Status: Work in progress but active

Prototype Zero

Chapter 18: Purpose

Shun, Kohana, and Zero sat in the room in silence as they looked at Zero then back at one another. Kohana had a look of confusion and interest at the same time at the uncovering of the secret behind Project Genesis and Project Prototype. Zero walks towards the mirror on the other side of the room and takes a look at his reflection. He looks down at his hands in shock and just stares into the void of his reflection.

Zero: “So what am I? Am I just an experiment that succeeded? What is my purpose in all of this? Was I made just because they messed up the first time? Why am I here?”

Shun: “I don’t know what this is all about or why things are this way, but I promise to help you in any way I can. But we’re gonna get to the bottom of this. First we need to find out what exactly Project Genesis was and its purpose. Then we need to find out what happened to cause Genesis to go berserk and do what he did.”

Kohana: “But for right now we can’t just go and ask anyone about this project because this is classified information that we shouldn’t even be in possession of. We need to get into the systems and find out what could’ve caused this to happen. The contents of this box contain the original blueprints of Project Genesis and the specs and tech needed to build him from scratch. I can run a simulation program on my computer to show what would have happened if I built an exact replica of Genesis.”

Shun: “Then where are the plans for Project Prototype?”

Kohana: “Let’s see.”

Kohana walks to the box and opens it to look for the plans of Project Prototype. But to her surprise….

Kohana: “There not here!”

Shun/Zero: “WHAT???!!!

Shun: “Are you serious?! Where could they be?”

Kohana: “They’re not in the box so my guess is that Professor Akihiko has them. If he was able to build Zero from scratch then he still has the plans.”

Shun: “Then we need to find him. Maybe when we find him, we can find out what happened to Genesis as well.” I’ll go tell the guys about this.”

Kohana: “Watch your communications from now on. If someone was watching Iteza and tried to surprise attack him, there’s no doubt that someone else is watching you’re every movements as well. We need to be more careful from now on. I’ll send a message to everyone else now through my private server. That way it won’t be intercepted by the enemy or any spies listening in. I’ll tell them to meet up at the Usual Spot. It should be easy to meet up this late. You should get going now and meet up with the others along the way.”

Shun and Zero start out the door when Shun turns around and looks toward Kohana.

Shun: “You aren’t coming?”

Kohana: “I’ve got to watch the program and make sure that it goes smoothly.”

Shun grabs her hand and pulls her out of the chair.

Shun: “Oh come on! You can leave that program alone for a couple of hours. It won’t hurt. Come out with us for a while. It should be done by the time we get back from the Usual Spot.”

Kohana can barely get her composure together as she’s being rushed down the stairs by Shun as they make their way to the bottom of the stairs near the front door of the house as they rush to put their shoes on at the same time.

Kohana: “Where’s Zero?”

Shun: “Zero never uses doors. He uses windows as his way in and out of houses. He apparently likes to scare the hell out of people too.”

Shun quickly flashes back to the time where Zero jumped in through the window and scared him.
Shun, Kohana, and Zero had made it outside and started to head towards their hideout. Kohana was typing a message into her phone and had sent it out to the rest of the group. Kohana closes her phone.

Kohana: “It’s sent. Everyone should be headed to the Usual Spot in a bit. I haven’t been back there in years. It feels like yesterday since I was there.”

Shun: “So you remember the way?”

Kohana: “I know another route that I found…let me show you. You can go on ahead of us and meet us at the spot, Zero.”

Zero dashes on forward as Kohana grabs Shun’s hand and leads him into a thick part of the woods. They come to a spot that looks as if it’s been undisturbed for years. The moonlight is bright overhead as the light is reflected off of the petals of the flowers that cover the small field. Kohana leads Shun over to a spot as they sit down.

Shun: “This place is beautiful. I had never imagined some place like this existed in our little city. I guess we’re so wrapped up with our technology so much that we don’t take the time to appreciate the wildlife and nature around us for what it is. This really is beautiful.”

Kohana: “Yeah it really is. I come here often when I need to think or just relax. This is my safety
zone. This is my oasis away from the stresses my everyday life. I feel relaxed here with you, Shun.”

Shun: “So do I, Kohana.”

Shun looks at Kohana’s face as the moonlight is shining into her bright brown eyes and making them even brighter. His hand falls on top of Kohana’s subconsciously as she looks into his eyes as her cheeks start to burn bright red. They lean towards each other more closely and their eyes close just as…

*RIIIIIINNNNNG! RRRIIIIINNNNGGGG!*

Shun: “Sorry.”

Shun answers the phone.

Shun: “Hello? Yeah I’ll be there soon I’m close by. See you in a bit.”

Closes phone.

Shun: “We’ve got to go. The rest of the guys are already there and waiting for us.”

Kohana: “Yeah…we should go.”

Shun and Kohana start on their way to the Usual Spot.

Meanwhile, Zero is walking towards the hideout thinking to himself and finds himself lost in thought.

Zero: “So am I just a fixed version of a broken model? What is the reason for my creation? If Genesis never went rogue then would I have been made? Was I made to stop Genesis or to be my own being? What is my purpose?!!!! Even if I’m just a success compared to my predecessor, I’ve gotta carve out my own destiny!!”

Zero shouts in anger as he swings his sword and cuts down the surrounding trees. He breathes heavily as if he’s relieved as he staggers to put his sword back into its sheathe and continue his walk. Shun and Kohana walk into the Usual Spot to find Takashia, Iteza, Daijiro, Daitaro, Aione, and Kaida waiting inside.

Shun: “Sorry for calling you guys here so late. We’ve got some news to tell you guys about Zero and the contents of the box we’ve found underground in the ruins of the old lab in the Factory District.”

Shun and Kohana spend some more time explaining the contents of the data found in the box and the plans that were created to make both Projects Genesis and Prototype. The moon has been passing in the night sky as everyone still remains wide awake even though it is late at night.

Takashia: “So now we have to make Prof. Akihiko our number one priority! We have to capture him as soon as possible, find his lab, and get the plans for Project Prototype from him so that we can discover more about Zero and decipher any other questions we may have about Genesis.”

Everyone stands up.

Iteza: “We have to do whatever it takes to stop him. With these plans in his possession, he could mass-produce many Machina with enough power to take control of the city. If left unchecked, he could raise an army that could rival the powers of the rest of the world.”

Aione: “We must stop him at any costs!”

Shun: “We’re all in this together!”

All: “Yeah!”

Zero cracks a smile to himself.

Zero: (I think I have found my purpose.)

Purpose-End