‹ Prequel: Chasing Dragonflies

Pull My Strings

Cold

I stood in front of my closet, hands on my towel covered hips and considered what combination of jeans, shirt and shoes I would wear today.

"You might need a thermal, it's a little cold out," Jeph's voice broke the silence of my room, his hands resting on my waist.

I jumped at the sudden contact before grabbing a bright blue buffalo checked thermal shirt from the shelf just above my head, "I wondered where you'd got to," I turned around in his arms, "It's weird not waking up to you."

He kissed me softly, "Zelda needed a walk."

I looked down at the little dog and nodded, "Ah, the other woman."

Jeph laughed as he let me go and sat down on the end of my bed.

"So did you guys have fun?" I asked as I took off my towel to reveal my matching pink panties and bra.

"Yeah, we met someone actually."

I shimmied into my black skinny jeans, "Oh?"

He nodded, "Yeah, Sadie."

I looked up from my buttons, "You met her?"

Jeph nodded again, "Spoke to her too."

"What was she saying?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Uh, that she had been working in New York at some law firm and uh," he paused, "Well, that she was married now."

I blinked, I hadn't been expecting that, "Huh."

"That's what I thought."

I nodded and continued getting dressed.

Jeph appeared in front of me, two fingers under my chin to make me look at him, "She didn't seem to be very happy about it if that's any consolation."

I shrugged, "It's just weird I guess. I always thought her and Quinn would, you know?"

"They're going through a rough patch apparently, that's why she's back home for a little bit."

I nodded, not really sure why I cared so much.

"She was pretty shocked about us," Jeph said, resting his forehead against mine.

"You told her we were together?"

He shrugged, "She asked if there was anyone special and I said yes."

I tilted my head up and caught his lips with mine, his studs grazing my chin.

"What was that for?" he laughed.

I shrugged and wrapped my arms around his waist and buried my head in the crook of his tattooed neck, "You just reminded me how much I love you, that's all."

Jepha's hands rubbed my back soothingly, "She asked about Quinn too."

"Oh?"

I felt him nod, "Just if he was happy and stuff."

"What did you say?"

"I told her yes, that he was the same old Quinn."

"Do you think that maybe they could see each other and everything would be okay?" I ventured.

He shrugged, "I honestly don't know. I mean Sadie did hurt him but that was a long time ago and a lot of things have changed now."

I nodded and tightened my arms around him, snuggling closer to his strong chest, "Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they did see each other."

Suddenly the front door slammed shut with a bang and Quinn's voice roared up the stairs, "Macy Anne Allman get your ass down here now!"

I looked up at Jepha, "That can't be good."