Status: Comment?? =3 xx

Broken Strings

Memories Are All You Need For Happy Endings

As I pulled the broken stringed guitar from the attic, I felt the memories fill my mind. My dad sitting on the end of my bed, playing every note he could think of, to make a song that soothed me to sleep. When my mother would come in and sing along, finding word after word to string a song together. A one time show.

"Dorabella! It's time" My big sister called up the stairs. I took the guitar with me as I stepped down from the ladder I was balanced on. The strings felt foreign in my hands, but I still held the image of my parents in my room, just three year before now.

I held onto the neck of the guitar, as I walked slowly down the flight of stairs. My mother's emerald eyes stared back at me through my sister. She was so lucky...she looked just like our mum, from her emerald eyes and lightly brown hair, to the birth mark on her hip that was almost excately the same.

I on the other hand, looked like our father. My dusty grey eyes shone in the bright sunlight, with my dark blonde hair in it's natural curles. I had a thin figure, where she was a little filled out, but she was the perfect daughter...I was always the opposite.

When her eyes landed on the old guitar, her eyes seemed to twinkle with tears. I knew it would be difficult for her to see it, but I wasn't going to leave it here. It was the most important memory we both needed to move on.

My niece rushed into the entry way. Her small little arms waving around in the air, as if she was pretending to be a plane. She was beautiful. I couldn't believe she was 4 already.

"Dora the Explorer!" Daisy screeched at me. Her arms flinging around my left leg as I stood there, unable to hold the smile that spread across my face. I didn't like the programme she'd nicknamed me after, but I soon got used to being called it.

"Hey Daisy, go and see mummy ok??" I spoke softly to her. Her green eyes shone bright as she beamed her smile at me, before turning and rushing to Cindy. Watching the way my sister took her daughter into her arms, made my inside ache and I longed for my mother to do the same to me.

I held onto the neck of the guitar a tad tighter, fighting back the terror of tears that edged their way closer and closer to the edge of falling. I would not let the last of my family see me cry.

Walking towards Cindy, Daisy and the last few boxes, I felt a sudden shiver run down my spine. I turned towards the stairs that lead to the first floor, and had to blink a few times...was that my mum??

Cindy picked up Daisy and started towards the door with a box stuffed under her other arm. I stood still, staring up at the figure that looked so much like our mother. The eyes, the smile, the hair...looked so much like her, but I knew it couldn't be. She'd died...

As I heard the front door close softly, the sound of music filled the house. My eyes began to fill with tears as I remembered...it was the very last song my dad played on the very guitar I was holding tightly onto.

I looked into the ghost of my mothers eyes, and smiled for the first, real time in the past 3 years. Her smile spread wide across her face, she looked normal, perfect. My parents had always been the most perfect people in my life, and I would never let anything taint that.

Soon another figure came into view. My eyes no longer able to hold the tears back as I saw my dad's smiling face. I wanted to run to them, to hold them so close they would never leave again. But I couldn't. It was impossible...

They held hands. Smiling at me, but I felt in the pit of my gut, that this was goodbye. The goodbye they never got to say...

I mouthed the three words that had been stuck on my tongue for so long. They both smiled at me happily, and then I watched their ghostly bodies fade into the darkness.

Tears streamed down my face. Unable to hold anything together anymore. My knees hit the floor first, before I felt my head thumb against the marble floor. Guitar still in hand, I cried and cried until there wasn't a tear left inside me.

Cindy soon returned and rushed to my side. She pulled me to my feet and cupped my face in between her hands. Her eyes searching mine.

"Dorabella...it's time to go" she spoke softly. Her cheeks were stained with tear trails, she'd been crying too...I hated thinking of my sister upset.

I looked down to the guitar still held tightly in my hand. Cindy left my side and collected the last boxes before walking to the front door for the last time. Her voice called my name across the great space and in no time at all, my feet had dragged me to her side.

She walked off towards her car, Daisy was strapped in her car seat all snug. Her face looked like she'd already fallen asleep.

One last look into the house, I whispered those words one last time...

"I love you"

As I turned to leave, a breeze rushed up behind me. I closed my eyes, refilled inside with the breeze and then jumped slightly as I heard my parents voices speak back.

"We love you too Dorabella"
♠ ♠ ♠