Status: Work in progress but active

Prototype Zero

Chapter 13: The Same Old New Thing

The sun rises and shines into Shun’s bedroom as he wakes up to another morning. Shun yawns as he gets out of his bed. Zero is already outside in the tree practicing his sword strikes. Shun watches as Zero attacks the tree with swift, precise strikes. With each strike leaves are falling from the tree like snowflakes during a white winter. With every strike of his sword was shaking the tree to its roots and rocking the side of Shun’s house. Zero strikes the tree about ten more times before jumping back into the room through the window. Shun looks in amazement as he comes up with questions.

Shun: “Wow. Where’d you learn that grade of swordsmanship from?”

Zero: “What do you mean? I’ve known how to use a sword since I was activated.”

Shun: “Come to think of it…when were you activated?”

Zero: “Thinking back on my internal memory, the earliest memory I have is of me running through a dark narrow passageway while I hear the sound of someone chasing me as well as my senses impaired. I could hear a voice in my ear telling me the way to go but I don’t remember whose voice it was.”

Shun: “So once we find out a little more information about your origin, then we can find out some more about how you came to be, why you were created, and what your intended purpose was.”

Zero: “I agree. Is there someone who can help us with research?”

Shun: “Hmmmm…Iteza is good at computers and researching but with the tournament coming up he’s gonna be too busy with practice to help out for now. Maybe we can ask him later on when we have more information.”

Zero: “Well that scratches that. Is there anyone else you know who can help out with the research that has a little more free time?”

Shun: “Well there is one more person but…”

Zero: “But what? If they can help out with research then I say we should ask them.”

Shun: “I know but…she’s scary.”

Shun makes a fearful face that indicates that he’s thinking about the person who could possibly help. He sighs and opens his mouth as he begins to speak.

Shun: “Well I guess I could ask…”

Shun stutters as he about to say the name of the person he is thinking about before Zero interrupts.

Zero: “Come on Shun! Who is it already?!”

Shun sighs

Shun: “I guess I could ask Kohana.”

Zero: “Who’s Kohana?”

Shun: “Kohana is Takashia’s kid sister.”

Zero: “How come we’ve never met her?”

Shun: “We’ve never met her because she doesn’t go to school with us and she doesn’t really like me so I avoid as much contact with her as possible.”

Zero: “Why doesn’t she go to school with you guys? Shouldn’t she be a year or two under you guys at your school?”

Shun: “No. According to Takashia, she’s a kid genius. She graduated early and now attends college in town while staying at home. The reason as to why she doesn’t like me much is still a mystery to me.
*Shun rubs the top of his head in confusion* She never liked me from the first time I met her. She punched me once because our hands accidentally touched.”

Zero: “So how come she doesn’t hang out with you and the rest of the guys?”

Shun: “Takashia told us about how’s she’s really busy with studies and everything so we don’t suggest bringing her out with us or anything unless she has a day off or cancelled classes. Plus I’d rather not get hit again.”

Zero: “I see. So you think that we should head over there and ask her to do some research on your origins and see if there are any clues that can lead us on. If I tell her about the little piece of memory that I have maybe she can analyze the data left there and try and piece together something.”

Zero turns to walk out of the room when Shun begins to speak in a nervous manner.

Shun: “Zero? Can I ask you something?”

Zero: “What is it?”

Shun: “That sword style you use…can you teach it to me?”

Zero: “Hmmmmm…I’ve known about this sword style for as long as I’ve been activated. I don’t know where I got it from but I’ve never even thought of teaching it to anyone.”

Shun: “Come on Zero. I figured if we’re gonna be partners then we need to grow stronger together at the same pace. The way I see things is that the Machina is only as strong as the operator. I feel that we need to be in sync if we’re going to win this tournament and discover your origins.”

Zero: “Maybe so. It doesn’t sound like a bad idea but maybe we should train ourselves first and get ourselves prepared for it first.”

Shun: “I’ve been training with Takashia for a few years in martial arts. Maybe I could teach you some basic fighting strategies to incorporate into your swordplay.”

Zero: “That doesn’t sound like a bad idea Shun. We could start training tomorrow. For now we should focus on convincing Kohana to help us out on our search for answers for now.”

Shun: “You’re right. We might as well get the day started and see what we can do. We’ve got all day to search. I’ll call the others and see if they can meet here and help out.”

Shun walks out of the room and down the stairs and grabs the receiver off of the hook. Zero can hear Shun talking faintly on the phone as he begins to think to himself.

Zero: (Maybe I’m asking too much of these kids. Maybe I’m getting them involved in something that could be bigger than all of them. No! I can’t think like that after making my decision. I can’t go back on my word now.)

Shun’s footsteps can be heard approaching louder and louder as he makes his way back the stairs and walks back into his room.

Shun: “So I’ve called everyone and they said that they’ll be on their way here but no one has seen-“

*Knock, Knock, Knock*

Shun and Zero look at each other in confusion as to wonder who that could be knocking at the door this early in the morning. Shun walks down the stairs and opens the door to find Takashia and Misery standing at the door.

Shun: “Takashia! I didn’t’ expect you to be here so early in the morning. What are you here for?”

Takashia: “I was hoping to pair up with you guys for some training and a little bit of sparring. Misery and I were planning to work out a bit and I thought of coming by to get you since we had to pass by. Are you in?”

Shun: “I was actually going to investigate more into Zero’s origins and find out some clues about where he came from. We were hoping that if we find any clues near where we first met him we can bring them to your sister Kohana.”

Takashia: “Kohana?! I don’t know about seeing her right about now. You know you two don’t get along well anyway for some reason.”

Shun: “It wasn’t my fault at all!”

Takashia: “Well whatever it was, I’d prefer not to get involved in your little spat you two have going on.”

Shun: “Anyways, I’ve got to ask for her help. She’s the only one capable enough to process this in secret without any of us being found out. She’s the only one I can count on for this kind of research with the kind of technical work we’ve got to deal with. I’ve got to get her help no matter what.”

Takashia: “Since you put it that way, I guess I can try and convince her to help us out. After all, we all promised to help Zero in any way we can. I guess we can practice later and get going to my house.”

Shun: “Yeah. Everyone else is supposed to be coming this way over here so I guess we can-“

*Ding Dong, Ding Dong*

Shun and Takashia stand behind the front door prepared to leave.

Shun: “That must be them let’s get going.”

Takashia and Shun nod to each other as they open the door and begin to leave the house.

Shun: “Hey guys! Our search for answers begins!”

The Same Old New Thing-End
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've been absent for so long. I've been working on this story but haven't found time to update due to classes. But now I'm back and more dedicated than ever. Hope you guys enjoy!