Status: Work in progress but active

Prototype Zero

Chapter 14: Finding What You Aren't Looking For

Shun, Iteza, Kaida, and Takashia along with their machina departed from Shun’s house and started to begin their search for clues that could lead them to finding out more about Zero’s past and how he came to be. They stop at a local playground and begin to conversate.

Shun: “So Zero, where do we start?”

Zero closes his eyes and goes into a state of deep thought and flashbacks from his past start to come to him. His first one was a flash of an image comes into his mind’s eye. The image of a dark passageway and the feeling of very shallow water come into view. He also sees a tall figure chasing him through the passageway. Then he remembers being cornered and escaping upward toward the darkness above him. He remembers being injured and finding the light through a hole above him. Zero recalls what he saw to Shun and the others.

Iteza: “From the sounds of things you may have been in an underground sewage system or underground tunnel. If we’re going to be looking into something this big, maybe we should quiet about this for a while until we can uncover more info for Kohana to research.”

Kaida’s machina Gabriel begins to speak.

Gabriel: “Does anyone know where Daitaro and Daijiro are? No one has heard from them all day.”

Shun: “I heard that they had to handle some family business with their parents. You know how that can- Huh? What’s this?”

Shun’s phone rings as he pulls it out of his pocket and takes a look at it.

Shun: “Seems like I have a message and it’s from Aione.”

Shun reads the message aloud to the rest of the group.

Shun: “Found something that may help out in your research. Meet me at the park across town at 3pm. What time is it now?”

Shun looks for a response from someone. Takashia looks at his watch and calls the time.

Takashia: “It’s about 11:30am. That means we have about 3½ hours left to search out what’s going on with Zero’s past and we have to make it to the station for the train with is about a 45-minute ride to the park across town. I say we get started now.”

Kaida: “Well we have to think of an area where there is access to an underground tunnel or passageway of some sort. Any ideas?”

A shadowy mass appears to be hiding high above the area where Shun and the rest of the group are.

???: “I have to make sure that the lab isn’t discovered by anyone else. If the professor finds out that his lab is exposed then it’s gonna be over for the rest of us. I’d better keep a close eye on them.”

The shadow jumps into a small descent and quickly flies away. Iteza’s face grows uneasy and nervous. Tri-Blaze notices this look and questions Iteza.

Tri-Blaze: “Something wrong? You look a bit uneasy.”

Iteza’s face turns from one of uneasiness to a face of confusion.

Iteza: “I don’t know. I just have the feeling that we’re being watched somehow. I think it would be a good idea to split up from here. We need to pair up in case something happens.”

Iteza: (I can’t shake this feeling that something is watching us. Even now I feel like im being stared at.)

Iteza: “Since Aione isn’t with us we’ll split and cover each side of town and meet back at the train station. Takashia and Misery I want you to take the shopping district and check anything out of the ordinary in the area. Kaida and Gabriel you go to the hospital complex and check the surrounding areas. If we're looking for something underground then the technology from the hospital’s systems may be of some good use. Shun and Zero I want you to check out the East Side’s factory district and the docks. Maybe some of the machinery there could’ve been put into some good use for whoever is behind this. Any questions?”

Iteza looks around at the group objections and only Shun has his hands in the air.

Iteza: “Shun?”

Shun: “Why do I have to check the most dangerous place in town? Plus to add to that why do I have two areas of town to check?”

Iteza: “Because it’ll give you and Zero more time to get used to each other’s abilities as well as because you have the energy for it. But just in case my hunch is right stay close together and keep your eyes open for details. Something’s wrong and I can’t shake this feeling. Okay you guys see you later at the train station.”

The group splits up and starts to investigate their respective areas. Takashia and Misery are walking through the grocery stores and seem to have found nothing. They walk through the mall and department stores only to come up empty handed.

Takashia: “See or hear anything Misery?”

Misery checks his sensors and enhances his scoping to see if anything is out of the normal.

Misery: “Nope. I’ve got nothing. Let’s keep looking.”

Takashia nods as they continue to walk throughout the department stores.

Kaida and Gabriel are checking out the hospital. They make their way to the roof and look down on the complex to see anything different. Gabriel scopes out the area and doesn’t see anything. They make their way to the newest structure being built and couldn’t find anything.

Kaida: *Sigh* “There’s nothing here so I guess we have to keep looking for it and see what happens. This place is gonna look awesome when it’s done. It’s so huge!”

Kaida looks up into the air as she inspects and checks out the structure that is about to be built.
Shun and Zero was walking through the Factory District trying to find any clues. Shun sits down tired as Zero checks out a factory machine. Shun whines and complains as he sits on a steel girder.

Shun: “I hate this district! There’s barely any food here, it’s loud, and I can’t sit still in here for five minutes without sparks flying or something flying past me.”

Shun’s stomach growls loudly. Zero finishes scanning the area.

Zero: “I couldn’t find anything on my sensors that indicates anything out of the ordinary. Maybe we could go to the Docks and find something there.”

Shun: “That’d be great. Maybe we can stop by one of the restaurants there and grab something to eat. I’m starving!”

Shun and Zero had begun to depart from the Factory District as they make their way to the Docks. Meanwhile, Iteza and Tri-Blaze are thinking of where to search at. Iteza checks his laptop and searches for local areas that may lead underground and comes up blank.

Iteza: *Sigh* “This sucks! I can’t find anything on here. Maybe if I should wander around and see what happens. Let’s go Tri.”

Tri-Blaze and Iteza begin to walk away from the playground when something strikes at them from the skies. Tri-Blaze senses the preemptive attack and is able to get Iteza and himself out of harm’s way.

Tri-Blaze: “You ok?”

Iteza picks himself up off of the ground and stands at the ready.

Iteza: “Yeah I’m fine. What the hell was that?”

The figure stood itself up towering above Iteza and Tri-Blaze. The figure appeared to have huge bulging arms, a strong body with sturdy armor, long black hair hanging behind, and large metal fists. He was also wearing a shadow black cloak flowing behind him.

???: “I won’t let you little shits find Professor Akihiko’s laboratory! Prepare for a thrashing!”

Iteza: “Professor Akihiko?!! Who the hell is he? Is that who we’re supposed to be looking for? Guess we’ve got no choice…Let’s GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Finding What You Aren’t Looking For-End