Status: working on it.

My Darling

Chapter 4

Chapter 4
I woke up in the middle of the street. I didn’t have any idea how I got there, or where I was, and there was a swelling pain in my stomach. I stood up shakily, hoping to find a way back home.
“Trevor!” a most familiar voice squealed from behind me. I turned and found Hailie running up behind me, smiling huge. “How did you know where I was?! How did you even get here so fast?!”
Now I was even more lost than before. “Where are we?”
She grew a very puzzled look, which quickly faded to worry. “What do you mean? We’re in Denver. Colorado. You didn’t know this?”
That came as a huge shock to me. Here I was, thousands of miles from home, and I had no idea how I got there. I just woke up, in the middle of the street, in a different state.
“You can’t be serious,” I finally said, unable to grasp the whole situation. I looked around, trying to find a bit of proof that I was still in Portland. But all I found were signs pointing to Colorado. “How did I get here?” I whispered to myself. Without a second thought, I turned around and started running. I couldn’t handle this anymore.
“Trevor! Wait!” Hailie said, trying to catch up. I turned my head back and looked her in the eye. I saw fear, confusion, sadness, and a mixture of other emotions. She was just as lost as I was.
“What do you want?” I said, shocked by my own words. I had never acted this way towards her in my life.
“I just want to know what’s going on. Suddenly I see you in the middle of my new city, and without a word you start off in the opposite direction. What’s the matter with you?”
I shook my head. I didn’t know what to do.
“We have to make this work,” she added, pleading in her voice. She dropped to her knees and begged for me to stay.
“We don’t have to make this work.” I finally said, turning and walking away. I couldn’t hear or see anything anymore; I just kept moving forward.
After what felt like a few minutes, I shook myself out of my daze. I looked up at the sky, and it was night time again.
What’s going on? I thought. It felt like it had been five minutes, not ten hours. It couldn’t be this dark already. It just wasn’t possible.
But it is. I added, as if I was having a conversation with myself. I didn’t know where that came from, but I just knew it was true. Something was going on… and in a way I liked the way it felt. Somehow I felt powerful.
Suddenly I realized there was something weighing down my pocket. I reached in, expecting my smashed cell phone, but what I found added so much to my confusion: a silver pistol.
“Where the hell did that come from?” I asked myself, dropping it on the pavement. I winced as it made a loud clunk against the ground. I was starting to fear myself. But the powerful side of me suddenly took over, and I put the gun back in my pocket. I was a new me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please.