Status: Work in progress but active

Prototype Zero

Chapter 39: Virtual Un-Reality

Takashia: “Survival...?"

Iteza: “Test...?”

Misery: “What do you mean by that?”

Tri-Blaze: “You mean like a series of battles and survival fights or something?”

Kohana: 'No. By survival tests I mean an actual test of survival by using your instincts and knowledge to get the best over nature and the elements. This is a test of trust and endurance between you and your partner...or in Kaida's case, partners. You will start off at different points and different terrains and environments and your jobs are to endure each one and trust in your partners and yourselves and pass each test.”

Shun: “Will there be any battling of any sort?”

Kohana: “Well there will be fighting but not amongst yourselves but against the environment itself.”

Aione: “So our abilities will be tested in environmental survival tests using our abilities as both operator and partner to clear the harshest of trials against any kind of danger?”

Kohana: “In a nutshell exactly. Since the warehouse is so huge and we don't wanna risk anyone getting in the way of whoever is going for trials, the construction crew also installed a platform on the second floor for the rest of us to watch and speculate from while the trials are proceeding.”

Iteza: So…who’s first?”

Everyone is looking around at each other in confusion as to who’s going to go. Kohana proceeds up the stairs to the observation lookout on the second floor.

Takashia: “I guess I’ll go first since no one’s gonna volunteer for this session at all. Me and Misery might break a few things so don’t get mad if anything gets wrecked.”

Takashia smiles and cracks his knuckles and bends his neck.

Misery: “Let’s get this started, shall we? Kohana what’s the hardest difficulty you have on this training simulation?”

Kohana: Well as far as difficulty, the hardest stage I have is the tropical volcano island. However, there is a mission that is embedded in each stage. This stage actually is right up your alley.”

Misery: “Alright so what do we have to do?"

Kohana: “Well this mission is your average smash ‘em up type of mission.”

Takashia: “Yes! A test of pure strength and will. We can handle anything you throw at us.”

Kohana: “Here’s the catch…The volcano is erupting and rocks and molten lava is bursting from the peak. Your job here is to defend a village at the foot of the mountain. Not only do you have to smash any rocks falling from the sky, but you also have to protect the village and its people from the lava that spews forth from the volcano and keep everyone safe.”

Takashia: “Sounds fair enough and pretty easy for me and Misery. We could do this too easy.”

Kohana: “Well have fun you two. We’ll be upstairs getting the simulation started. Come on everyone. Let’s head to the observation deck.”

Misery and Takashia remain downstairs on the main floor while the rest of the group heads up the stairs to the deck. Kohana started pressing a few buttons on the tablet and the atmosphere started to shift and transform the room into a tropical rainforest. Everyone is amazed at the scenery of the forest and how realistic it looks. Misery walks up to a bush and plucks a leaf from it.

Misery: “This leaf feels so real.”

Takashia: “This is high quality tech we working with here.”

Kohana: “This is the combination of my technology and specs mixed with the latest machines and equipment from Saito Inc. Truly a remarkable masterpiece if I do say so myself.”

Takashia: Where’d that voice come from?!”

Kohana: I’m still behind you in the observation deck upstairs. The program cloaks the deck along with the environment of the program. We can see you but you can’t see us. Don’t worry I’ll be on lookout and keeping track of everything. Starting program in 15 seconds. Get ready guys and stay sharp. Over and out.”

Takashia and Misery start walking towards the village in the distance

Takashia: “Ok we gotta get ready for whatever comes. We’re coming up on the village right now.”

Misery: “Even though this village doesn’t exist, please don’t do anything to embarrass yourself or me in that matter.”

Takashia: “What you mean embarrass?! You know I’m a true gentleman in every sense of the word.”

Misery: “Sure. Looks like this is the village.”

The ground begins to shake and rumble with the intensity of an incoming earthquake. They look to the top of a volcano and can see the smoke pluming from the mouth.

Nearby villager: “The volcano is about to erupt soon. We need to get out of here fast. You need to get out of here and save yourselves too.”

Takashia: “We’re not here to run or hide from anything.”

Misery: “We’re here to save this village!”

Takashia: “Let’s go!”

The ground shakes with a seismic shock that rattles the land. Houses start to crumble as the ground opened underneath them. A little girl stood there crying as the shockwaves and explosions from the volcano’s mouth. A tree uprooted from the shockwaves toppled over and was about to fall on the small child. Takashia gritted his teeth knowing he couldn’t close the distance so he had to act fast to save the little child.

Takashia: “Hit the tree with Dark Ball and put your all into it!”

With a loud shout, Misery thrust his hand forward as he launched a ball of dark energy at the tree. The sphere launched at blinding speed towards the tree. Just a few meters above the girl’s head the Dark Ball collided with the falling tree, completely shattering it into mere splinters that rained lightly on the girl’s shoulders as she realized that she was safe. One of the escaping villagers scooped her up and took her into the tropical rainforest cascading behind the village. Takashia and Misery turn back around and face the volcano pluming with smoke and ash from its mouth as a fixed look of determination wipes over their face.

Takashia: “Misery are there any villagers left?”

Misery scans for anyone left inside the village.

Misery: “I don’t detect anyone else in the village. It looks like we’re completely clear. We should find some way to prevent the lava from flowing downside to the village or stop it from erupting and burning the forest or even the entire island down.”

Takashia: “I know but how.”

Takashia ponders how to stop the impeding danger of the volcano from causing further damage. As the volcano explodes from the mouth, he gets an idea.

Takashia: “What if we can control the flow of the lava?”

Misery: “How can we possibly do that? It’s too hot to touch or be too close to in any way.”

Takashia: “It’s simple. We’ll trench the lava into a flow that would guide it into the sea, thus preventing any further damage to the island and saving the village. Come on, let’s go.”

Misery: “Where are we going?”

Takashia smiles and points towards the top of the volcano.
Takashia and Misery race to the mountainside to figure how to put his plan into action. They starting running through the forest heading towards the foot of the volcano.

Takashia: “Ok so this is how its gonna go. First I need you to find the side the of this volcano that has the shortest distance to the shore.”

Misery: “Judging from the layout of the island the shortest distance is directly behind the volcano.”

Takashia: “I knew I should’ve ran more in Physical Ed. Awwww man how far are we from the best spot?”

Misery: “About a mile and a half. Are you tired already?”

Takashia (panting): “Me…tired? Not even. The danger is getting my blood boiling and its pumping me up! Push on!”

Takashia and Misery press on and arrive at the spot behind the volcano.

Takashia: “We can see the water from here. All we need to do is create a trench for the lava to flow through so that it won’t do any damage to the island. Use Dark Palm on the ground here and push upward toward the volcano.”

Misery’s hands began to glow with energy as he struck forward into the ground. A hole was made in the ground. Takashia jumped into to measure its depth. The top of the hole came up to his neck. Takashia brings out a pair of gloves and puts them on.

Takashia: "This is perfect. Let’s do this together. Keep using Dark Palm. I’ll be right next to you.”

Misery nods his head at Takashia and jumps into the hole and stances himself to begin digging. Each punch contained the combined strength of Misery and Takashia. As they broke through layers and feet of dirt, hard rock and mountain ground. The volcano boomed and exploded, filling the air with soot and ash falling like snow as they broke through until they came across a large boulder. The unbearable heat and dry air began to take its toll on them. The rest of the group watches from above.

Aione: “Are they gonna be okay? They look exhausted.”

Kohana: “I know my brother better than anyone else. He’s not going to give up on something this small. I know he can do this.”

Takashia and Misery drop to the ground in exhaustion and being trying to catch their breath. Takashia stumbles to his feet and regains his composure while breathing heavily. The volcano shakes the ground even more and causes him back down. He places his hand on the ground and pushes himself up to his feet.

Takashia (panting): “How long until the volcano bursts?”

Misery(panting): “Judging from the quakes and activity we have less than 3 minutes until eruption.”

Takashia: “All that stands between success and failure is this rock. We’ll smash this rock in two. Come on, Misery. One more punch. Let’s do this.”

Takashia and Misery stand together and throw a hard fist into the surface of the rock, only to remain in one piece.

Takashia: “No, no, no, no, no! This isn’t right! We’ve gotta put our whole soul into this punch. We gott imagine that it’s our friends and families counting on us to do this. We gotta stake everything on this punch Misery. It’s now or never. We gotta do this for the sake of these people and this island. We have to break through for real.”

Misery and Takashia perform their fighting stance. They close their eyes and calm their bodies. The explosions of the soon to be erupting volcano cry out in the air. Birds and animals of the forest screech and run in fear of the impeding danger. Instantaneously, they open their eyes and with a soulful shout they strike the boulder. The boulder appears to remain in one piece.

Shun: “Awwwww man! They put everything into that!”

The rest of the group looks disappointed except Kohana who carefully watches the results. The rock cracks and splits into a million pieces as it clears the path for Takashia and Misery, completing the path they carved out for the lava to flow on. Huffing and puffing to catch their breath, Takashia and Misery stand proudly as they watch the volcano quake as it's about to erupt.

Takashia: We’re not done yet! Launch the biggest Dark Ball you can make at the edge of the volcano’s mouth.”

Misery charges the Dark Ball in his hand, it soon expands into a ball he holds with both hands. The bangs from the volcano are as loud as ever as the first few spills of lava surfaced out of the mouth. Misery is holding a massive ball of energy above his head. The group looks on in astonishment.

Shun: “To think he still had this power in him. It’s amazing.”

Iteza: “I’m actually impressed. I’ve seen him use his full power but he’s grown this much since the battle with Genesis. It’s something to be feared.”

Kohana: (I knew you could do it.)

Takashia: “That’s more than enough! Now throw it! Dark Depression!”

Misery throws his newly named attack at the mouth of the volcano. The impact causes a giant part of the mouth to break off and shatter. The lava began to flow onto the carved path that they had created before.

Tri-Blaze: “I see. Like a cup that spills over when one side is broken off. It’s a bit unorthodox but I get his methods though.”

Takashia and Misery laid back on the grass exhausted and out of breath. The simulator buzzed as they had succeeded in preventing the destruction of the island. The room turned back to normal as they lay on the warehouse floor out of breath. The group ran out of the observation deck to check on them. Kohana rushed out first to jump on her brother as he sat up.

Kohana: I knew you could do it! I’m proud of you and thanks to you two, I was able to get incredible data on your fighting strategies and your strength as well.”

Iteza: “That was incredible. I didn’t know you guys had that much power on reserve.”

Takashia: “It was nothing for Team Generation’s best!”

Caliber: “Against that kind of power even back then I wouldn’t have stood a chance opposing you two. I have much respect for you.”

Aione: “I was worried for you and the villagers. I was afraid you didn’t have enough time. Let’s get you guys rested and patched up.”

Kohana: “I’ve got some snacks for you upstairs because I know you had probably rushed out of the house without packing anything for you to eat later. Go on ahead.”

Takashia: “Thanks, Kohana. Let’s go patch up a bit Misery.”

Takashia got up and walked towards the back room with a smile on his face. He put his hand on Shun’s shoulder and whispered in his ear.

Takashia: “We’ve got this. We’re going straight to the top and there’s no one that can stop us. I believe in you.”

Shun’s face looked shocked as he turned around to watch Takashia and Misery’s backs go into the backroom. Kohana pressed a few buttons on her pad and looked at everyone.

Kohana: “So…who’s next?”

-Virtual Un-Reality-End
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy