Contagious

.03

“Hey. Hey. Hey. You are such a cheater!” Vic heard Mike’s voice from the living room as he made his way into his house, “Vic’s home!” He shouted.
Vic was suddenly confront by three guys jumping on each other while they held playing cards in their hands, “Vic’s back from his little date.” Jaime made little kissy faces.
Vic sighed quietly and made his way towards his bedroom ignoring the calls his best friends and his brother were making behind him. Once he got to his bedroom he locked himself in and let his feelings shower him. The lump in his throat he felt the moment she told him she was sick finally broke through and made its way down his eyes. He cried louder than he had ever cried before, one of his hands held his stomach while the other used his bedroom wall for support. Gasps and grunts came from the pit of his stomach as his legs lost their strength. He slowly fell to the floor and held himself together tightly continuing to let his emotions get the better of him.
“Why…” he managed to whisper

--2 years later—

“Hey he was right! That really was one sick crowd.” Jaime smiled wiping the sweat off of his forehead
“We’re doing it big guys!” Mike laughed finally letting go of his sticks, “I say we go out and celebrate tonight.” He wrapped his thin arm around Vic’s shoulders.
“Mike, you would party even if we didn’t play today.” Vic chuckled
“I’m not complaining.” Tony smiled, “But, I need to call the girlfriend.”
“Oooo little turtle has to check in.” Mike said in a girly voice.
“Fuck off man, you’re just jealous.” Tony laughed putting his phone to his ear and walked away.
“Am not.” Mike frowned.
“Just a little?” Jaime asked.
“A little.” Mike nodded, “So, shower, party.”
“I’m not down.” Vic smiled, “I’m feeling a little sick.”
“What a buzz kill…” Jaime sighed
“Well I guess it’s just you and me tonight bro.” Mike smiled
“You can be my sexy date.” Jaime winked
Mike threw his hands in front of himself defensively, “Not like that bro.”
The three of them made their way towards their bus where they freshened up and changed their clothes. Jaime and Mike left with a bottle of whiskey and left Vic. He made his way towards his bunk and laid down, looking up. He had taped his favorite picture of him and Hilary right above him. She was looking at the camera with a wide smile and he was looking at her. It had always been like that, she was carefree and he never understood how he got such a beautiful human being inside and out to be his. He pulled out a box from under his box and pulled out a pink bird made out of origami paper. Hilary had given it to him, “Sometimes we need to remember that we all have wings.” She told him. The words still lingered in his head and danced around with the sweetness of her voice.

--2 Years Earlier—

“Wings, huh…” he repeated looking at the pink bird
“Yeah. We can all fly at some point in our lives, it’s when we’re doing what we do best. For example, you grow wings whenever you sing.” She smiled at him.
She had tried to act like she never told him anything about what she was going through but it changed everything for him. The thought was always in his head, that day could be her final day. He tried to act like if nothing was wrong for her sake, but when he got home at night he would brake down. It was becoming rare for him to fall asleep for any amount of time. He would stay awake at night and just think about how unfair the world was.
“I don’t believe that, but I do believe there are walking angels, and I just happened to fall in love with one.” He smiled
She blushed, “Lucky Angel.”
“Lucky Human.” He corrected
“How is it that you can’t accept how amazing you are Vic?” She asked laying her small hands over his.
“The only amazing thing about me is you Hilary.”
“So Latino Heat comes out now? I’ve been waiting for that cheesy line forever!” she laughed
“Cheesy but it’s true.” He chuckled
She giggled along with him and took a bite of the taco in front of her, “You think there’s Mexican food in heaven?”
That question would have been the funniest thing to him if he wasn’t in the situation he was in, “Mexican food is heaven baby.”
She leaned back in her chair and laughed loudly, “That hit my funny bone.”
He made a mental recording of that moment, he wanted to remember her like this. Happy, laughing, the way she always was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?