Status: active...with enough comments and feedback

Get Me Back on Skates

10. why question him?

"But doesn't she have a say in this, too? "Tyler was quick to argue. "I'm her boyfriend, not yours. This is her apartment, not yours, even if you do stay here."
"This IS my place!!" Em screamed. "I sleep here, I eat here, I fucking live here!" My jaw dropped to the floor at her response. She didn't help pay the rent, and she didn't even make her own bed! I let her stay here whenever she wanted, but that was only because she was the only one that could help me. But I'm sick of her just crashing here and then telling me that I'm taking her for granted. Hell, she didn't ever buy groceries, but she helped herself to all the food she could take.
"Emmalee, this is NOT your apartment, it's mine! You don't clean, you don't cook, and you don't even help pay! You can't tell me that I'm the one taking advantage of you, because you walk into my apartment uninvited and sit on my sofa and watch TV. You crash here when you're too drunk to get up, and you eat everything that's in my kitchen. Now you can't tell Tyler that he can't come here because he is not your boyfriend, and this is not your house!"
Her face grew bright red, and she stomped out of the apartment without a sound. As soon as she slammed the door behind her, what I said to her really sunk into me. I'd never stood up to anyone like that before, except for my four older brothers. But when you live with them, it's eat or be eaten. As the silence slithered in, I looked at Tyler wonderingly. Had I just yelled at my best friend?
"What-what's the matter?" Tyler looked confused. I just couldn't explain why, but I could feel the tears on my eyes. I thought that I should've been happy, standing up to Em like that, but I wasn't. Now I had nobody to keep me company when I come home scarred from the insults. Before I knew it, I was on my knees, sobbing, in the middle of my bedroom. Tyler was right by my side. He pulled me into his lap and gently rubbed my back while I cried for the millionth time today. I was honestly impressed that he just patiently held me the entire time. He never complained, he just sat there and comforted me.
"Tyler," I whimpered, "how in the world are you so patient with me? You haven't even known me an entire day, but you treat me like I'm the only woman on Earth." He looked down at me with those big brown eyes and my heart melted all over again.
"That's because you're the only woman that matters to me."