‹ Prequel: Chasing Dragonflies

Pull My Strings

When I See Your Smile

Another wave of nausea washed over me as I bent down to collect some more of last nights beer bottles. I sighed and brushed my bangs away from my face, dumping the half-full trash bag in my hand on the floor I wandered over to the window. The fresh snow on the front lawn lay untouched even though it was almost three in the afternoon, as usual I was the first one awake and the boys were still asleep upstairs.

Bert had thrown yet another impromptu house party last night, his excuse being he, Dan, Quinn and Jeph would be out on the road again soon so it was better that they let loose and partied in a 'controlled environment'. I rolled my eyes at my friend's ability to sweet talk me into anything, all he had to do was mention that they might not be around for a while and I was putty in his hands.

I rested my forehead against the cool window pane and let my eyes drift shut. The sharp pain between my skull and my brain dulled a little but not enough.

"Boo."

I jumped as Jeph's soft voice danced across my cheek and his bare arms draped around my hips.

"Morning," he kissed my cheek.

"Afternoon actually," I smiled as he nuzzled my neck and squeezed my hips gently.

"What's got you so interested?" he asked softly.

I shook my head slowly and motioned to the empty front yard, "It's already clean out there."

"I'll help you tidy this place up," I felt Jeph's snakebites graze my skin as he smiled against my cheek.

"It can wait," I sighed contentedly and leaned back against his chest.

Together we watched some more flakes of snow flirt with the gentle breeze and gradually join their counterparts on the frozen ground. Jeph's chin rested on my shoulder and I reached up to tangle my fingers in his dark, messy hair. It had been a little over a year ago that Jepha and I officially got together and it had been a pretty good year, in my opinion anyway.

"I could stay like this forever," Jeph breathed, tightening his arms around me.

I made an agreeing noise, trailing my fingers across his warm inked skin and pressed my fingers between his.

As the snow continued to fall a bright yellow taxi cruised past the window and stopped at a house further down the street.

"Do the O'Brien's still live there?" asked Jeph as the driver got out of the cab and opened the trunk, unloading two suitcases.

I nodded, my attention focused on the tall blonde woman standing on the sidewalk, "What's she doing back here?"

"Sadie O'Brien," Jeph sighed and I felt him straighten up.

"Quinn's going to shit a brick," I stated, folding my arms across my chest, watching the woman I used to call my friend look up the street towards the house.

Jeph chuckled quietly in my ear, "You are your brother's sister."

"I'm serious Jeph. This is just going to screw with his brain."

"You have to admit Mace, his brain's pretty screwed already," Jeph laughed.

I turned in his arms and swatted his bare chest, "That's not nice."

"It's the truth!" he smiled, splaying his hands on the small of my back.

"I didn't say it wasn't true, I said it wasn't nice," I smiled, looping my arms around his tattooed neck.

Jeph pecked my lips and looked out the window again, "This can't be good."

I looked over my shoulder at Sadie walking up the front path to her old home and sighed, "Quinn was really messed up last time."

"He'll be okay. A lot's changed in five years," Jeph kissed my forehead sweetly.

Moving my arms down around his waist I tucked my head under his chin and pulled our bodies closer together, "I don't want to see her hurt my brother again."