rimmed eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept in days and I wondered how he could like that after just one night.

I turned around and let him there, slamming the door as I heard the unmistakable sound of vomiting, then his mothers soft voice, "Oh, Ryan..."