Things That Happen

Things That Happen And Can't Be Stopped

As the night wore on Caleb got extremely drunk. He sat there with his friend David, who was the designated driver.

David looked at Caleb and frowned, the man hadn't spoken in the past hour and he was on his tenth drink. This night was to celebrate his twenty-first birthday, it was supposed to be a happy time. Instead Caleb was getting more wrapped up in himself and drinking more.

"What's wrong?" David finally broke the silence.

Caleb looked up at him, "I should have told her I'm sorry... I should have." He stared back down into his drink.

David realizing who the 'her' he was talking about said, "Well, you can call her in the morning and tell her then. When you're more sober."

Caleb didn't hear the words of his friend, "We shouldn't have fought... It was stupid... so stupid... I can't believe I even said that to her."

David put his hand on his friends shoulder, "Call her in the morning and tell her. I'm sure she'll understand."

Caleb shook his head and tears fell, "I can't." He mumbled.

David confused by this sudden emotion asked, "Why can't you? She'll understand... She usually does."

Caleb buried his head in his arms. David could barely hear, "She died last year... This is the anniversary of her death."

David gasped, "I... I didn't know, you never told me... I... I'm so sorry."

Caleb sniffed, "She was killed by a drunk driver... I bet she thought it was me."

David rubbed Caleb's back, "I know she didn't think it was you. I know she didn't."

Caleb wiped his face, "She knew I used to drive drunk... And I was mad at her..."

"It doesn't mean she thought it was you... Do you hear me?"

Caleb's tears were falling like rain, "I should've apologized sooner... Fuck, I should've just apologized... I was such a bastard to her... And all she did was care about me... I didn't even get to see her before she died..."

David wrapped his arm around Caleb, "Yes you did, you might not remember that much 'cause you were drunk but you saw her. The night before you're b-day when you got drunk I called her over 'cause I had to go to work..."

Caleb looked at David, "That was her? I thought it was you... I told her I loved her. Oh god..." Caleb cried harder.

David hugged him closer, "It's okay, tell her you're sorry now."

Caleb whispered, "I'm so sorry and if we meet again I'll be right beside you."